Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Valencia Attempt To Keep Benitez

• 28-05-2004 3:31pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Daily Post 28 May 2004

VALENCIA have taken their first steps towards persuading Liverpool managerial target Rafael Benitez to stay in Spain.

But their offer is almost certain to be rejected by the 44-year-old, (left) who has spoken of his "dream" of managing Liverpool.

Barring any last-minute hitch, Benitez is expected to conclude negotiations on a move to Anfield next month once chief executive Rick Parry returns from a family holiday.

In the meantime, Valencia yesterday opened talks with the coach over a two-year extension to his existing deal, which expires at the end of next season.

The Spanish champions hope to present Benitez with a firm proposal before the club's summer break begins on June 5, with president Jaime Orti insisting they were desperate for the coach to stay and would consider giving him more responsibility.

Benitez is known to be unhappy with working under director of football Jesus Pitarch, with whom he has had several disagreements in the past.

"I agree with the idea we should change a little," said Orti. "We have a very good relationship with Rafael. The club are prepared to make changes to have him for more than one year."

Benitez will listen to Valencia's offer out of courtesy to the club he has led to two Spanish titles in three years, but it is highly unlikely it will encourage a dramatic change of heart.

Even so, the Spaniard was decidedly cagey on his future when questioned yesterday.

"Liverpool are being talked about," he said. "A lot of teams are being talked about and that's what agents are there for, while my job is to coach.

"When a team like Valencia wins trophies it's inevitable that other clubs show interest. I have a year left on my contract, everyone knows that Valencia for me is a very pleasant place.

"But I want to have a team that can continue to battle to win titles."

Benitez had earlier reiterated his admiration for Liverpool and the atmosphere at Anfield while confirming contact had been made with the club he believes are one of the few capable of luring him from Valencia.

"Liverpool is one of those clubs that any coach always dreams about being able to manage," he said. "I have been at Anfield several times as a rival coach and the atmosphere is wonderful.

"They have spoken to my agent Manuel Garcia Quilun to find out more about my situation.

"I am happy in Valencia and I would only leave the club for a great European side and Liverpool are one of those." Benitez is the unanimous choice of the Anfield board to take over from the departed Gerard Houllier.

And with Porto coach Jose Mourinho seemingly on his way to Chelsea, former Southampton manager Gordon Strachan has joined Alan Curbishley on a list of possible alternatives should Benitez make a shock U-turn.

This story has been reproduced from today's media and is not necessarily the position of Liverpool Football Club.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

from what you have just posted it appears more likely that he will go to liverpool and the attempts of Valencia to keep him shall be in vain.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

its looking like that...and I have 20 Eurobucks on O'Neill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

good stuff as benitez is a good coach and if he comes to us then watch us go next season.Fingers crossed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

who has spoken of his "dream" of managing Liverpool.

nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Off topic, sorry but this needs your attention

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=164003

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

If keane can return to ireland I guess The muppet can come back to the soccer forum eh? heh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Benitez to Liverpool is not a done deal - he has said before that if he gets what he wants from Valencia then he will stay. His agent met with the club at the weekend and the club are bending over backwards to keep him.

New offer:
    Three year contract with no conditions.
    Major salary increase.
    Benitez will get the final say in transfers.
    Current Director of Sport (García Pitarch) to be promoted out of the way - he's the one currently deciding on transfers at the club.

Benitez has told the club that they will have his decision before June 5th.

Advertisement