Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clapping in the cinima at the end of a movie

• 28-05-2004 11:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭

What do u all think about this?
    I have seen ppl do it at the end of Passion and Troy and Kill Bill.

Ive never done it but then again i didnt see the 1st matrix in the cinima and at the end of kill bill (volume 2 i consider it to be just 1 large movie) i just watched all the trailers in awe at how brillent the movie was.

Ive never clapped before but
    Im sure ill clap at a movie some day if it is very very good.

Your views on clapping in the cinima 66 votes

Ill do it if the movie is good
    0% 0 votes
    It makes no sence to do it
    4% 3 votes
    The movie would have to be VERY VERY good before i would clap at it
    56% 37 votes
    WTF??? ive never heard someone clap in the cinima before
    39% 26 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

now what in the sweet name of **** is the point of doing that?
    at a premiere, sure, why not. but on your average trip to the cinema???!?!?!

good job mr projectionist... nicely kept in focus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

ahahah! Where was this? Was it a little cinema in a backward town, like the cinema in Father Ted? :-))))

That sounds pretty cringeworthy, it's up there with applauding when your flight touches down (which happens with curious regularity even on short hop flights to the UK that i've taken)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

All 3 times i heard it , it was in UGC in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭kahlua

They're American :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Seen people doing it at UCI aswell, I don't get it...

It's not a play, it's not a premier where the director is actually sitting right over there. What's the point in applauding?

If you enjoyed it so much, run home and post a review on IMDB :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Ted_striker

At the end of Kill Bill II in Galway the guy beside me started to clap while shouting out OOOooo worth waiting for ,worth waiting for .:D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'm a regular UGC goer, much like User, but I've only once seen the clap there - it was during "From Hell" - BWAH! I'm such a wit! (From Hell has prostitutes and... oh never mind).
    More seriously, people clapped on the opening night of Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. I guess that made sense, given the level of anticipation. I think there was scattered applause after a few other movies (maybe "Finding Nemo") but nothing ever all that strong.
    Personally I'm not a fan. I'm not even much of a fan for clapping, even at a life performance. It just seems a rather daft gesture to me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

I remember being at the first showing of The Fellowship of the Ring in the Savoy - as nerdy a crowd as you could possibly hope to get since most people would have taken the day off work to go see it. When the lights went down initially, the nerds started clapping. Then they showed the trailer for Attack of the Clones, the one that shows Yoda kicking ass. Well, after that, there was clapping and whooping and yelling and all sorts.

Yes, there was a BIG applause after that film.

At the Microsoft thing of Day After Tomorrow last night, one person tried to start clapping at the end of the movie, but people weren't having any of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Berger

Yeah i usually applaud if the movie was really really bad. For instance the transporter :/

Usually i just applaud to take the piss out of the people that actually enjoyed the film

(Sometimes i shout "WOOH YEAH" too, i duuno it seems to add more passion to the applause)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

Yeah i usually applaud if the movie was really really bad. For instance the transporter :/

I applauded it cos it kicked some serious ass. Also during it with the guy hanging off the door of the truck. Beautiful. (Am a huge action movie fan. Totally loved every minute of the movie).
    Usually i just applaud to take the piss out of the people that actually enjoyed the film

Boo it by all means, take the piss if u think it sucks, it's the fact that you're doing it just to bet spiteful at the people who liked it that's so so petty. You must be great to have around. Must be nice being so clever and better than everyone else. Lonely?

Anyhoo rambling aside, I will clap at some movies, if something worth it happens, like Bill Gates being shot in South Park the Movie!! But not as a habbit. Some people just seem to clap anything they see :O

Ross

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

I loathe people who clap at movies, as said already, if its the premiere and some of the cast or crew are there then fine, you are clapping at someone.
    Do these people clap after a particularly good episode of Coronation Street at home aswell?
    STOP IT YOU MORONS

same with people who clap when a plane lands, thats the pilots fucking job, do you clap when the bus pulls up at your stop on the way home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭Fence

Clapping makes no sense whatsoever, unless there are people around, like the actors or the director, who were actually involved in making the film.

Otherwise it's like clapping yourself; Go me, I watced a film, or even worse thanking the audience for "sharing the experience".

Clapping is a way of providing feedback for the performers, thats why i really don't understand the constant applause that goes on on chat shows; look its some person you don't know, whose never done anything. Give them a round fo applause. Duh! why?

Anyways thats a little off the point. Have heard clapping at UGC at the end of Troy, which was a grand film, but no really worthy of applause now was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Yo Mamma

Only Cappers clap in Cinimas..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

It's more or less the same thing as cheering at the television while watching a football match.

I've been guilty of clapping at the cinema before, and also of giving grief to other people for doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I dunno. I don't see anything particularily wrong with it. If you enjoyed the movie, then there's no harm in showing your appreciation for it. I don't see why the director and co. has to be there in order for that to be acknoledged; it just gives an overall response to the movie.

If people clapped to a shít movie though, just for the hell of it, I would definetly feel that unnessessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Makes no sense to me at all. Its almost the same as the guy on the flight home from Majorca wearing the gaa jersey and sombrero clapping when the plane touches down on Irish soil again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Who are they clapping at ? the people who take the tickets ? the projector guy ? I dont get it....unless some of the cast or crew are there, I dont get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

i think its hilaaarrioooussss when people clap at the end of films

i laugh

then i leave

ho ho ho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

well, i wouldn't be inclined to clap myself, as to me clapping is a congratulatory thing, and who are we congratulating.

But if you want the definition of annoying, when me and the rest of the nerds saw Return of the King the entire of loretto dalkey or some such girly school 3rd years or 4th years or some such were there.

You know the scene at the end where they all come into frodo on the bed one by one?

You couldn't hear a ****ing thing for all the screaming and clapping when legolas came in. Pansy ass elf.

Gimmy gandalf any day.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Heh. RotK was the last time I was surrounded by clapping muppets - I think about half of them stood up and cheered at the badly-CGI'd Legolas skateboard scene. And at the end.

I'm firmly in the "what in the name of hell are you applauding at? Well done that screen, for displaying the film so accurately? Well done lightbeam for carrying the images across?" camp, as you may notice. Genocidal urges arise every time I'm surrounded by people clapping at films...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

Originally posted by bedlam
    I've only been witness to it once, and that was the opening night showing of Pulp Fiction in the Savoy, very odd it got a standing ovation!

Yeah I was there that night too. Very strange moment actually.
    Although I've found that people are more likely to applaud a movie in Dublin City Centre (usually The Savoy) than in the multiplexes in the suburbs... only the very odd time I've heard anyone clapping in Ster Century or in the UCI's.

I've never clapped after a movie and doubtful that I ever will. I'd feel a proper twit... it's not like at the theatre and the actors/writer/director are there in front of you and you want to show ur appreciation and admiration. ffs you'd be applauding fresh air in the cinema! :rolleyes:

i was VERY suprised that ppl clapped at the end of The Day after tomorrow but then they where drowned out by ppl laughing at them.

Originally posted by RossFixxxed

Anyhoo rambling aside, I will clap at some movies, if something worth it happens, like Bill Gates being shot in South Park the Movie!! But not as a habbit. Some people just seem to clap anything they see :O

So you actually started clapping during the movie then? And you think i'm pathetic for trying to make myself feel a little better after watching a terrible film?

It's people like you that annoy me when i'm trying to actually watch the film (ie: laughing really loudly + clapping + Slapping their knee simultaneously) I think it must take years to master this art.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Originally posted by kahlua
    They're American :p

Classic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i must live a sheltered life. I never seem anyone clap on a plane on landing. It usually a rush to get off the thing.

Secondly i never seem a cinema clap either again in my case its a rush to the bathroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I have only heard clapping at the end of a movie once. That was when the Limerick omniplex was giving a preview showing of a movie the day before the official opening. The film was 101 dalmatians which was a load of pap but the cinema itself was very impressive compared to what was in limerick at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ebonyks

Sadly though americans do this alot. On the 3 occasions i've been to see a movie in the US, there's been clapping at the end.

The worst being at "The Hulk" opening day. Besides having to sit through that excrement, I had to take the cheering and WOOHOOing throughout (adults and kiddies alike now). I actually felt embarressed just being there sharing the same air with these people. Couldn't believe the amount of clapping and cheering after too. Almost expecting someone to shout "encore". Me and teh posse just quietly left...jackets over head ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭minority

People used to clap in my local cinema every week when i was a kid.
    I never did and it doesnt seem to happen there anymore. I thnk it was just a fad at the kiddies matinee :)

I did clap with everyone else though at the end of schindlers list. I guess it was the emotion.

Tonight though i went to see Troy and there was clapping at the end of it. I enjoyed the movie but just though .... saps.

Speaking of nerds.... I went to see attack of the clones and there were 2 english guys sitting beside me (i know because they nevr shut up saying .. cool effects etc) and they literally got up out of their seats for the yoda fight like you would at a boxing match shouting 'Go Yoda', and practicaly having the fight themselves.
    I had to tell them i'd hit them if they didnt sit and shut up.

Needless to say at the end they went mad clapping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I think it's a lame-ass thing to do unless you know someone who worked on the film is in attendance.

I mean what these fools are doing is a rough equivilant of applauding an album in your living room after listening to it with company.

Save it for the people not the product.

BTW - It's seems to always happen to me at the Savoy on opening night and always for big sci-fi/fantasy blockbuster type movies. It happened for SWep2, LOTR movies and a few others - but strangly enough NOT on the opening night The Matrix!

Also the IFI were recently showing John Carpenters 'Halloween' and one fella tried clapping at the end of it. He was quickly glared out of it by those 'serious' film-goers in attendance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Originally posted by Berger
    It's people like you that annoy me when i'm trying to actually watch the film (ie: laughing really loudly + clapping + Slapping their knee simultaneously) I think it must take years to master this art.

Are you suggesting that a person should control their laughter while watching a comedy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

The last time I experienced clapping was about 15 minutes into kill bill II when the sound cut out and they cancelled the screening :( This was the opening Saturday night in London's Empire cinema.

People began slow-clapping the supervisor who came in to apologise..

I think people who don't go to the cinema much tend to clap afterwards because they don't know any better ;)

davej

Originally posted by Pigman II

BTW - It's seems to always happen to me at the Savoy on opening night and always for big sci-fi/fantasy blockbuster type movies. It happened for SWep2, LOTR movies and a few others - but strangly enough NOT on the opening night The Matrix!

Thats because matrix fans are better than everyone elce.

Originally posted by Lodgepole
    Are you suggesting that a person should control their laughter while watching a comedy?

Now laughing is fine of course but clapping during a movie makes no sense at all

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You should look at a film in America. They clap at the end of almost every good action scene. Was dragged into The Imax version of Matrix Reloaded and as they were clapping I felt like standing up and tell asking why they are clapping since the film was dire and the loads of agent smiths fight was a CGI mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭brianomc

I experienced clappers at the end of Day After Tomorrow yesterday in Liffey Valley. Probably about 20 of them but they stopped when everyone else turned to look at them. Only other times i can remember was at the end of a preview screening of Attack of the Clones (yes, seriously) and the original matrix, both at the Savoy in Dublin.

As most people seem to be saying, whats the point if no-one involved in the making of the film is there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

Like other ppl have mentioned, Americans (and Canadians) clap lots during movies. When I was in New York summer 2001, I was at the cinema a lot, so weirdly I got used to it:

Lots of clapping after the FX 360 Degree Bullet Time opening to 'Swordfish'....
    Tons of clapping and people standing up to cheer during 'Scary Movie 2' which was damn annoying....
    Clapping again during 'Kiss of the Dragon' after any fight scene.
    There was a standing ovation for 'Moulin Rouge'....
    HUGE roars and applause before 'Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within' when the Spider-Man teaser trailer premiered for the first time. I guess with the movie being so highly anticipated, and being in New York, and having the World Trade Centre very prominent (pre-9/11) in the trailer, it was sorta acceptable?
    When I was in Canada last summer, there were similar reactions to 'The Italian Job', 'Bruce Almighty' + 'The Hulk', so it's definitely not just Americans.

As for over here, oddly enough, people clapped at the end of 'Day After Tomorrow' in UGC on Friday which is about the only time I have noticed people doing it in Dublin.
    I dunno, I'm not generally someone to get hugely vocal/animated while watching TV/Movies of any genre, so I don't even fully understand people who find comedies so funny they're literally falling out of their seats, let alone clapping after action sequences.
    As I say, I'm kinda desensitized after the summers in America and Canada so it doesn't bug me the way it used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Uthur

I've never done this. I never will - even after the best movie ever. What good would it do anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

So you actually started clapping during the movie then? And you think i'm pathetic for trying to make myself feel a little better after watching a terrible film?

Just like at least 95% of people at that particular scene certainly! Everyone had a great time. Like I said I don't do it as a habbit, I usually stay quiet so as not to bother others (if only those b***ids answering their phones would do the same!)

I don't care if you boo a movie, what pissed me off is your reason for doing it ie to make fun of the people who enjoyed it.

Ross

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

It actually makes me laugh everytime when they do it - they did it at the end of the day after tomorrow - why???????????????????????????????

dont get me wrong, I liked the film - but it didnt deseve clapping.......muppets the lot of them. And the same for those on planes who clap, if they thaught they were not going to land properly and they were surprised they did - why did they get on the plane in the first place??:dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

The only time people should clap at the end of a film is when the director/producer/actors or whatever are in attendance (at a premiere or film festival or something).

I saw Zatoichi in Galway last night and people started clapping at the end. I felt a bit embarrassed and just talked quietly to my friend. People also tried to clap at the end of Lost in Translation in the Omniplex in Galway but they stopped when they realised nobody else was going to join in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I might clap briefly during a particularly entertaining sequence in a movie. Like screaming on a rollercoaster, it's adds to the experience. But I wouldn't actually stand up and applaud.

And as for Nerds...Both Star Wars and Star Trek are in the same deep circle of the nerd hierarchy, and shouldn't be used as a nerd benchmark. Lord of the Rings/ Robin Hobb nerds have a level to themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Originally posted by Berger
    Now laughing is fine of course but clapping during a movie makes no sense at all

Unless you have an obnoxious laugh. In which case it must be kept under control at all costs... there is nothing worse than sitting next to Elmur Fudd in a cinema...

I do remember being the only one in the cinema to laugh quite loudly at a bit in The Day After Tomorrow (I saw it the day before yesterday)

It was just a little soundbite in the news in the background and they said that people in Belfast should evacuate to Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Oh Jesus, yeah. That big obnoxious honking laugh that people make if they want to prove they got the joke. Oh god, that makes me want to kill. If its natural, fine, laugh to your hearts content, but that kind of arseholiness I can do without.

Advertisement