Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP or 2K?

Options
  • 28-05-2004 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

Hey

Been having an awful amount of problems with windows recently. No idea if its the hardware (Built it myself). The stuff I've on it... or just windows acting the mick!

All my games crash eventually which is annoying as I bought warcraft 3 the other day (Been playing warcraft 2 for the last 6 years heh). IIS is acting up and just won't load any pages... if it does it does so at an extremely slow rate.

I've up to date AVG. Firewall, windowsupdate.com, updated drivers.

I'm on win2k btw :)

I use visual studio.net and sql2k after that its mainly a home comp. So is there any advantage / disadvantage to moving over to win xp? I get the MSDN subscription through work so I have access to both.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

When I used 2K a while back I always had trouble with games - most requiring patches to work in the OS!

I've been pushing ppl towards XP Pro if possible - or if they feel up to it, Linux, But given the choice btw XP + 2K, XP wins hands down! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

You never said what sort of hardware was in the PC ....

If its a decent machine go with XP (turn off all the eye candy and its quite nippy even on an older machine) but saying that, Win2000 is a grand OS .... could be just time to reinstall the OS, clear out that registry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Warcraft 3 and the Frozen Throne has network timeout issues. Were you playing multiplayer? Have you installed all the Warcraft patches?

I had a lot of games crash for a while after first OS install. Turns out W2k decided to install the wrong graphics card drivers. I checked it out later and found it had installed the w98/me ones instead of th w2k ones. Fixing that helped a bit, though some games still crashed. Some games don't like newer versions of DirectX than their recommended ones also.

Are you having software problems at all? Apart from IIS (could it be a DNS problem?) - did you run the IIS lockdown tool? I've seen that cause mayhem, but is easily fixed.

Personally I think XP sucks d*nkeys b*lls. Then again I'm using Mandrake mostly these days, and just booting into 2k now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

A clean install, whether 2k or XP will solve the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I find both XP and 2K to be fine, very stable. Both played all my games (besides ancient DOS ones, which XP is better for) without problems. (*waits for linux zealot to comment*)

If you updated any of your hardware drivers through windowsupdate, maybe try downloading individual driver packages from the manufacturers. Drivers that WU installed for my soundcard buggered it up, whereas ones straight from the manufacturer worked just fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Hey the comp is good enough

1 gig o ram, barton 2500, radeon 9600 pro :)

I've installed that lockdown tool so I guess thats causeing the problems. Any idea on how to undo them?

So a fresh install of win2k will do the trick perhaps ? Does that mean I've to get all the server packs again ? Currently on SP 5 :(

Advertisement