Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAT32 to NTFS

Options
  • 29-05-2004 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

I went from 98SE to 2k Pro, by upgrading, and coverted from FAT32 to NTFS. I heard somewhere that the cluster sizes by going from FAT32 to NTFS is bigger making the disk space usage ineffecient compared to reformatting the drive to NTFS. Is this true, i dont particulary feel like reformatting the drive and installing stuff again(laziness), but I would do it if in this scenario a complete reformatting would be much better.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

well i cant answer your question but i will say one thing i found out recently
    while editing a dvd i found out fat32 has a 4 gb size limit on files, so i had to save the file to my ntfs partition
    so theres one reason to use nrfs over fat32

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Im using NTFS, but what I heard was that if ya upgrade the from FAT32 to NTFS the cluster sizes are different from formatting to NTFS. I was wondering about the truth in that and what difference in performance is there because of this

Advertisement