Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Provisional Licence and the Theory test

Options
  • 28-05-2004 6:44pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My other half is starting to drive soon,she had a Provisional Licence for ID but it has ran out of date,so does she have to do the Theory test to get a new one....?its out of date about 2/3 years

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

iirc if they licence was valid in the last 5 years then no theory test is required but longer than that and it is but that may have changed since i was last in the motor tax office renewing a provo licence for a mate of mine(18 months or so) ring you local tax office and they'll tell ya. the garda station is also most likely a possible source of someway useful information

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

Hi,

You only have to do the Theory Test if applying for a category you've never had before or if your current provisional has run out for more than 5 years.

If she's only going onto her second provisional, she doesn't need anything - just the licence, 2 pictures, an application form, and €15.

If going onto her third or subsequent provisional, she'll also need proof that she has applied for a test (or a fail cert less than 2 years old).

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Tommy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Thanks Lads

Advertisement