Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[ Mod News ] Battlefield 1918 'Minor Release 1.30'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

why dont they just use the vietnam engine for mods now ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

Cos Vietnam's a glorified expansion pack, and BF2 will be out soon enough witha brand new engine for mods. Makes no sense to switch to a new engine, when you'll be switching again a few months after.
    Plus Vietnam has lower Poly counts on it's models.

I love BF1918, second favorite mod out there (and only one of two ww1 mods Winters :p) When the introduce the Brits and Ottomans I think i'll cream my pants at the first sign of the Mk5 tank :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

is that the full release i need to play there that 333mb file?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Cant wait to get home to try this :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    is that the full release i need to play there that 333mb file?

Yup remove any old versions before install ,bad thigns happen seemingly.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Well downloaded it and tbh it seems total sh*t

• Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

calling Vietnam a glorified expansion pack is idiotic.

Vietnam is a great game :) thats all that matters

Originally posted by Tusky
    calling Vietnam a glorified expansion pack is idiotic.

But true.

kdjac

Big "problem" with bf1918 is the handling of the planes, they certainly feel like they're made of canvas and wood :D If you're used to DC, you're not going to like bf1918.

BF:V is a cash cow milking the BF series; it doesn't offer enough for mod teams to switch over, especially as I said when BF2 is around the corner, which answers the original question about mods + BF :p

• Advertisement

Originally posted by regeneration
    Big "problem" with bf1918 is the handling of the planes, they certainly feel like they're made of canvas and wood :D If you're used to DC, you're not going to like bf1918.

Na the big problem is that its total sh*t tbh and the planes are easy as hell to fly

Meh, suit yourself :)

BF:V is a cash cow milking the BF series; it doesn't offer enough for mod teams to switch over, especially as I said when BF2 is around the corner, which answers the original question about mods + BF :p

it blatantly isn't, if anything the expansion packs where the cash cows, vietnam is a much different game you either like it or you don't, but its not milking the series imo as its so different, with regards to mod teams, to switch over, BF 2 hadn't been announced when vietnam had been released so they may have thought about it and BF: 2 won't be around for a while so it still may happen, perhaps not though

What data said vietnam is a totaly different experiance to battlefield 1942

Weird i posted news about BF2 on TMT before I even knew about Vietnam. Vietnam is an Expansion pack ,from looking at everything in it there isnt much new to it models and HUD and thats about it.

Its a good game but its not Bf42 which is still the king (according to players online right it will remain so for a long time)

Regen is correct noone is seriously modding for BfV its not worth the effort its a cash cow that will be long forgotten by the time Bf2 comes out and i bet Bf42 is still being played online more than BFV at that time.

kdjac

oh come on both 1942 and Vietnam will be killed by BF2 it will be far better than both games

Originally posted by KdjaC
    Weird i posted news about BF2 on TMT before I even knew about Vietnam. Vietnam is an Expansion pack ,from looking at everything in it there isnt much new to it models and HUD and thats about it.

Its a good game but its not Bf42 which is still the king (according to players online right it will remain so for a long time)

Regen is correct noone is seriously modding for BfV its not worth the effort its a cash cow that will be long forgotten by the time Bf2 comes out and i bet Bf42 is still being played online more than BFV at that time.

kdjac

yeah perhaps, i was going with winters super modding newsletters, i will never consider it an expansion pack or a cash cow, if it was it would have been released on the same engine and you would have needed the original to play and they would have seen fit to release it with the v1.6 updates (which they should have done anyway).

with regards to it being long forgotten i can't see that happening, a few updates and a few more maps and happy days, i thought for a while we would all jump back to DC but i can't see that happening now, though i may be proved wrong now that i seem to be playing most nights a week

data

Originally posted by Dataisgod , with regards to mod teams, to switch over, BF 2 hadn't been announced when vietnam had been released so they may have thought about it and BF: 2 won't be around for a while so it still may happen, perhaps not though [/B]

If you look under the hood of BF:V, the code is 90% the same, the models are the same format, everything's the same, except there's a new HUD and new shader effects; so it looks slightly different. Granted it plays different, cos there's a new emphasis on gameplay - tanks are less important, choppers are in, and infantry combat is tweaked. But 90% of the game is modified BF1942 engine.
    You pay 50euro for something that was do-able on the BF42 engine.

It hadn't been announced, but it was known that EA would make a BF related announcement at the E3 expo - it was widely suspected that it would probably be BF2. So most mod teams held off from engine switching until E3, lo and behold BF2 was announced, with a lot more coding possiblities than BF:V.

To port of to BF:V, and I know this for a fact, would take months to accomplish entirelly for large BF1942 mods. Plus as it's set in Vietnam, for DC/FH/bf1918/Silent Heroes etc, you have to make shed-loads of new buildings trees etc, adding another block of time (you can't use BF42 stuff in BF:V). So instead of spending that time converting to BF:V, start preparing for BF2.

Also BFv increased size ratio hence it looks like things are bigger which i dont like.

Me wonders who here actually likes Vanilla BF ,i prefer that to any mod or exp pack.

kdjac

tanks are less important, choppers are in, and infantry combat is tweaked. But 90% of the game is modified BF1942 engine.
    You pay 50euro for something that was do-able on the BF42 engine.

as opposed to perhaps paying 30euro for something that may not have looked so good and required a number of new players to have bought the original?

with regards to the gameplay though this is what is important to me, the recent patch has put more emphasis back on tanks mainly due to the removal of the m60/law combination, choppers are in and there is a more sneaky element to the game with regards to the mobile spawns, control towers and the fact that nearly every base is takeable, no more screams of camping for the most part.

another thing i think which is important, the the smaller maps, more focus on infantry combat with vehicle support as it should be, no maps like el al and gazala which i presonnally don't like, the end result for me nam floats my boat, i just wanna run around with guns and kill people online, the sneaky aspect appeals to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

However many mods have indeed already converted to BFV. Conflict in Somalia is one to watch [They will make one release of their mod in BF42 as they had been working on it up until BFV came out on the '42 engine]. Also worth lookign at is Black Hawk Down mod.

Both of those mods moved to BFV from BF42 for obvious reasons. Both mods have also been in progress for a couple of years now.

At the moment mods are choosing an engine that suits their mod. If they want choppers they will usually opt for BFV as it is supioror in heli physics and features ability to fire out the side etc.

Im off for a shower. My feet smell.

Originally posted by KdjaC

Me wonders who here actually likes Vanilla BF ,i prefer that to any mod or exp pack.

kdjac

i prefare DC tbh, though i had a bout of vanilla online before i had DC and i enjoyed it

Most people i convinced to buy it have only played vanilla once and got it only for DC.

BFV is a stop gap a full price one at that ,good game and Dice still have a small team working on it so ecpectations are for 1 more patch and some goodies after that (not the promised things already posted more after that).

BF42 has only 2 people working on it and not a patch (i reckon they gonna give out the source ). And everyone else at Dice is on BF2 and console versions.

kdjac

The source won't released. The engine wasn't modularised to separate the renderer from the game code, so you can't release one without releasing the other, and no company would release their renderer. I did read that BF1942 would be patched to 1.9; I don't think DICE sweden are working on it anymore.
    However many mods have indeed already converted to BFV. Conflict in Somalia is one to watch [...] Also worth lookign at is Black Hawk Down mod.
    The only Major (as in re: players) one that's changed to BF:V is EoD (and battlegroup42). Both those somalia mods have been in development limbo for months now - CiS released a 0.1 alpha ages ago (around the days of DC 0.2/3), it stunk something serious (unskinned models floating in the air etc). 2 years of dev time and they release unskinned shots to the news every month. I'd be surprised if they release.
    BF2 will have chopper code, higher poly counts, more dynamic enviromental effects. It makes no sense to change to BF:V unless youre, I dunno, nuts or whatever, or think you can make a release before BF2 *shrug*
    as opposed to perhaps paying 30euro for something that may not have looked so good and required a number of new players to have bought the original?
    Secret Weapons did pretty well; if you market the game as a bundle - which they're doing now with BF42 +exp packs, there's no reason to think people won't shell out €50/60 for the complete package. I guess you can either look at it as coy/sneaky PR by EA, or as a standalone filler.

Soooooooo... bf1918 anyone? ;) Anything with zepplins is good to me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭FranDrastic

EXCELLENT! Zeppelins eh.......? Ohhh, roll on me broadband.....

Advertisement