Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

25 driving lessons!

Options
  • 27-05-2004 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

I recently called Eagle Star for a quote on car insurance.
    Here is the criteria:

Aged 22
    Provisional
    First Time Insurance
    97 Pug 106 - 1 litre @ 2,000 yo yo's

Grand total of 3750 yo yos.

I said "Ouch" so she said "Well we could do this".

Basically if I do 25 driving lessons and get it signed by the instructor I can get insured for 2140 yo yos.

Now thats a big drop - and its also with a provisional!
    So when i get my full it will drop even more.

Has anybody ever gone this route with insurance? Am I the victim of some sort of scam? (Obviously 25 lessons will cost a bomb but not as muck as 1,600 id save on insurance)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do you have to do the lessons on someone else's (e.g. instructor's car) insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Well she said once you do 25 driving lessons with any instructor it will be fine. I would presume it will be with his/hers insurance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

I had to do that aswell when i started driving a 2.0L car at 17.

Go down to your lesson center and pay them for the 25 lessons and they will give you the cert signed. Thats what i had to do mind you i took about 7 of the lessons.

Thats what i was wondering. Will i have to do the full 25 lessons? It seems like a good deal.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

The driving lesson people just want their money.. They dont really want to spend 25 hours in the car with you :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I did 25 hr lessons as well, 12 lessons lasting 2 hr each way back in 2002 :)

Lessons were done in the instructors car before i started driving insured in my own.

That was the deal with Eagle Star, it's credited as 1 yr NCB before you start your insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

€3750 -> €2140 - thats €1610 of a saving.

25 lessons @ ~€20 each = ~€500.

€1110 of a saving altogether.

I suppose it's worth it - just apply for your full test now ( www.drivingtest.ie ?), get the certificate, and then over time, take the lessons.

I still have to go for my theory test and all. I suppose im lookin at a long wait for the full licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Could you not just go to a local instructor (the one-car setup rather than large driving school) and offer him a couple of hundred quid for the cert? Assuming you already know how to drive and all that....

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Doing 25 hours of lessons for a reduction of 1600 yoyos is a no-brainer. But ignore the suggestions of not doing the lessons or only taking a couple of hours. :rolleyes: You'll have paid for them and you might actually _learn_ something. Making the roads safer for the rest of us and this is what will reduce premiums/premia for everyone

My suggestion would be to go to a bigger driving school, so that if you're not happy with the first instructor you can easily change. You might also be able to get some lessons from an 'advanced' driving instructor if you're competent enough. Don't be scared off by the advanced thingy. Take a look at RoADA
    This is similar to the Hibernian Ignition scheme and some insurance companies will give discounts for passing an advanced test. Anyway you're standard of driving will be better and even though there are maniacs out there, you can spot them and avoid them.

</comment value="$0.02">

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

Originally posted by a_ominous
    some insurance companies will give discounts for passing an advanced test./B]

i think hibernian offer a 30% discount and you can still do ignition for a further 20% and then add on any ncb or named driver experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

mmmm, interesting,, thanks loobz, after reading this i rang eagle star to get quote on car i just bought,,

'97 fiat punto, 1.2, 20yrs old, provisional.. 5400 ying yangs!!:(

25 lessons later that goes down to 3000 :D

then with full licence that'll half:D

the best part is,,, my bro just started a new job as..................

A DRIVING INSTRUCTOR

oh the joy:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

oh the joy

Indeed. He gets to take the revenge he's been waiting for for years ... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

afaik in belgium and other european countries you have to get X amount of lessons before you're allowed on the road by yourself at all, a similar mandatory instruction system here would go a long way in curbing the excesses of beginner drivers who are out driving after the bare minimum of practice.
    Might help make insurance premiums somewhat reasonable too (who am I kidding)
    It also inculcates good driving habits in people, as opposed to having to "un-learn" bad habits when you come to do your test.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

echomadman, what you're referring to is compulsory basic training. We had a visitor from France over with us recently and he said IIRC 10 hours driving-school training (to a minimum standard) is required before he can take his kids out in the family car.
    I mentioned this in this thread.
    Not just for bikes, but it will probably start with bikes. And it's due this year.

Cool. This Eagle Star thing seems to be an excellent deal. Newband, would yer bro give me a discount for giving you the information? Only joking! Glad u got it cheaper.

Im gonna take my lessons from a local instructor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DrummerBoy

Originally posted by conZ
    25 lessons @ ~€20 each = ~€500.

Where you getting lessons at €20? Or you just guessing that price? So far the cheapest I've found is €30/h

I agree. It will be around 30 a pop. But i was speaking with an instructor and he said he would cut a deal with me if i was getting 25 lessons. So i'll wait and see what he offers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

jesus I remember the days when it was £10 a lesson

• Advertisement
Advertisement