Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you recommend me a home cinama reciever

Options
  • 28-05-2004 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

I'm in the market for a reciever and would like to know what are recomended recievers for around €300,-

I had a look in peats not so long a go and on the richersound site, peats seemd to be dearer.

Here's a few i seen:

Pioneer VSXD512 €199,-
    Teac AG-5D €299,-
    Marantz SR4400 €329,-
    Sony STR-DE495 €299,-

Here's what i'd like feature wise:
    at least 5.1
    coax & optical in's/out's
    are most recievers compatible for sacd & dvd audio?
    80-100 watt should be loads
    tuner (rds)
    thats all i can think of just now

jozi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Hi jozi,

Do you know what speaker package you want to use with the amplifier? Certain speaker packages are more suited to some amplifiers, that information would help me to recommend something for you.

I've personally used the Pioneer and Marantz models, and I've used previous versions of both the TEAC and Sony before too. Overall, I would rate the amps in the following order:

1 - Pioneer
    2 - Marantz
    3 - Sony
    4 - TEAC

That's based on sound and build quality, followed by ease of use and reliability. I install cinema systems of all different sizes, and having an amp that is easy and flexible to install makes my life so much better! But at the end of the day, sound is what counts.

Not all amps are SACD/DVD-A compatible, but many are these days. You need to check the specs to make sure that your amp has analogue 5.1 inputs - that means 6 seperate analogue RCA jack inputs on the back of the receiver labelled something like Left, Right, Centre, L Surr, R Surr and Sub. Make sure they are inputs, not outputs. The SACD/DVD-A decoding is done on board your DVD player, and output from the DVD player via the 6 analogue RCA setup.

I know for certain that the Pioneer and Marantz both have the correct inputs for SACD/DVD-A, but I'm not sure on the TEAC or Sony. And don't take a salesperson's word for it, make sure to physically inspect the rear connections before purchasing!

If you need any more help, let me know.

Robbie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Thanks for the reply robbie.

I already have 4 speaker, mission m71 and gale 3400 (not sure on that one, floor standers anyway), and for now i wont be able to afford a centre and sub but it i'll get there eventually.

So teac isn't that good then! The marantz might become the pick of the bunch, just seen it suppors 6.1. That would mean i could use dads unused speakers, was going to use one for front untill i get a proper front.

SACS/DVD audio for now wont be used but i recon i'll be using it in the future

Thanks

Jozi

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I bought my first Marantz about 5 years ago. I've upgraded twice since and I've stayed with Marantz. Problem with home cinema is that you usually have to compromise on hifi sound (playing cd's etc). Not with the marantz which performs equally as well in both home cinema and hifi.

Advertisement