Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Broadband for 3 months!

• 27-05-2004 8:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

IOL seem to be offering a free 3 month broadband trial. I spoke to one of the salesmen and he said it was 100% free, they would supply the modem and you would be under no obligation to keep the broadband connection after the 3 month trial.

see here for more details: http://www.iol.ie/broadband/bb_offer.htm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

sweet, i'll be signing for that as soon as i get my phone line connected:)
    utv and eircom are also doing a "free trial" offer, both have strings attatched though.

8gb cap though... think i'll wait and see if digiweb offer a trial (20gb cap for €45 - yummeh:) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

I went for the Broadband Plus Trial thus I get the 16 Gig Cap and 24:1 Contention, I won't be in my current residence for twelve months so this free broadband is a bit of a gift from eircom/IOL.

The only bad thing to come out of this is the fact that I will be forking out €€€s for a new system to utilise the BB as my current box is too slow, noisy and only has 11 gigs in its two harddrives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭SteM

Surely UTV are the best one to take up the offer with though? UTV's monthly fee after the 3 months (+ 1 free) is €29.99 wheras IOL's monthly fee is €39.99 or am I missing something?

tman, what strings are attached the eircom and utv offer that aren't attached to the IOL offer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ruxpin

Just a word of warning on this...while you're under no obligation to keep the Broadband connection after the three months I understand that if you don't request to have it cancelled, in writing, before the end of the three months then you'll automatically be moved into a twelve month contract.

Someone even told me that you have to pay the full installation charge once you move from the trial into the twelve month contract but you'd have to double check that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

There just roping you in! wouldnt pay for broadband until it was at least €25 big rip off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭muffinhead

Originally posted by Ruxpin
    Just a word of warning on this...while you're under no obligation to keep the Broadband connection after the three months I understand that if you don't request to have it cancelled, in writing, before the end of the three months then you'll automatically be moved into a twelve month contract.

Someone even told me that you have to pay the full installation charge once you move from the trial into the twelve month contract but you'd have to double check that.

yeah you have to cancel the contract in writing before the three months is up. but they don't charge the full installation price until month 5!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I'll probably go for this for the Summer... free Broadband for the Summer... I'm there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Originally posted by The Real B-man
    There just roping you in! wouldnt pay for broadband until it was at least €25 big rip off

€30 with utv is not so bad, the only sticking point i can see is the 8GB cap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭ozmo

€30 with utv is not so bad, the only sticking point i can see is the 8GB cap.
    Surely UTV are the best one to take up the offer with though?

Before deciding to go with Eircom, UTV, Netsource or IOL, or others - look at more than the Cap they give. Check out the Broadband forums..
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=259

In my opinion- Eircom is not the most expensive, but Is probably the best service, but unfortunitely also the lowest cap. Some broadbands can give a poor service and/or speeds.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I notice the registration page is real slow!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by SteM
    tman, what strings are attached the eircom and utv offer that aren't attached to the IOL offer?
    with the eircom offering, you have to be a user of their "unlimited" dial up package beforehand.
    with utv, you have to pay the installation fee.

as far as i can tell, there's no installation fee for the iol offer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭drane2

tman that's not quite true.

If you're an eircom flat rate customer already then they'll give you BB for 29.99 per month with no connection fee.

If you're not an eircom flat rate customer then they'll give you BB for 39.99 per month with 3 months free and no connection fee.

Even after three months eircom won't charge a connection fee. I also think the router they are giving out with eircom is slightly better than the UTV/IOL one and eircom will give you a wireless router if you pay 50 euro extra.

With IOL/UTV you have to pay the connection fee after the free time is up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭popey21

Nice one im getting it free in the next 10-12 working days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

I rang Eircom yesterday asking about this free trial, seemingly, after the 3 months is up you HAVE to sign up for a 12 Month contract at 40 Euro a month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭SteM

Originally posted by bombidol
    I rang Eircom yesterday asking about this free trial, seemingly, after the 3 months is up you HAVE to sign up for a 12 Month contract at 40 Euro a month

You sure about this? It would seem pointless having a trial of something if you HAVE to sign up? I think someone might be telling you porkies.

I've signed up for UTVIP's trial and there's no conditions. You don't have to sign up after 3 months (just return the modem) and you don't pay the €99 sign up fee until after your trial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭ozmo

Originally posted by SteM
    You sure about this? It would seem pointless having a trial of something if you HAVE to sign up? I think someone might be telling you porkies.

Thats cos its not a trial. Its 3 months free if you sign up (their wording).
    IOL's one is a trial. Dont know bout UTV.

“Roll it back”

Advertisement