Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free webcam!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Originally posted by zoro
    You said (or at least implied pretty damn hard) that after 2 and a half months, you intended to cut off the service, and keep the camera. Whether IOL are aware of this possibility - either it being a oversight or bad wording of the contract - or you being told true/false information is not the point. The point is that you are setting out to screw the company. I'm aware that you haven't actually said that you would do this for certain, but you made out as if you would.

So what?...if they put a promotion up and it's open to anyone to sign up, cancel and get a free webcam then that is on the company, not me.

Damn right i am gonna sign mom up, she wants to experience broadband but has no intention of staying in a 12 month contract. The promotion is their...so why not take advantage of it?

It's not abuse, the company are making this offer...they are aware that people can avail of it and get out, that's the whole point of the damn promotion.

Eircom's offer locks you into a 12 month contract, IOL don't...IOL DESIGINED this offer dude.
    I have NO quarrels with anyone who takes up on any offer at all, and then decides it's not for them - for whatever reason. What I do have a problem with is people signing up for the three month trial specifically for the sake of getting a webcam. Another possibility, as I read in another thread, is if you have your line ceased by Eircom, and then reactivated. This would give you a new CLI, which in turn would entitle you to yet another 3 months of free broadband - providing that the offer is still running at that time (the whole ceasing/renewal/broadband setup is a lengthy process)

Zoro [/B]

They are signing up for a webcam + three free months, why?...because THAT IS THE OFFER, if your bank was offering you free money would you refuse it?

If people want to sign up for a free webcam or three free months then it's their choice, Esat are offering this promo...so why the hell shoudln't people take advantage of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

I think he thought about it as the thread appears to be degrading into a flame war - rather than a "good" thread, if you know what I mean.
    As I said in my previous post, it's not the "availing of a free trial" thing that some of us have a problem with, its the mentality that "Richard Dower" put across regarding it - that being that he intended to get the three months free trial specifically for getting the webcam

A webcam under 50€ isn't worth crap. Richard's mother will make use of the free trial... It's not like she will leave the modem in a box... It will be used. As far as I'm concerned if IOL are giving away a webcam for trying them out then what is wrong with Richard highlighting that fact. It's not wrong that he is getting the trial.. and it's not wrong he is getting the webcam. IOL are giving him both.

The only reason IOL are giving away a free webcam is so people choose them rather than say UTV or any other companies that resell Eircom services. They will gladly give anyone a webcam if there is even a chance that that person will then subscribe to a years contract.

If Richard is wanting this free trial just because of the webcam then I think IOL's marketing tactic has worked... Let me make this point, he isn't getting the webcam free at all.... he has to avail of a trial which will prevent him from then using any other BB provider (without a lot of hassle) for the next 3 months or so. He may not be paying IOL for those months but at least he isnt paying their competitors and since he now already have seen IOL BB work well... he has their modem, all the configurations, the line set up everything... he is much more likely to sign into a contract.

Nothing is free in the true sense of the meaning. Free has many different perceptions.

X

I think he thought about it as the thread appears to be degrading into a flame war - rather than a "good" thread, if you know what I mean.
    As I said in my previous post, it's not the "availing of a free trial" thing that some of us have a problem with, its the mentality that "Richard Dower" put across regarding it - that being that he intended to get the three months free trial specifically for getting the webcam

Yeah...and?, if it's being offered by Esat why not jump on it?
    I see no problem taking up an offer that gets me something for free. I get free CD's with magazines all the time.

How many of you download for free off the net?, how many of you use bittorrent and other warez sites?, y'all be getting oodles of free, and illegal, stuff everyday.

And even if i didn't have broadband myself i'd sign up for the offer...why?, i am being offered three months free broadband + a webcam, sounds good to me....won't cost me a penny.

In fact, it's Eircom that are paying Esat. The minister wants Ireland to be at the European average for broadband uptake within the next 18 months or whatever. Comreg instructed Eircom to do this and the other service providers are using this to their advantage.

You could say that Esat and UTV are scamming Eircom, by some of the logic applied around here. They are using this €120 rebate to snatch customers from Eircom, they have sweetened the deal by giving a free webcam + not locking you into a contract.

IOL win no matter what, the three free months is covered by the €120 rebate from Eircom, the webcam is probably bought for pennies on bulk...even if 10% of people who signed up for the offer stays they make back the anything spent.

So it's Esat who are taking advantage of Eircom's freebie, are they scum also?

Originally posted by Xcellor
    A webcam under 50€ isn't worth crap. X

No doubt it'll be ****e, but hey....it's free!

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Richard Dower
    You could say that Esat and UTV are scamming Eircom, by some of the logic applied around here. They are using this €120 rebate to snatch customers from Eircom,
    They're not snatching customers from eircom. The rebate is from eircomwholesale, and every single iol and utv customer who benefits will be generating income for eircomwholesale. According to Comreg, eircomwholesale and eircom retail are separate businesses.
    IOL win no matter what, the three free months is covered by the €120 rebate from Eircom
    Wrong again - IOL will have to pay the connection fee and 3 months rental before they get the €120 rebate. They'll lose money on anyone who doesn't sign up at the end of the trial.
    So it's Esat who are taking advantage of Eircom's freebie, are they scum also?
    ESAT are getting a rebate, and are using it to promote the takeup of broadband. Which is exactly what the rebate scheme is desgned for.

It's a "trial" - if you're not trying the system out, with a view to keeping it, but just signing up in the full knowledge that you don't intend to keep it, then people are perfectly entitled to consider you a scumbag. You're not doing anything illegal, ESAT and UTV have counted a certain number of scumbags into their calculations, but that doesn't change the fact that some people will consider you, and people like you, to be part of the problem, not part of the solution.

If it bothers you that some people feel that way, maybe you shouldn't brag about your behaviour in public.

Originally posted by Ripwave
    They're not snatching customers from eircom. The rebate is from eircomwholesale, and every single iol and utv customer who benefits will be generating income for eircomwholesale. According to Comreg, eircomwholesale and eircom retail are separate businesses.

According to Comreg dosen't mean much, Eircom and the wholesake dept. are one and the same, they may be different companies on paper..but it all goes into the coffers of Eircom.

Wrong again - IOL will have to pay the connection fee and 3 months rental before they get the €120 rebate. They'll lose money on anyone who doesn't sign up at the end of the trial.
    ESAT are getting a rebate, and are using it to promote the takeup of broadband. Which is exactly what the rebate scheme is desgned for. [/B]

But they will still get the rebate, no matter what...no matter if people leave or stay after the three months. Promote the takeup, and also hoping to snatch customers from Eircom and UTV, let's be clear that the promotion is designed to get more people to sign up with them and to make more money.

It's a "trial" - if you're not trying the system out, with a view to keeping it, but just signing up in the full knowledge that you don't intend to keep it, then people are perfectly entitled to consider you a scumbag. You're not doing anything illegal, ESAT and UTV have counted a certain number of scumbags into their calculations, but that doesn't change the fact that some people will consider you, and people like you, to be part of the problem, not part of the solution.[/B]

Alot of companies offer free trails of software, in the hopes people will buy it. A trial is designed to attract people and hopefully they will stay, not everyone will. Even if some people simply take up the offer to get a freebie it does not make them anything but people who see an oppertunity and take it.

And what problem do we speak of?, i am a paying customer so don't talk to me about being scum. And as you say...people taking advantage of a freebie/trial/offer is factored in. They are aware people will sign up and cancel...there is nothing wrong with that at all.

It dosen't make them scum, it makes them smart and availing of an offer that is free. I get free samples of shampoo and butter in Dunnes Stores every other week, but i don't buy the products...does that make me scum?

I see offers like buy one get one free...am i scum for picking it up?

Do people who sign up for a free book or a free magazine make them scum?, i see alot of free offers in the papers and tv...are those people scum?

I think not, i think people have a right to do what they want and get something for free.

If it bothers you that some people feel that way, maybe you shouldn't brag about your behaviour in public. [/B]

What behaviour exactly?...doing what everyone does in life, doing what people do at the supermarket each week?, taking advantage of a freebie is not a crime, illegal nor does it imply someone is scum.

All it say's that you're smart to take advantage of that offer, and pretty stupid not too.

What behaviour exactly?...doing what everyone does in life, doing what people do at the supermarket each week?, taking advantage of a freebie is not a crime, illegal nor does it imply someone is scum.

All it say's that you're smart to take advantage of that offer, and pretty stupid not too.
    You're obviously not smart enough to get the message that some people consider your "I'm all right, Jack" attitude scummy. If that bothers you, then don't do it. If it doesn't bother you, then why are you getting so defensive about it?

The notion that it's only scummy if it's illegal is part of your problem. Nobody said that what you're planning to do is illegal. In fact, nobody would have much to say at all about what you intend to do if you hadn't amde such a big deal about how "smart" you are.

You consider yourself smart, other people consider you scum - let's just agree to differ, why don't we?

You're obviously not smart enough to get the message that some people consider your "I'm all right, Jack" attitude scummy. If that bothers you, then don't do it. If it doesn't bother you, then why are you getting so defensive about it?

Because anyone who thinks like that is an idiot or thick. The "jack the lad" thing is nonsense as anyone with a brain could see there is nothing wrong in anything i have said or done. Fact remains that i can guarantee all of you at one stage or another have availed of a freebie. Wether you tell the world about it nor not.

The notion that it's only scummy if it's illegal is part of your problem. Nobody said that what you're planning to do is illegal. In fact, nobody would have much to say at all about what you intend to do if you hadn't amde such a big deal about how "smart" you are.

You consider yourself smart, other people consider you scum - let's just agree to differ, why don't we? [/B]

How i am smart?, it's not rocked science to anyone who reads and learns about the offer. Anyone with a brain could see there was a good freebie going. Even Esat themselves say that anyone can sign up, no matter what their intentions are.

I do consider myself well smart, as only a fool would turn down an offer like this. I consider myself smart in the context that a company is offering a trial, and i am taking advantage of that trial...as they intended and hoped people would do. They don't expect everyone who avails of it to stay on, nor do they prohibit anyone, no matter if they want to get a freebies or not, from signing up.

You're under the deluded assumption that only people with an eye to having broadband after the three months will sign up - or should sign up, then you sir are not living in the real world.

Who are you to say who and why people should sign up?, it's not your offer nor anyones, save for Esat. Do you seriously think only people with genuine interest will sign up?...if you do you've got blinkers on.

Fact is people will sign up for whatever reason they choose, if fact...Esat don't care the reason. The aim and hope is to get more customers and make some money, and keep the minister happy to raise the numbers with broadband on paper.

If signing up for a trial makes me scum then so be it, my mom will still get to experience the benifits of broadband as i have experienced, as well as me getting a free webcam.

The fact she dosen't intend to stay after three months does not make her scum, it makes her a person who is availing and taking advantage of an trail being offered by a company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭ozmo

Because anyone who thinks like that is an idiot or thick. The "jack the lad" thing is nonsense as anyone with a brain could see there is nothing wrong in anything i have said or done. Fact remains that i can guarantee all of you at one stage or another have availed of a freebie. Wether you tell the world about it nor not.
    The fact she dosen't intend to stay after three months does not make her scum, it makes her a person who is availing and taking advantage of an trail being offered by a company.

I think its a question of attitude. Its not a Trial if you take it knowing that you will not accept it. Thats just deception.
    A Fair and true Trial is accepting something where there is a possibility, even remote, that you will keep it. There seems a definite decision on your behalf that you just want 3 months for free - imb that is scummy.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement

Originally posted by ozmo
    I think its a question of attitude. Its not a Trial if you take it knowing that you will not accept it. Thats just deception.
    A Fair and true Trial is accepting something where there is a possibility, even remote, that you will keep it. There seems a definite decision on your behalf that you just want 3 months for free - imb that is scummy.

That is BS Ozmo.

A trial is to evaluate if a service/product is any good or it's worthwhile. A person can say "I really don't think I'll extend my service past the trial" at the outset and there is nothing at all wrong with that. The trial should convince the person they want to spend 30 bucks a month on DSL. Sure there is a small chance that Richards mum will continue... but so what. Doesnt that fall under the whole no obligations.

What is the point of a trial? Is it not to ascertain whether or not you require the service. Perhaps Richards mum will decide the benefits of DSL are worth spending 30 bucks on. Perhaps she won't. Irregardless she is participating in the trial and if IOL BB does not offer her estimation of value, then she is quite within her right to hold to her predisposed thoughts that DSL was not for her.... Why are so many people having problems understanding that concept? She is giving IOL the chance... she is expending time trying their service out... she is also tying her line to a provider for 2 or 3 months. In fact I think IOL are getting far more out of Richards mum than they are giving to her even if she doesn't sign on the dotted line.

People are trying to make this out to be a matter of conscience and that it's so wrong to take a trial without serious intentions to sign on the dotted line. Again what does "No Strings attached" mean? This is IOL promotion. They thought it through. They know they will make money out of this. They also know that not all people who sign up with a trial will continue on. However they have accepted this by offering the trial with webcam without need to commit to contract. If they have no problem with this (in fact it's an integral part of their marketing plan...) then why the hell have some of you guys taken it upon yourselves to coin Richard scummy/cheapskate

Richard I would say just to ignore the comments placed here. They are put here by people who have very small minds and can't see the bigger picture and the fact that it really isn't a free webcam at all....

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

I can't believe what I'm reading.

Day after day we as consumers put up with ever increasing prices and hand over our money knowing full well we are being ripped off.

And I read here a lot of people seemingly defending poor old defenseless Esat BT?

Question to all of those who think the original poster is a "scumbag":

Let's say tomorrow that Meteor (for example) are desperate to win another 20% of the mobile market. They offer a 3 month free trial of meteor with all calls paid to the value of lets say €20 each month.

Would you or would you not sign up for the free trial in order to avail of the free calls and in the full knowledge that you have no intention of staying with Meteor at the end of it.

You may say this is not a valid comparison but I believe it is.

Those defending Esat BT and calling the poster a scumbag are doing so on the basis of misplaced high minded principles.

Save the high principles for more worthy causes.

The guy is availing of a trial service for his mother. Regardless of the intent, there is nothing wrong in doing it. Esat BT have put the offer out there and why anyone tries to defend a large company like this when we live in a rip-off country, is totally beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

I'm already with meteor :):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by alleepally
    The guy is availing of a trial service for his mother. Regardless of the intent, there is nothing wrong in doing it. Esat BT have put the offer out there and why anyone tries to defend a large company like this when we live in a rip-off country, is totally beyond me.
    He's signing up to get a free web cam and he's expecting a collective pat on the back for doing it. Are people not entitled to have an opinion of it? (without posters resorting to name calling?)
    I've signed up to IOL last week (my line started passing just in time for the offer, but I would have ordered anyway), but I have the intention of staying on. I don't care about a free webcam, I'm just sick of dialup.
    What annoys me is that IOL will incorporate the costs (read losses) they will incur from people like him signing up to this offer and then dumping the service into the prices they charge.
    Bottom line, it costs IOL money for setting up people like him on their service, which they will (like any business would) have to pass back the costs to existing customers.
    Sorry if I don't want to pat him on the back, but he's screwing things up for others with that sort of carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Originally posted by Frank Grimes
    What annoys me is that IOL will incorporate the costs (read losses) they will incur from people like him signing up to this offer and then dumping the service into the prices they charge.

Sorry if I don't want to pat him on the back, but he's screwing things up for others with that sort of carry on.

If your logic were true, why don't they dispense with the trial offer and simply reduce the price of the product? Yes, a trial offer may get more customers in a concentrated period, but surely cheaper access would grow the market quicker than these sort of promotions.

I can see your point about "it would be cheaper if....." - but deep down, you know it won't happen. Look at the mobile phone operators for example. Ireland is still the most profitable market for O2 and Vodafone. Why - small market, lack of real competition. They make out it's because "we talk more" - it just doesn't wash. We suck it up as consumers.

I notice you didn't answer if you would avail of a special offer like the Meteor example I gave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by alleepally
    I notice you didn't answer if you would avail of a special offer like the Meteor example I gave.
    I didn't see that when I read the post ;)
    Actually, no I wouldn't. I've been with o2 for about 6 or 7 years now and am happy with the service.

I would prefer no freebies and a cheaper service tbh, but the only reason I'm objecting to "grab as much for nothing" mentality is the people who advocate it are the same people who moan non-stop about the prices of DSL here.

Bottom line, it costs IOL money for setting up people like him on their service, which they will (like any business would) have to pass back the costs to existing customers.

The amount of customers they will get from this promotion will far exceed the amount of "free loaders".

The more people who take up BB the more likely the technology is to evolve as customers demand faster BB services. I think this promotion is excellent, not because I will benefit from it in anyway but because it will cause an influx of BB users which will in turn require more investment from companies like Esat and Eircom.

I seriously doubt IOL will lose any serious amount of money with this promotion. Maybe short term but not long term. Isn't it Eircom Wholesale that are making this promotion possible? If IOL had any serious concerns that they would lose money they wouldn't make the offer. IOL may be a lot of things.... but they have been in business for years now, they must be doing something right.

X

A trial is to evaluate if a service/product is any good or it's worthwhile.
    Exactly. And that's exactly what Richard has stated he will NOT be doing.
    Why are so many people having problems understanding that concept?
    I've been wondering that myself.

As you seem to be having the same difficulty that Richard does understanding the notion that you can be entitled to do something, and yet still be considered a scumbag if you do it let me say it again - what Richard is patting himself on the back for doing isn't illegal. He won't be the only one doing it. Nobody here is even trying to talk him out of doing it. But, as he decided to dazzle us all with his brilliance in coming up with this little scheme (sarcasm alert), we're entitled to consider his behaviour as devious and underhand. And other ESAT/IOL customers are aware that, ultimately, he's taking money out of their pockets. The fact that he's not the only person doing it doesn't change any of that.

If the opinion of other people bothers him so much that he has to keep posting to defend his stance on the matter, he should consider either changing his behaviour, or not making such a song and dance about it in the first place.

Nobody here is even trying to talk him out of doing it. But, as he decided to dazzle us all with his brilliance in coming up with this little scheme (sarcasm alert), we're entitled to consider his behaviour as devious and underhand.

Oh my god. Its only a web cam thats pobably costing Esat €10

If its devious and underhand it would be in the same ball park as eating grapes in a supermarket.

/me smells a troll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

For one thing, the only reason this is happening is because of an offer from eircom wholesale. - so in essence they couldn't re-direct it at cheaper prices.

Second i don't quite agree with richard, i certainly don't agree with his apparent spaming requireing 4 posts for his response in a row. If he feels its worth all the effort of signing up and cancelling for a webcam let him work away, personally i've thrown away any webcam i've ever gotten, don't have/see a need for it, its dsl not a 10meg line - any vid conferencing would be useless on 128k upstream.

Though i think one person put it well, he did start the thread looking for a pat on the back in which case he's just a job ****e imo. But thats just my opinion, and o please do lock this thread.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by ozmo

It's not deception, it's availing of an offer being made by a company. Deception implies something illegal, which it is not.

And alot of others will sign up just for three months free, you think they won't?
    The three months free + a webcam IS THE OFFER/TRIAL...that's what the promotion is about.

It would be the same if the AIB had a special offer that you withdraw €100 from your account and they will give you €10 extra for free.

Are you saying that is scumbagish?....so people won't go and take all their money out and later on put it back in?

deluded fools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Is it illegal to sign up, take your free camera and return it after 2.99 months?

Then i don't see the fuss. IOL have already factored in the "asshole" constant, and they know this will happen.

He's signing up to get a free web cam and he's expecting a collective pat on the back for doing it. Are people not entitled to have an opinion of it? (without posters resorting to name calling?)
    I've signed up to IOL last week (my line started passing just in time for the offer, but I would have ordered anyway), but I have the intention of staying on. I don't care about a free webcam, I'm just sick of dialup.

That's entirely different, you're sick of dialup, as was i, and you want broadband...as did i. My mom rarely uses her dialup, i am always yapping on about broadband and how cool it is...so when i saw the offer i said, hey mom...why not check it out for free?

She dosen't use the net not "into" it like you and i are, she's just trying out to see what it's like. Then i heard about the free webcam and asked if i could keep it, she said cool.

And the fact is these offers would NOT be nesscary if Esat and Eircom would bring broadband to every household in Ireland that matches the European average.

We are not even close to that, when broadband launched last year it was hugely expensive and it put alot of people off. These offers are trying to get more people to sign up....the problem with prices is squarely at the feet of Eircom.

Consumers are paying for THEIR incompetence.

Exactly. And that's exactly what Richard has stated he will NOT be doing.
    I've been wondering that myself.

As you seem to be having the same difficulty that Richard does understanding the notion that you can be entitled to do something, and yet still be considered a scumbag if you do it let me say it again - what Richard is patting himself on the back for doing isn't illegal. He won't be the only one doing it. Nobody here is even trying to talk him out of doing it. But, as he decided to dazzle us all with his brilliance in coming up with this little scheme (sarcasm alert), we're entitled to consider his behaviour as devious and underhand. And other ESAT/IOL customers are aware that, ultimately, he's taking money out of their pockets. The fact that he's not the only person doing it doesn't change any of that.

Devious and underhand implies deception, i was honest and open about it. In fact i think anyone who wants a free webcam + 3 months free should sign up...point blank.

They don't have to want broadband for the long term nor do they have to have any real intent to stay with an ISP. All they need to know is a free trial is on offer with some freebies, why not take it?

Other Esat/IOL customers can't sign up...neither can i, only new customers with no previous installiation can sign.

I am certainly not taking money out of their pockets, stop talking bollocks...by your logic i am taking money from my own pocket since i am an IOLBB customer.

The only one's that will lose is, well nobody...as Esat have done the math on this and wouldn't even make the offer if they were gonna lose money, again...get a grip.

If the opinion of other people bothers him so much that he has to keep posting to defend his stance on the matter, he should consider either changing his behaviour, or not making such a song and dance about it in the first place.

But you're quite entitled to attack me then?...that's the logic, it's not ok for me to defend my position, yet it's ok for people to attack my position?

Great logic, i'll respond until the thread is lock or deleted, i won't have people call me scum when it's not justified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

i'll respond until the thread is lock or deleted

I think everyone has made their point by now. no-one is going to change their mind, so this whole thing should be dropped. The points have been made, argued and flamed at for 3 pages. No point in people getting banned for flaming.

EDIT: And the whole point in the edit button is so that you can edit posts so you dont have to post 2, 3 and four times in a row... thats known as spamming. But thats a seperate issue...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Haven't you ever seen a FREE TRIAL cd from AOL... where you get like a month free? Are people that take advantage of those cheapskates? By my understanding of how some of you think,,, anyone who doesn't enter this trial with the intention of signing a contract at the end is a scab/cheapskate etc etc. That is BS.

AOL do not give a free trail on DSL (unless you count the 7 day cooling off period)
    Now if you signed up for AOL DSL and ended the contract within 7 days and you kept the free webcam they ship out then your a total scumbag.
    Same applies to Esat setup imho

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

How is that type of thinking scumbagish?...a company makes an offer for broadband, and people take advantage of it...yet that makes them scumbags?

no people that sign up for a trail with the full intention of not going into a 12 month contract and keeping the webcam that they sent out are scumbagish

In other words it sounds like your signing up for it because your to cheap to buy your own webcam
    The amount of customers they will get from this promotion will far exceed the amount of "free loaders".
    X

Thats all very fine and well but if alot of people pull this **** then it ****s it over for everyone, so this type of stuff should NOTt be encouraged in anyway

Originally posted by Cabaal
    AOL do not give a free trail on DSL (unless you count the 7 day cooling off period)
    Now if you signed up for AOL DSL and ended the contract within 7 days and you kept the free webcam they ship out then your a total scumbag.
    Same applies to Esat setup imho

So during what time frame does one become a "sumbag"?, after 7 days, or after 3 months?...when does the notion of scumbagish creep in?

It's a trial offer from Esat, it say's nothing about having to stay on after 3 months, in fact...this is the major promotion difference between Esat and Eircom.

Eircom lock you in, you get three months free but you are tied to a contract, that's scumbag actions if you ask me. In reality it's not free at all since Eircom wholesale (considered a separate company by Comreg) are paying Eircom (themselves) and €120 rebate, which means the 3 months is already covered.

Whereas Esat have a great offer on hand, they won't tie you down and you can try it out, see if you like it. Now nowhere does it say that you must stay with them, it would be contrary to what a TRIAL is all about.

You can TRY it...free of charge, and just leave, that is what the damn promotion is about, the fact you get a free webcam is just a bonus, something to entice you to stay.

And ill be back later to confirm if the webcam is free or not, i'll talk with Ruth Fahey...she's a senior supervisor who has helped me before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

You know I don't think there'lll be any middle-ground people on this thread :)

You either fully agree and/or endorse what "Richard Dower" is doing, or you are completely against it :dunno:

I was going to state my opinion again, but it's pointless - Richard, you do what you feel is the right thing to do, we're hardly going to try to stop you (nor should we). But don't go looking for praise every time you "take advantage of a freebie" as you put it. We won't all agree with you - don't expect us to.

Daniel

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Cabaal no people that sign up for a trail with the full intention of not going into a 12 month contract and keeping the webcam that they sent out are scumbagis

Why should they?...are you saying that everyone who signs up MUST be intent on staying for 12 months?, then what exactly is the point of offering a "trial"?

Do you guys even know what a trial means?....you try it out, no obligation to stay or anything...it's a trial, you can just check it out with no strings attached.

You people really are stupid, and the webcam is free you moron.

n other words it sounds like your signing up for it because your to cheap to buy your own webcam

I am not signing up as i already have broadband, don't just type...think!
    I am signing my mom up, and she's giving me the webcam as she already has one.

And i am signing her up to check it out, use broadband on a free trial basis for 3 months, she won't stay as she not into the net that much, but would still like to try it out...hence the trial being offered by Esat.

The trial is not being offered to only people who will stay after 3 months you know, a trial is just that...a trial, it's not intended to lock people into staying, a trial is designed to let people experience broadband, and if they like it they can stay...if not they leave or they can just simply TRY IT OUT...a bloody trial.

Thats all very fine and well but if alot of people pull this **** then it ****s it over for everyone, so this type of stuff should NOTt be encouraged in anyway

Pull what?, mess what over for everyone?...it's not effecting you or anyone, so why cry about it?

So what you are saying is this, not to encourage anyone to take up the trial...is that it?

At this stage you guys don't even know what you are bitching about or defending any longer, messing things up for people...taking money out of our pockets, do you people even realise how utterly stupid you all sound?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement