Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking about building a home entertainment PC (PVR)

Options
  • 27-05-2004 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

Can anyone offer advice? Looking to setup my PC as a PVR. A working EPG is a must. I'm looking for simular fuctionality to Sky+. Here's my setup at the moment:

ATI All in wonder 9000
    P4 2.8
    Win XP Pro
    512MB DDR RAM
    Pioneer A06 DVD Writer.

I understand mythtv is the best software package but doesn't work with AIW cards and also requires linux. Has anyone any experience with showshifter?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Even if you're not a Linux head, I'd look again at the ATI AIW choice. Probably for the same money an nVidia card with a hardware MPEG2 card like the WinTV PVR350 or PVR250 would replace the AIW card. Thing is that MythTV is known to work very well with that setup.

As to the choice of Win XP Pro, you certainly won't be let down, although it does seem like a lot of cash when you won't be using most of its features. Check out Windows Media Centre Edition although AFAIK it's not for boxed sale.

If you did change your mind to MythTV there are a few linux distributions which have the 'linux' bit and MythTV in one so you don't need to do any linux customisation stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Sorry Red I should have said the setup I quoted is my current setup.
    Check out Windows Media Centre Edition although AFAIK it's not for boxed sale
    Your right you have to buy the multimedia box (PC and software).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

i put a PVR together - a shuttle box, XP2000cpu, 512mb RAM, wireless mouse & keyboard, nvidia TV card (incl remote that never gets used), showshifter + digiguide.

Literally haven't used my VCR since. Rules.

Showshifter is pretty good & integrates well with digiguide (just right click the programme listing in digiguide & select "record in showshifter")

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/vga/vga/pro_vga_detail.php?UID=459&MODEL=MS-8918

http://www.digiguide.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Pete - So what do you do record your programs to Mpeg2 and burn to DVD or do you view directly from your Pc to TV?

Advertisement