Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Internet access

• 28-05-2004 6:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi, I posted the following on the Komplet board, maybe it was the wrong board.

I did get a responce that the Apple Airport device might work. The problem with it is that it is quite dear. Anyone any suggetsions??

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have a laptop at home. Is there a product that I can get to make my laptop wireless. I don't have broadband. I have a normal telephone line. Can I get an access point to plug into my telephone line and then with a pc card connect to the Internet wirelessly. The reason I am asking this is that it is annoying having to roll out my cable very time I ned to go on to the Internet.

Can anyone help me???

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

You have two choices from what I can see.

1. You get a wireless adapter for your laptop and a wireless PCI card for your PC and you network both machines over this connection, and just use internet connection sharing like you would if they were a wired network.

2. (And this is what I did) You get a wireless router to control your network and a wireless adapter for your laptop, the router will have normal RJ45 ports for your wired PC to plug in to. Again you can just use internet connection sharing. This is slightly more expensive than option 1 and takes a bit of setting up, but a router offers more expansion possibilities and more network functionality.

I had my dial-up connection shared using option 2 whilst I was waiting for my ADSL to be activated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 conorw

My problem is that I only have a laptop, so I can't work the solution that you have given me. The Apple Airport device is an application that I think might work, but it is a bit expensive. I was wondering if anyone had seen anything cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Im sure there are a couple of wireless routers out there with a port for a modem connection...try to source one of them, from memory it was either Dlink or Belkin that did it.

Then you just get connect a external modem to your phone line and the router, and then get a wireless card for your laptop. You might pay a bit of a premium for doing this tho....

It might actually be cheaper to do what the previous poster suggested. Pick up a dirt cheap 2-3rd hand pc. Probably anything Pentium class with 128mb of ram will do. Install WinXP and an wireless networking card and set up Internet Connection sharing on it. Add a wireless card to your laptop and bobs your uncle.

Personally in your situation I would get a few phone extension sockets put in your house and several 10m extension leads....

[edit] this is what I was thinking of... [/edit]

Advertisement