Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Perpetual provisional

Options
  • 29-05-2004 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

For a car I see that you can have a 1st, 2nd, 3rd provisional
    How long is each valid for?
    Can you get a 4th provisional, 5th etc, at longas you provide evidence of a failed test?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

Originally posted by vector
    For a car I see that you can have a 1st, 2nd, 3rd provisional
    How long is each valid for?

The first and second are valid for 2 years *each* (total: 4 years).

The third is valid for 2 years *if* you provide a fail cert (from failing a driving test in whatever category you're applying for) that is less than 2 years old.

Otherwise, its for 1 year - but you'll only get that if you provide evidence of an upcoming test (like an acknowledgement letter or print out of your transaction acknowledgement page if you apply online).

Originally posted by vector
    Can you get a 4th provisional, 5th etc, at longas you provide evidence of a failed test?

Technically, YES!

You could keep on getting Provisional licences forever with evidence of failed tests. It'd be pretty costly though - €38 per test and €15 per licence. Probably cheaper to pass the feckin' test! :D

That said, last I heard there were plans to scrap the current Provisional licences and replace them with a single Learners permit that is valid until you actually pass a test. I doubt you'll be allowed anywhere near a public road on your own when/if that ever comes to pass! (At least I hope that'll be the case - If you can't pass the test in 1 or 2 goes then **I** sure as hell don't want to meet you on the road! :D).

Tommy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

My uncle - a sales rep constantly on the road - ran on provisionals for a good 15-20 years. Dunno how he managed it, but I presume that the rules have changed.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Great system

If I go to a bank to get a loan and I fail to pay it back, are they gonna give me another loan? :rolleyes:

Only people that can prove they have at least the basic skills to safely drive a car (i.e. have succesfully passed their test) should be on the road

Advertisement