Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What phone/network/options to choose?

Options
  • 27-05-2004 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I want to buy a new phone.
    I currently have an o2 sim and would like to keep the number.
    I don't have allot of money so would like to keep it as cheap as possible.
    I am eligible for an upgrade says o2.ie.

Decisions:
    Meteor Nokia 3100 with €80 credit and free Lotr DVD for €120
    Meteor Nokia 3510i with €80 credit and free Lort DVD for €99
    Stick with o2 (do I stick to nokia which I know gives me all the features I want, but are not as durable as I'd like them to be, or do I try another phone? Which?)

I don't really fancy changing my number although Meteor do have better prices (please correct me if I'm wrong informing me of differences)

and if I buy that I will have to use up €80 in Meteor Sim, get phone and unlocked for o2 sim.

My mams phone has gone kaput also, she just got an o2 Nokia 3510i Upgrade pack for €109. With €80 free credit and it says something about getting €120 free credit if you have topped up your over €100.

Now, I currently own a 3510(not i), it is really easy to use and user friendly and does everything I want it to do. But it is broken and wont work properly, does crazy stuff. The features I like are the text layout, ease of view, ease of use, the way when you press delete it doesn't clear the whole screen stuff like that, there are loads of little things you notice but can't remember.

I want a sturdy phone that will last.

I don't really care for polyphonic,pictures or any of that malark, although it is a plus.

Could somebody please throw some sollutions my way?

I would like to stick with pay as you go option also.

One more thing, I have already registered my current number to o2, got free credit and even the credit online. Will I still be entitled to the €80/120 top up?

Thank you very much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

actually... what are the pros and cons of going bill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Originally posted by cormie

I currently have an o2 sim and would like to keep the number.

You can keep your 086 number if you move to Meteor.

The main pro's for going bill are probably reliabilty in that you can always make a call or send a text without having to worry about credit, you'll also pay less for a better phone. The only con is that your mobile costs may increase a bit, depending on your usage.

I may do the change my network not my number thing. I hear meteor is way better value?? so would I be able to upgrade my o2 thing and get the 80/120 credit and then just change to meteor? Would credit be transferred?
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Credit won't be transferred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭J-537

Hi cormie,

I think you should just stick with o2 if you want to keep your number and like neev said "Credit won't be transferred" if you moved to meteor !

I don't know if you have a car or not but I was just on the o2 site and saw this http://web.o2.ie/personal/promotions/car_kit.jsp its a great deal and I'd go for the 3100 its a nice little phone and not to dear.

Nokia 3100 Mobile Phone
    Plus Car Kit
    Plus Installation

For only €139

* Offer is available for all new and upgrading customers and is subject to a tariff. This offer is available until 31st May 2004. All prices quoted are VAT inclusive. The prices quoted above are subject to O2's terms & conditions regarding activation levels.

• Advertisement

for the hint, but it's only for bill pay customers, I think I'll just keep to pay as you go, so much easier.

Anyway, the decision I've made is to go with Meteor. I'm going to get the 3100 for €119 in extra vision, where I will get a free DVD:) and hopefully a staff discount if the manager is in cuz my bro works there. I'll get €80 credit with that and I'm going to change my o2 sim to meteor, keep the same number so that problem is no more:)

o2 offer upgrade to 3100 for €199. You can get 80 free credit or 120 if you've topped up enough with your current sim. So I'd be paying 80 for the phone basically. Too much!! Will be paying 60 for it with Meteor and getting free DVD and hopefully staff discount of about 12. Works out at about 30/40 for phone. Also meteor rates don't look to shabby.

I probably would have gone for o2 3100 offer if it was for pay as you go also. Free car kit (i cant talk on phone and drive at the same time, I'm only a learner!) ah well.

ok, so I got the 3100 in xtra-vision (meteor) for €119, first annoying thing that happened was my bro rang me about 30 mins after I opened it and put in sim+stuff and said that the manager was working in Bray and they got the 3100 in and I could get a staff discount. But I'd already bought it. 2nd, I was out in Bray and there was no signal in the place I was. Then I wanted to put my meteor sim in my old phone to copy names from o2 sim, to phone, to meteor sim. o2 sim takes 250 names and meteor only 200. So I would have to delete 50 or so names. Then, coverage goes in my bedroom, no coverage now so. Which is terrible. I'm in my bedroom quite allot between sleeping and what not, over 8 hours per 24 hours.

So now I'm in a dilema. I think I may just have to return the phone to xtra-vision for a full refund and just get an o2 upgrade. €199 for upgrade with up to €120 credit with o2. The calls and texts are only slightly cheaper for meteor, but you get 250 free texts per month from o2, whereas with meteor, you only get 30. And the o2 interface for web text is excellent. So I think I'll be sticking with o2. Now one thing, I can get a full refund within 14 days it says in the o2 user thingy. So I have what, €80 credit in the phone at the moment. Can I use that up and still get the full refund or what? anyone know? I'm not going to do it for the sake of it, just wondering.
    Pretty frustrated.

ok, so I just unlocked my 3100 for free off http://www.nokiafx.net/unlock.htm, took about 1 minute. So now my 3100 takes my o2 and my meteor. I'm going to take complete advantage of this, keep both sims and use both. I'll have my 250 texts from o2 per month and I'll have €80 worth of meteor credit to use, I think I'll ring up and change to the daytime option so if I need to call somebody during the day, it will only cost 13c or something. Think I'll just block my meteor number when calling so people don't get confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Originally posted by PhoenixRising
    The only con is that your mobile costs may increase a bit, depending on your usage.

Mobile costs are generally cheaper for bill payers(certainly are for me..). It just depends if u go mad since u are on a bill fone and ring/text constantly....

Advertisement