Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street Fighter 2: The Anniversary Edition

Options
  • 28-05-2004 5:21pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was a really big Street Fighter 2 fan and was delighted when today I saw they released Street Fighter 2 for the Ps2, I so wanted this game as I last had it for my SNES and played the game to death all those years ago. Ive never been great at beat em ups but this ps2 conversion is unbelieveably difficult, there are about 7 difficulty modes and i wacked it down to easiest and the game still seems impossible, so difficult that I cant even get past the 1st fight!. Im no pro but this is insane, sf2 on the snes/megadrive was a walkover untill you got to the 'hard' difficulty setting but this is harder than 'very hard' on the easiest setting. Has anyone else bought this game for the Ps2 and found it insanely difficult?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

havent played it, is it any good ? what are the sprites like, is it just all the old ones into this 1 game ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Fungtank

I saw it in gamestop today. It looks class. Like a trip back in time to the original "Nintendo". I would get it if i had a ps2.

but what if u have an snes with all that.......

any new modes, from what i`ve read is that you can have different versions VS different versions, normal chunli VS turbo chun li.
    wow wow ! how exciting, i suppose one would see it as a classic and buy it, not me though, if 60 euros fell from trees, then maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

My advice is to wait for the XBox version which will contain Street Fighter 2: Anniversy and Street Fighter 3: Third Strike both of which will have online play...

STREET FIGHTER 3 ? no way, i always wanted that !!!!!! damn dreamcast.
    i`l have to get an Xbox then, unless this is out for ps2 !

• Advertisement

Capcom bringing Street Fighter III: Third Strike to PS2.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=54855

WOhooo, dream come true !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the current game for the ps2 is SF2 only and has all the different varients of SF2 which you can mix, and the original arcade intro and the SF2 manga movie. The graphics are the same as the original arcade versions and the game costs €29.99 new everywhere I looked in town. It is a great game and still looks great, just a pity its soo bloody difficult compared to the sf2 games on all other formats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

It isn't hard at all actually. You should try Super Street Fighter 2 X on the Dreamcast. You're talking 10 times for difficult again. The AI in that iteration of the game is a true mother ****er.

I don't see much point in this release. They've already released all these games on the PSOne in the SF Collection I/II. Sure you couldn't mix and match characters but its a bit of a weak gimmick.

Can't wait for the SF3 port mind. I don't have two arcade sticks for my DC so I think I'll wait for the PS2 ver.

I wouldn't get too worked up about online play over Live. Capcom vs SNK is awful. I can't imagine how difficult parrying in SF3 will be. DoA may be somewhat playable because the controls are so loose but I don't think we'll ever see a good online beatemup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I bought it today and have to agree that it does seem a bit hard, though I'd say thats dwn to me being rusty more than anything else. At least the AI is done well in this. I bought Collection 1 when it was released and was utterly appaled by the disgraceful AI. In arcade mode the opponents literally just stood there and used the same special moves over and over.

This feels more balanced and tweaked. When I play this in single player mode its like I'm fighting against a veteran of the arcade.

Oh and I have 3rd Strike on the Dreamcast so :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Street Fighter III: Third Strike will be only bundled with copies of Hyper Street Fighter II in the US. Europe and Japan get the Street Fighter II movie as an extra instead.

Although I freakin' hope that by the time the Xbox version is released they will choose the former. I really want to play a version of Street Fighter III without having to resort to eBay.

What's the story Molloy? Capcom vs. SNK over LIVE is fantastic. There's hardly any lag and the parrying works fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

God damn...how can an hour or so of anime compare to the hundreds of hours that Street Fighter 3 provides?

My only gripe with CvS2's online play is the interface, hopefully they'll sort this out for SF2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

SF2 can be played online on a PC.

You need an emulator and a rom (which are illegal unless you own the game so dont ask for them its bad).

Check emulation forum, its possible the best online game ever but im crap at it so if anyone wants to play i can play with them.

kdjac

SF2 can be played online on a PC.

You need an emulator and a rom (which are illegal unless you own the game so dont ask for them its bad).

Check emulation forum, its possible the best online game ever but im crap at it so if anyone wants to play i can play with them.

i accept your challenge, just let me know what emulator.
    also Street fighter 2: Rainbow Edition, is amazing.

Challenge ? i need lessons Final Burn Alpha latest version.

kdjac

Ok Sorry Gonzo, for over taking your forum.

Kdjac, i have it.
    msn messenger = cool_boy96@hotmail.com

if you want to play now .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

I bought a SF game for the psone a year or two ago and found it really hard too, couldnt even get past zangief!! And i used to be a master of SF2, could finish it on the highest difficuly at the highest speed on sf2 turbo on the mega drive. I think its the ps controllers, the d pad just wrecks your thumbs and wasnt really designed with a ha-do-ken in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Originally posted by Roller Toaster
    My only gripe with CvS2's online play is the interface

That's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

.....mame emulator anyone?

http://fba.emuunlim.com/

final burn is best emu for CPS2 games.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Don't play Kdjac unless you feel like getting beaten. From what I heard he is a SF2 god. Don't let him pick Blanka whatever you do.

SF2 = Bestest beat'em up and multiplayer game ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Anyone remember the cheat to get Akuma. hes listed in the manual for moves etc but not a playable charactor straight off the mark. Anyone??

On PS it was pick Ryu and hold L1 and R1

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

im waiting on this to be delivered from play.com! cant wait to give my brother a beating he shall never forget, feel the true power of my dragon punch!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

got it yesterday and must say i love it

took me a while to win a fight but once i got used to playing with the PS2 controller it was grand

the film wasnt bad either even if it took me a while to find the thing. why they didnt put it on a bonus DVD i'll ever know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

mine arrived today so played it all day. Its hard alright but once you get used to the PS2 pad and learn how to beat that Cammy bitch your sorted!

As regards the bonus Dvd its crazy they didnt put it on another disk, you cant pause it so i had to turn off the PS2 to go have dinner! I had never seen the movie before and i thought it kicked ass!

Now back to playing Street Fighter ....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Thought ye all might like to know that to unlock Akuma -

Choose Super Turbo. Leave Ryu Highlighted, then zip over to Hawk, then to Guile, down to Cammy and finally back to Ryu. Each character has to be higlighted for 2 seconds, no more, no less. Then select Ryu after the 2 seconds by pressing start followed immediately by PPP. Ryu's portrait should change into a black silhouette of Akuma's portrait.

this works for me in both Arcade and Training modes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

I'm a fairly big street fighter fan but i don't think i'll be getting this. I think the newer versions of the game are better. I have super street fighter 2 turbo x for the GBA and even that is too old for me. It has some super combos and the sagats upercut has evolved to a 5 hit from a one hit but i still think its shit. I think it's easier to be cheap in those games aswel. There's no moves like tactical recoveries and that kind of stuff which does add to the gameplay. And some characters moves were a bit too good like chun li's lightening kick.

Personally I think Capcom vs SNK 2 is great. Street fighter characters at their peak aswel as a whole host of zany characters from the world of SNK. Can't comment on the online play but man, I'd like to give it a shot just to show of my shin akuma sKillz

SNK vs Capcom 2 is ****E,
    firstly, the sprites are horrible and please dont comment on How i`m putting graphics before gameplay, its a 2d game, theres no rocket science before the graphics, the backgrounds look amazing then suddenly its morgan VS Ryu, Morgan looking like she was ripped out of the old game and stuck in this, it looks really bad,
    all characters are just stuck in from different games, theres no story line to the game, as far as game play goes, good luck trying to fight off ken and ryu`s fire balls.

SNK vs capcom CHAOS ! now, here a game, all characters seem like they are made from scratch, new sprites, new moves, everything is leveled out, besides the fact that the SNK characters look a few cm short ! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Sf is balanced perfectly ,nerwer versions aint ,in WW CE and too an extent Super and turbo. Any fighter can be or counter another.

The later versions made some fighters too powerful so the likes of Dhalsim and Zangif cant beat them.

In the older versions they could beat anyone, reason i like it so much so very well balanced.

kdjac

Advertisement