Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free webcam!

• 29-05-2004 1:13am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

So i signed my mom up for the IOLBB offer, and there is NO connection charge. You don't pay any installiation feee. Not only that, but even if you cancel the broaband after say 2 1/2 months you get to keep the webcam.

Cool...i am gonna snatch the webcam for myself as mom already has one, i mean...it's a great offer.

You can't loose, it's totally free...you don't pay a penny, after 2 1/2 months is up just cancel and keep the webcam and send back the modem.

I wish we had more freebies like this... :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

It seems like a good offer but then again its because of people like you that we dont get more freebes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Excuse me?...."people like me"?, care to explain that little statement/flame??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

after 2 1/2 months is up just cancel and keep the webcam and send back the modem.
    You're clearly just out to screw IOL, which is the reason there's not more freebies because people take advantage of the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by Richard Dower
    I wish we had more freebies like this... :D
    Like the others said, we probably would if less people took the piss.
    Do you not think it's a lot of hassle to go through just to get a webcam?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

where does it say no connection charge, I can't see it on the website

• Advertisement

Originally posted by center15
    You're clearly just out to screw IOL, which is the reason there's not more freebies because people take advantage of the situation.

How exactly am i "out to screw" IOL?...dude, that's the offer they are making. Even IOL know that people can sign up and cancel, and get free broadband for three months and a free webcam.

They are aware of this, fact is IOL consider this a positive thing as they may retain many custmers once they try broadband, and also the minister is happy as the broadband European average will shoot up.

I even said to the sales rep., what's to stop people signing up and cancelling?, he said nothing...they don't care, they care about making up the numbers and hopefully retaining some customers.

That is what this offer is all about, to have on paper the number of broadband users in Ireland be the European average.

So i am not screwing anyone here sunshine, IOL have an offer and you'd be utterly stupid not to take advantage of it.

And sunshine, i PAID for my broadband from the very start, i signed up last July when it first launched, i was there right from the start, i paid €283 for the whole setup.

When did YOU join?

Originally posted by Frank Grimes
    Like the others said, we probably would if less people took the piss.
    Do you not think it's a lot of hassle to go through just to get a webcam?

Taking the piss is what IOL and Eircom are doing, with their high prices for broadband access. Taking the piss is a broadband service that is piss poor compared to the rest of Europe.

We never get offers like these, in Europe and the UK it's the norm...we're YEARS behind the European average in every aspect of broadband.

So this is a welcome change, and it's zero hassle for me...i have broaband, my mom dosen't...she's getting three months for free and i get a little gift and compensation for the piss poor "broadband" we have compared to the rest of Europe.

Originally posted by bambam
    where does it say no connection charge, I can't see it on the website

I called yesterday to confirm it's no connection charge, i mentiioned that the webiste say's nothing about this and is misleading. I spoke to a supervisor and he said that the issue, concerning the website, would be addressed and the webpage updated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Originally posted by clearz
    It seems like a good offer but then again its because of people like you that we dont get more freebes.

You need to get off your high horse. It's three months free no obligation,,, so what if Richard is taking advantage of that.

Only a fool wouldn't.... ahem.

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

Originally posted by Xcellor
    You need to get off your high horse. It's three months free no obligation,,, so what if Richard is taking advantage of that.

Only a fool wouldn't.... ahem.

X

High Horse LOL. I aint judging anybody I dont do that. I am simply stating a response to Richards statement
    I wish we had more freebies like this...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

ok first of all there is a connection charge, it clearly states that you will be charged a connection charge if you decide to go past the 3 month free trial...

Secondly if you don't return ALL equipment before the end of thd 3 months it is assumed that you wish to continue using the service and will therefore be liable for a 12 month contract on the service.

If a sales rep told you differently they were either misinformed or setting out to deceive you. If you cancel and don't return the webcam you will be charged €150, seems a bit expensive for a webcam to me.

BTW I got this information from a mate of mine who works in Esat, as I've mentioned before in other threads I already have the IOL service and have paid full whack for it, but my parents were considering getting it so I looked into it for them.

It is a FREE TRIAL with the emphasis being on TRIAL if you don't want to continue you have to return everything that you have been trialing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

after 2 1/2 months is up just cancel and keep the webcam and send back the modem
    "Sunshine",
    To me this statement by you came across as saying you intended to cancel after 3 months from the outset.
    And sunshine, i PAID for my broadband from the very start, i signed up last July when it first launched, i was there right from the start, i paid €283 for the whole setup.
    When did YOU join?
    I joined when the new IOL Advantage Plus offer came out, so I paid the setup charges. What do you want? A prize for paying €283 just because there was no better offer when you signed up?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

"Sunshine",
    To me this statement by you came across as saying you intended to cancel after 3 months from the outset.

Agreed, this type of thinking is very much scum bag'ish imho
    All you are is a bloody cheap skate....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

And he probably started this thread expecting wave after wave of "oh I never thought of that! what a great man you are, ripping off a company - wow, I'm in awe"

:rolleyes:

Bloody hell people. Stop moaning.

If they are offering 3 months free with no obligation then ANYBODY can take advantage of that. No obligation means just that... NO OBLIGATION... And for pities sake, it's not about being a cheap skate...

Haven't you ever seen a FREE TRIAL cd from AOL... where you get like a month free? Are people that take advantage of those cheapskates? By my understanding of how some of you think,,, anyone who doesn't enter this trial with the intention of signing a contract at the end is a scab/cheapskate etc etc. That is BS.

I would imagine once most people have tasted broadband, even if they had no intention of staying connected at the outset will at the end of the 3 months be happy with dial up again. In fact this is the whole purpose of the promotion.

And as for a free webcam... Hmm. Last time I checked they sell for about 20-30$ and im sure if you are doing a promotion like IOL you will have a few hundred/thousand thus reducing cost of them even further. So if you join up for the sake of a free webcam you are somewhat sad...

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Yiz are all pussies. Richard took the advantage and he's dead right. If IOL were handing out free money would ye take just enough so that everyone would have some ? Bollox ye would.....

Wan Richard, more power to ye

Originally posted by Iago
    ok first of all there is a connection charge, it clearly states that you will be charged a connection charge if you decide to go past the 3 month free trial...

Secondly if you don't return ALL equipment before the end of thd 3 months it is assumed that you wish to continue using the service and will therefore be liable for a 12 month contract on the service.

If a sales rep told you differently they were either misinformed or setting out to deceive you. If you cancel and don't return the webcam you will be charged €150, seems a bit expensive for a webcam to me.

BTW I got this information from a mate of mine who works in Esat, as I've mentioned before in other threads I already have the IOL service and have paid full whack for it, but my parents were considering getting it so I looked into it for them.

It is a FREE TRIAL with the emphasis being on TRIAL if you don't want to continue you have to return everything that you have been trialing...

You'll be charged a connection fee IF you go over the three months, if you cancel BEFORE the three months you are not charged anything....did i not say as much in my other posts?, because i think i did.

I was told by Esat only yesterday that the webcam is FREE, no matter what. If you cancel before the three months is up you can still keep the webcam, but you must return the modem.

So who is right?...your mate or the reps at Esat sales?, are you saying then that Esat staff are blatantly lying to people about this?

Tell you what, i'll call a few times on Monday and speak with different reps, see if the story is straight from one person to another. But the webcam only costs €35...so how the hell do you get the €150 price tag?

"Sunshine",

I joined when the new IOL Advantage Plus offer came out, so I paid the setup charges. What do you want? A prize for paying €283 just because there was no better offer when you signed up?

Hell yes, woudln't you?...it's a free trial, why in gods name would you not take advantage of it?

I am a PAYING customer with IOLBB since last July, i pay for my broadband no matter what, but my mom has never experienced broadband and this offer allows her to do this.

And you joined very late in the game when the prices and setup charges drop. Us old skool paid through the nose from the start.

And it's interesting, folks slamming me because of a new IOLBB offer, yet YOU availed of another offer from Esat yourself, as have many others.

So check yourself mate.

Originally posted by Cabaal
    Agreed, this type of thinking is very much scum bag'ish imho
    All you are is a bloody cheap skate....

How is that type of thinking scumbagish?...a company makes an offer for broadband, and people take advantage of it...yet that makes them scumbags?

So what about the many people who will sign up, are they scum?
    And cheap skate....dude, i pay for my broadband, think before opening your mouth.

Originally posted by zoro
    And he probably started this thread expecting wave after wave of "oh I never thought of that! what a great man you are, ripping off a company - wow, I'm in awe"

:rolleyes:

How am i ripping off a company?, explain that?
    IOL are offering FREE broadband to anyone who has not had a previous installation of broadband in their home. I don't qualify as i HAVE broadband.

So how can i rip off Esat exactly?, by your logic anyone who signs for this offer is ripping off Esat.

So you're saying, by your logic, that anyone who signs for this...on IOL or Eircom are ripping them off? You guys are bonkers...a company puts out a promotion and is offering free broadband for three months, a trial....but somehow people are scamming them.

Do you EXPECT people to take up a contract?, do you expect EVERYONE who signs to stay with IOL?...even IOL don't expect that.

It's a promotion, a freebie...it's a trial, you're under NO obligation to stay with them and can cancel if you want. And if it happens you do get a free webcam then even better.

I am gonna call again and speak to a supervisor about the webcam, if in fact you can keep it no matter what. And if i am right about what i was told i'll be back hear to make people eat my words.

If i am wrong then i'll swing for the rep at Esat who was either lying to me, or dosen't know his job. Either way i was only reporting what i was TOLD by a member of Esat staff.

And again, freebies from companies like IOL and Eircom are rare...you're damn right people should jump on it.

• Advertisement

And as for a free webcam... Hmm. Last time I checked they sell for about 20-30$ and im sure if you are doing a promotion like IOL you will have a few hundred/thousand thus reducing cost of them even further. So if you join up for the sake of a free webcam you are somewhat sad...

X

No, i am signing my mom up to experience broadband for three months, for free. The webcam, if it's true, is just a cool little bonus for me. She's giving it to me because she already has Creative webcam.

So all round the Dower household is happy, mom gets three months free broadband, and i get a webcam for nothing.

:)

Originally posted by Richard Dower
    How is that type of thinking scumbagish?...a company makes an offer for broadband, and people take advantage of it...yet that makes them scumbags?

So what about the many people who will sign up, are they scum?
    And cheap skate....dude, i pay for my broadband, think before opening your mouth.

Here here,,, agree completely.

I think some ppl here cant tell which hole to speak out of, the hole in their arse or the hole in their head....

Free Trial (No Strings attached). Are you bl**dy stupid?? What does that say?

Definition of trial for ye muppets: The act or process of testing, trying.
    Definition of No Strings attached: No limiting or hidden condition. Often used in the plural: a gift with no strings attached.

Seriously,, some people here should really think about what they are posting before posting it...

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Think this thread is vergeing on a locking tbh

Seriously,, some people here should really think about what they are posting before posting it...

X

Amen.

Originally posted by bizmark
    Think this thread is vergeing on a locking tbh

If you must Biz...but i didn't start anything. If attacked for no reason, i react.

But lock it up if you must.

What? You lock threads when people disagree?

Forgive me for asking this question, but what exactly is a bulletin board for if not for exchanging opinions and alternative viewpoints?

I'm just shocked by the idiocy of some and I'm not willing to sit back and say nothing when they flame people like Richard for doing nothing other than availing of a FREE TRIAL.

X

Richard Dower
    You can't loose, it's totally free...you don't pay a penny, after 2 1/2 months is up just cancel and keep the webcam and send back the modem
    How am i ripping off a company?, explain that?
    IOL are offering FREE broadband to anyone who has not had a previous installation of broadband in their home. I don't qualify as i HAVE broadband.
    So how can i rip off Esat exactly?, by your logic anyone who signs for this offer is ripping off Esat
    So you're saying, by your logic, that anyone who signs for this...on IOL or Eircom are ripping them off?
    a company puts out a promotion and is offering free broadband for three months, a trial....but somehow people are scamming them
    You said (or at least implied pretty damn hard) that after 2 and a half months, you intended to cut off the service, and keep the camera. Whether IOL are aware of this possibility - either it being a oversight or bad wording of the contract - or you being told true/false information is not the point. The point is that you are setting out to screw the company. I'm aware that you haven't actually said that you would do this for certain, but you made out as if you would.

I have NO quarrels with anyone who takes up on any offer at all, and then decides it's not for them - for whatever reason. What I do have a problem with is people signing up for the three month trial specifically for the sake of getting a webcam. Another possibility, as I read in another thread, is if you have your line ceased by Eircom, and then reactivated. This would give you a new CLI, which in turn would entitle you to yet another 3 months of free broadband - providing that the offer is still running at that time (the whole ceasing/renewal/broadband setup is a lengthy process)

Zoro

What? You lock threads when people disagree?
    ...I'm not willing to sit back and say nothing when they flame people like Richard for doing nothing other than availing of a FREE TRIAL.
    I think he thought about it as the thread appears to be degrading into a flame war - rather than a "good" thread, if you know what I mean.
    As I said in my previous post, it's not the "availing of a free trial" thing that some of us have a problem with, its the mentality that "Richard Dower" put across regarding it - that being that he intended to get the three months free trial specifically for getting the webcam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by zoro
    (the whole ceasing/renewal/broadband setup is a lengthy process)

It's not anymore, I believe it can be done in a matter of hours rather than weeks now.

But i'm sure the ISP's are limiting this to one offer per HOUSEHOLD. Also, you have to pay a reconnection fee to Eircom if you cease your line and then get it connected again so I doubt anyone would try this!

• Advertisement

Really? Well I had bloody hell with it recently :)

Although the household thing sounds about right - but it was from a good source, erm, can't remember who though! :) I think he has a "bender the robot" avatar, COL_LOKI maybe? :)

terrible memory, sorry :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement