Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reading Positions...

Options
  • 27-05-2004 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭

Bit of a lurid title i know but i've always struggled to keep my neck and back in a pain free position while reading, i can't find a good seating position already.
    On the bus after a while my neck pain just finds some Zen-like position where it becomes pain-free but i don't want to re-create this position in my home.
    So i'm asking for your best reading positions please... :cool:

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I spent my entire weekend on a two-seater couch at least ONCE, reading with a steady supply of snacks and drinks.

My recommendation: Two-seater couch. Lying down, with one side against a wall and about three pillows to prop you up.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

My favourite position is on the couch beside my girlfriend, I take up about 3/4 sitting on my own legs and leaning on the arm rest with my shoulder. Reason for g/f is she always moves about which reminds me to move now and then so i don't stop the blood circulation in my legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Always found lying in bed with two pillows propping me up worked best. Turning from side to side and onto my back to keep circulation going. Failing that just sitting comfortably in an arm chair with something to drink and some snacks.

Actually might just go do that right now....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

I sit crossed-legged on the bed, two pillows behind, I hold the book open on the bed with one foot (no shoes obviously) and it leaves hands free to eat/drink whatever.
    I find this really comfortable.

Would love to invent something for reading while actually in bed. I constantly have to turn matress from digging holes in it from leaning on my elbow reading. And no matter how warm the house is you always suffer from one cold hand syndrome late at night from holding the book. I will invent something that allows you to move in bed anyway you wish and the book just follows, it also turns pages so your hands dosen't have come out from under the duvet. Oh heaven.
    Any suggestions/blue prints this way please.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by nesf
    Always found lying in bed with two pillows propping me up worked best. Turning from side to side and onto my back to keep circulation going.

Yes I do similar myself. Most of my reading is done in bed (which sometimes leads to late nights if book grabs my attention)

Otherwise, sitting in the car, with seat put back a bit. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

Originally posted by nads
    i've always struggled to keep my neck and back in a pain free position while reading, i can't find a good seating position already.

One of these might help http://tinyurl.com/2u6pk

The seating position is designed so that the only way to sit comfortably is with your neck and back straight. I picked one up in Argos in Limerick a few weeks ago and its the business

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by fragile
    The seating position is designed so that the only way to sit comfortably is with your neck and back straight. I picked one up in Argos in Limerick a few weeks ago and its the business
    I find my one bloody useless, but that's because I'm so small :), I can't hook my feet properly, what I'd really wish for would be an extra set of arms :D. With four arms I could eat and read at the same time.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

The best way for me during the day is sitting at a table with the book on table and drink beside leaning over book with arms folded till time to turn page. If I sit on a couch I tend to lay down and fall asleep, same as when I read before I go to bed...I dont get much reading done because I fall asleep with book in hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

In work - Sitting with feet on desk!
    At home - Either in recliner with foot rest up or lying on my belly on the floor!
    In bed - Lying on my side, suffering from:
    Originally posted by gogo
    one cold hand syndrome

There was me thinking that I was the only one to suffer from that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Beatrix

I love to read while standing. This sometimes turns to leaning against something like the stove in the kitchen for warmth and things like that but it's great for keeping my attention on the book. I sit down every so often to take the occasional sip from my cup of tea too... Yes that does it... I'm strange.

• Advertisement
Advertisement