Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School league tables

• 27-05-2004 8:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

I turned on the news to here them giving out about league tables being published.
    I didnt see these anywhere. Could someone please tell me who published these and when they were published, or even better send me a link to said article.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

The closest things I've seen were lists in the Irish Times recently showing how many pupils schools had sent to Ireland's universities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I think that is what they are talking about Simu. The times used FOI to get the figures from the CAO showing which school send how many pupils to each uni. They then published this as a kind of league table.

I think the story is actually that the CAO will no longer release this data due to the data protection act. They say that they do not hvae a problem with league tables per se, but are worried about the fact that the data is being used for a purpose other than the one for which it was collected. Apparently this goes againt data protection legislation.

MrP

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by MrPudding
    Apparently this goes againt data protection legislation.

Not so according to the Data Protection Commissioner's office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Originally posted by monument
    Not so according to the Data Protection Commissioner's office.

I just read that 15 minutes ago in todays paper. None the less, it was one of the reasons given by the CAO before thay sought legal advise.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by MrPudding
    I just read that 15 minutes ago in todays paper. None the less, it was one of the reasons given by the CAO before thay sought legal advise.

RTE had some one from Data Protection office on the news last night.

Anyway I think what was published was pretty much the same nature as census data. And even someone who has never read the Data Protection guidelines can see mass statistical data is not personal information.

Advertisement