Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heinze To United

• 28-05-2004 9:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭

From the BBC this evening...

Man Utd close on Heinze

Manchester United are set to complete the signing of Argentine defender Gabriel Heinze from Paris St Germain.

Although United have maintained their policy of making no comment, BBC Sport understands they have agreed a £6m fee for the 26-year-old.

The left-sided central defender is now believed to be discussing personal terms with the Old Trafford outfit.

Heinze's capture would take United's summer spending to £13m following the arrival of £7m striker Alan Smith.

Paris St Germain president Francis Graille has revealed that he expects the deal to go through.

He admitted: "We are keeping in touch with Manchester United's chief executive David Gill.

"I am confident but we will see what happens in the coming days."

Argentina have called Heinze into their squad for the World Cup quallifiers next month.

Before joining PSG, Heinze played for Valladolid in Spain and Sporting Lisbon in Portugal.

United would have no problems gaining a work permit for Heinze as he holds a German passport.

Heinze could be an ideal partner for Rio Ferdinand when the England defender returns from suspension, allowing Mikael Silvestre to return to left back.

Chelsea reportedly made a £7m bid for the player in January, but PSG president Francis Graille said at the time Heinze would not be allowed to leave until the end of the season.

Looks like United are going to strengthen at the back but as he is a left sided defender it could be bad news for John O Shea who hadn't a great season TBH. Hopefully the competition for that position will give John the motivation to prove he is the quality player he looked to be in the season before last.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

If you re-read it this guy is a left sideded central defender. Either way your right, its bad news for O'Shea as Silvestre will return to his left back berth. (sorry if thats what you meant but if it was it wasnt too clear :p )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    (sorry if thats what you meant but if it was it wasnt too clear :p )

Put that down to ring rust.;)

Thats exactly what I meant but I dont think the sylvester/rio partnership will be broken up so I think Heniz will be o sheas main competiton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

When did you get back?

Definitely bad news for Johnno alright. But the defence did need strengthening.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

the defence did need a new player around January when rio was out. Bad for O'Shea but he probably will get to play the odd game if it is him Alex is going to replace.

I think the defence will be:

Neville
    Heinze
    Ferdinand
    Silvestre

that is if they do not get another Defender.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

Is this guy actually any good? Never seen him play myself. Has anyone?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by NightStrike
    Is this guy actually any good? Never seen him play myself. Has anyone?

Hi Nightstrike

I have not seen him play either but I got the quote below from a United forum I am a member of. I would consider the user who posted it to be fairly balanced with his opinions.
    I've seen him play. I think someone put it well when they said that you don't really notice him when he's playing as a CB. Only 5'11" or so...he is actually decent in the air and decent with both feet. He doesn't get pushed around...and really isn't prone to glaring mistakes. I like him more as a LB...and that's where PSG played him most of last year. He's aggressive on offense and likes to push the play forward. I think he and Ronaldo/Giggs on the left would be a handful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Shíte, why did United have to have such a bad season? I can see Fergie buying a few more players which leaves O'Shea and Miller warming the bench on a regular basis.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

He's an aggressive defender who can play football and will be a good signing for the club when he settles in to the team. He was the left back at PSG until they got Sorin (Argentinian full back) on loan for last season, he then got moved to central defense.

Ferguson could be looking to build a new defense - there were enquiries made about two central defenders last week : Matteo Ferrari (Parma) and Christoph Metzelder (Dortmund).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

O'Shea should be concentrating on the right back position. Gary Neville must be 30 by now. And it doesnt really make sense for a right footed player to be playing left back. He hasnt got a bad left foot, but you'd never mistake him for a left footer (as you might have done with Dinny Irwin).

O'Shea has to come on again in any event or it wont matter what position he settles into, he'll be on the bench.

But I believe there is no reason why he cant make the right back postion his own - not instantly but over the next 12-18 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    Shíte, why did United have to have such a bad season? I can see Fergie buying a few more players which leaves O'Shea and Miller warming the bench on a regular basis.:(

IMO Miller will make the right side his own after a month or two of settling in.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by bucks73
    IMO Miller will make the right side his own after a month or two of settling in.

What about Ronaldo? Can you see him taking Giggs Role and if you're right would that put an end to Gigg's United Career? I would not be happy to see him go but I have to admit his form has been very patchy for the last two seasons and If united want to cash in on him its now or never. Could be an interesting few weeks ahead at OT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I dont think it would end Giggs' career. With the amount of rotating Fergie does now Im sure Giggs will still get plenty of action.

But in saying that when it comes to the big games where he plays his strongest 4-4-2 I cant see him starting as long as Ronaldo keeps progressing well.

In the CL he would probably get more starts due to the usual 4-5-1 formation played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

yes indeed we are in for a few interesting weeks indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Thing about Giggs is, I really think he preforms when it counts.
    I love the guy, hope he sees out the career playing and then comes back to coach at United :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

I hope he sees out his career at utd as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I hear United could be making the identical mistake with Heinze as they made with Ronaldinho.

Valencia have offered 7m for the player, whereas United have only offered 6m, and at the moment anyway they do not want to go any higher, as they believe they can force PSG to accept the lower offer because they've already agreed personal terms with Heinze and Heinze is dead keen to move to OT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

From Football365
    Paris St Germain president Francis Graille has warned Manchester United that a number of Spanish clubs are queuing up to sign Old Trafford target Gabriel Heinze.

The PSG chief is frustrated that United have not yet met his asking price for the 26-year-old Argentinian central defender, and he would happily sell Heinze to another club.

"If they want Heinze, they should pay the price," said Graille.

"Even if there is an agreement between Heinze and Manchester, that is not the most important thing.

"In the past we have seen what happened with these kind of agreements."

United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has been looking to strengthen his defensive options, with Rio Ferdinand receiving an eight-month ban for missing a drugs test.

If Heinze arrives at Old Trafford for £6million, that will mean Ferguson will have spent around £13million already this summer to reinforce his squad after signing striker Alan Smith from Leeds for £7million.

Heinze was signed by PSG from Real Valladolid three years ago and was linked with Chelsea last season.

"There are several opportunities for Heinze, in particular with clubs in Spain," added Graille.

"Manchester must act quickly because Manchester is not our priority. We are clear and we know what we want."

Last year PSG talisman Ronaldinho had apparently reached agreement with United over a move only for Barcelona to clinch the Brazilian World Cup winner's signature with a late swoop.

It certainly appears to be a case of Deja Vu from this time last year and whats worse is we won't have Kenyon to blame if it goes tits up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I wish to God United would tell PSG to get screwed over this transfer. It is unbelieveable the way clubs "leak" stories about players being bid for, just to push the price up.

Remember it was the same club who did it to United last year too, with the Ronaldinho thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

dont want united to sign him, can only be bad for o'shea

• Advertisement

Originally posted by seansouth
    I wish to God United would tell PSG to get screwed over this transfer. It is unbelieveable the way clubs "leak" stories about players being bid for, just to push the price up.

Remember it was the same club who did it to United last year too, with the Ronaldinho thing.

I don't blame PSG .... It's in their best interests to get as much money as possible when selling a player .... I blame Man Utd or more correctly the board for their inability to move without stalling on bids for players .... The Ronaldinho saga of last year just showed how useless the Utd board are doing business :mad:
    Originally posted by The Muppet
    It certainly appears to be a case of Deja Vu from this time last year and whats worse is we won't have Kenyon to blames is goes tits up.

Just goes to show that when 1 idiot falls/moves, there are more than enough idiots to take their place :rolleyes:

Originally posted by eyerer
    dont want united to sign him, can only be bad for o'shea

But it may force O'Shea to recover the form he had in his break-through season .... Competition for places is and always will be a good thing!

The Heinze move will provide more depth and cover to the team

Has anyone heard any more of this. Here's a couple of short video clips I found of him for anyone interested. Looks like he takes a good peno I wonder if he does go to united will he take that job off ruud who missed afew last season.

Clip1

Clip2

It looks like the deal is done.

Link

Looks like the medical went well & he is about to sign

Heinze to United

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

He looks a good player but it does look bad for o'shea. He might get not get his game for united like djemba or kleberson. he looks good in the clips. Him and Rio would be good in central defence though.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

Hope he's more effective than the last Argentinian at the club :rolleyes:

Advertisement