Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocking Possibility?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

AthlonXP mobile 2500+ & an abit NF7-s mainboard tbh.
    they seem to be the most popular choice when it comes to bang for buck overclocking.
    pretty much any pc3200 ram will do you, unless you want to push the cpu past xp3200+ speeds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭byrnenj

The components I listed above are the ones that I bought!
    I was wondering what their Overclockability was?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Yes you should be able to overclock perfect, we cant tell you how much you need to do that yourself, up the FSB & volt you would get 3200+ easy,

Thanks JoePC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=138583&highlight=guide

this is what you be needing, chances are you chip will have its multiplier locked so you won't be able to obtain 3200+ = 200*11.

however follow the guide by upping your FSB and testing stability, your ram can handle 200 mhz but i doubt you'll get the FSB up to 200mhz due to your multi of 12.5 as that would give you a clock speed of 2500mhz but you never now.

good luck

data

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I've a similar setup behind me at the minuter, i just have ABIT AN7 instead. It's in a Chenbro Gaming Bomb case.
    inside-2s.jpg

I've got no case fans at all in it!
    What fans would anyone recommend that i get?
    It'll take a 120mm(back) and an 80mm(front), also, i'm using the stock HSF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

It depends on what noise level annoys you, how much your overclocking......... GFX card. Mabye a nice quiet papst 120mm? try www.hitide.ie for a decent range.

Hmmm, my hard disk is fairly noisy i think:
    Western Digital Caviar 160GB IDE 7200RPM Special Edition 8MB cache WD1600JB.
    I'll give hi-ride a look over anyway, whats postage like with them? Might wait awhile before i get them and get a few other pieces as well.

CPU: 46, SYS: 33 and PWM 34 on idle, seen it max at 57 after about 2 constant days of encoding. Stock voltages and speeds though.
    Oh yeah, it went mad last week for no reason, noticed it was a bit hot, figured out that the vcore was creeping up to 2.1 after 5 minutes in windows, that was odd. That sent the temps very high.

Well if your not overclocking and your temps are ok then you can prob do without it. The main thing i would worry about is the hard drive as the WD's run pretty hot...... mabye a nice silent 80mm fan & also a very quiet 120mm fan and it will keep temps much lower and allow you to overclock?

At the min your not to bad at all but i wouldnt leave it long term without some airflow.

Yeah, did notice the HD being quite hot. I don't think i'll bother with a new HSF, i'm going to hopefully go 64 bit at the end of the summer when the new sockets are out, i'd imagine a HSF for a socket A wouldn't fit the new socket, or am i farting out words?

No it wont fit. I think the Zalman 7000 should fit the Socket939 and also the socket A so that might be an option.......... im not 100% so id do a little search before i bought one ;) . Also check motherboard compatability.........

Other than that your wise to wait for the new socket, the PC you have should be fine until then i guess!!

• Advertisement

Right, cool. Yeah, i'll just stick a 120mm and , wait, i was wrong, the front takes a 92mm fan also. So what i want are 120mm fan and a 92mm fan.
    [rant]
    Blah, i need sleep.
    Have to sort out this computer first though.
    Using a P42.8 here, and have an XP2800+ behind me :cool: .

Trying to get rid of linux of the athlon.
    Need to get rid of lilo, so i need to run "FIXMBR" but where?!?!, i don't have the option of recovery console on my XP disc. My head is going to explode.
    [/end rant]

Advertisement