Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For Charity

Options
  • 28-05-2004 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭

Alright, so i was thinking, wanna do something interesting for charity.

So was considering having most of my body shaved/waxed. (theres a nasty mental image for yez :P )

mainly posting this so i wont chicken out at a later date :D

so has anyone a suggestion of good cancer charities/groups within ireland who deserve the money?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Originally posted by crash_000
    So was considering having most of my body shaved/waxed. (theres a nasty mental image for yez :P )
    [14:16:13] <crash_000> tbh if you really want some funny pictures there are now funny photos of me mooning lots of people.
    <snip>
    [14:17:04] <crash_000> i'm a suprisingly hairy person when you get down to it.
    <snip>
    [14:17:27] * feylya|gp prepares immac for next beers
    [14:17:34] <crash_000> we are NOT immacing my ass

*shudder*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

My idea involves plucking a chicken. ... And glue.

You're probably not interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

Waxing. But on Grafton Street. Then we can use the money earned to post bail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Neil's bail fund - At least you can instantly see the results of your donation

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭strawberry

I'll help you wax :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

How about the childrens' hospital in Crumlin? They could always use the money. AHHH! It's good to be back after so long. I tried to keep up with what was going on though. Hugh, I enjoyed seeing that some of my quotes were remembered in my absence. :D Ah well, back to spam again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

if you're actually gonna go ahead with it, what about the rape crisis centre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I say he'll (dave) last till friday, anyone wanna take me up on it?

On topic, why not just go with here

(I used google, so sue me)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

well tbh i'm going for a cancer charity for completely selfish personal and emotional reasons Gigglingrat.

If Gigglingrat had actually posted in this thread that'd be pretty damn relevant!:D
    There's plenty of good cancer charities out there though. And any one of them could be helping several memebers of my family right now so I'm with you on this one.

Oh, and Aonghus? I'd say saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭purplepolkadot

i'm really, really, really good at waxing if you need some paper strips and hot glue-like substance i'm there.

or try new veet bladeless razor ((formerly known as immac))

might i recommend a children's hospice. there's one in dub but the name is fuzzy and not present in my mind.

might i also recommend a pub late on a saturday night for the act as money flows freely at such a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

How's about the Hospice in Harolds Cross. They deal with a lot of cancer patients and although they're not really there to cure people they do a lot of good. Problem is they don't have that much funding and so it's pretty exclusive and if their tea day goes badly i'm sure it's the poor elderly people living there who suffer most. ... Let's face it a shaving/waxing thing isn't going to raise thousands <unless you're REALLY lucky> so you may as well give it somewhere it will be felt somewhat... Childrens hospices etc would be good but they already receive a lot of donations... How's about giving something to the people society has seemed to forget.

(Oh and I've been to the hospice on a number of occassions in the past to visit a relative who's since passed on. The people working there were the nicest I've met anywhere and there was an adorable old dog there... so I feel very justified in this suggestion)

That's a good idea. Might as well make people's last days/hours/weeks etc... as comfortable and as nice as possible. And Sven's right. Places like that are almost completely ignored in terms of donations. Definitely something to think about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭gigglingrat

Good for you crash_000. Nice to see a bit of selfishness even in the most selfless tasks. :p

Am I haunting you?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Squeee

Ach, I'd say you'd make a fair, bit, particularly if you got someone who was really hairy. Also I'd say most people on boards would give something. Yes, yes, I am the Lorax, I speak for the nerds. (nothing derogatory anout that phrase before someone attacks. I'll certainly give something, for as a smoker, giving money to help cancer research is really just an extra form of health insurance. So I guess no matter what, I'm really not being all that generous...damn.

ah i have a month or two to plan it. and when i'm going ahead with it i'll see if one of the admins would mind making an announcement :) tbh the one part thats gonna be the hardest to do is my hair....i quite like it :)

as to how hairy I am *shrug* kinda hairy i guess - ask jenny :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Pyschopath666

well i presonaly think this is a wonferful act and shows that ppl still care about others..... well done Crash 000.....will you be waxing your head

Gotta organise this or something similar reasonably soon - wasted this summer and never got round to doing anything at all :/

If i was doing it i would NOT be waxing my head - only shaving :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭pinkpimp

If you're taking money, you've gotta get a licence. They're easy to get, but you can get stung pretty bad if you don't get one.
    Just a word of warning.

oh i know - i've gone collecting for charity before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭skanger666

what about the cancer unit at Crumlin Children's hospital? That's a very worthy cause; take it from me, it's extremely underfunded for the service they provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

skanger666 wrote:
    what about the cancer unit at Crumlin Children's hospital? That's a very worthy cause; take it from me, it's extremely underfunded for the service they provide.
    While it's a nice thought, I really must demand you stop dredging these threads up

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭purplepolkadot

aren't you just fuelling the flame by posting so?

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

Hi all,

Just looking for a quick bit of advice. Thinking of shaving my head for charity...I'm a 20-something year old lady with long curly hair so it will be pretty dramatic!

I have a number of charities in mind. So that's not a problem. I'm thinking of having a whip round at work, college, family and friends. What target money-wise is realistic do you think?

Advertisement