Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

US vs. European cigarette lighter voltage

Options
  • 28-05-2004 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have purchased one of those dinky fridges that plug into the cigarette lighter of the car. Problem is, I bought it in the US, so I was wondering if the voltage/current from my humble '02 Nissan Primera would be the same.

According to the blurb on the box, it is 12V, which I believe is the same, but it is also saying it is 4 Amps. Anybody know if that is the same current supplied by European car cigarette lighters? Or will I fry the circuitry in my car when I bring it home?

Thanks,

TD.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

if it helps you at all, I regularly use a small compressor that I bought in Argos on my the cigarette lighter socket in my American bike... seems to work without problems.

afaik theyre all 12V, dunno about the 4amps bit. Plug it in and watch for coloured smoke :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Don't worry about the amps its the voltage that matters.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭PBC_1966

The cigarette lighter outlet doesn't really supply a certain amount of current.

So long as the voltage is correct, the device you plug into it will draw whatever current it needs to do its job. The only problem is if you try to draw too much current you will either (a) overload the wiring or (b) blow fuses.

4A is a perfectly reasonable amount of current and certainly no greater than the lighter itself would draw. It means that your fridge will consume approx. 48 watts of power (4 amps x 12 volts = 48 watts).

That's only slightly less than the average modern low-beam headlight, so be careful how long you leave it running with no power from the engine.

Advertisement