Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to Cheat in the Leaving Cert

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

I cheated in the LC and in some of my college exams. I don't feel any remorse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭minority

Originally posted by SheroN
    I cheated in the LC and in some of my college exams. I don't feel any remorse.

You're doomed. God was wathcin ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

Originally posted by minority

Judging from what's being said here, the examiner probably was too. Luckily, they probably ignored it. God, however, he will most likely smite you for your insolence. Yes. SMITE YOU DOWN. Or just ignore it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

Some people seem to be suggesting that people who don't cheat are less innovative, smart, confident, capable of succeeding in the big bad world of real life. This may be true in some cases, but think about it practically. When someone thinks up a great way to cheat, soon enough everyone knows about it, as illustrated by that guy talking about his whole year cheating. To cheat you don't have to be creative (even though you might be), you just have to have balls. Anyone can cheat, it's a very simple concept, you bring something to read, that's it. What makes you think that LC cheaters are some kind of group of budding entrepreneurs? In reality, there are plenty of fantastically creative people who will do great in life, and many of them choose not to cheat in the LC. To make ANY generalisation about the qualities and personal attributes LC cheaters/non-cheaters have (excluding morals) is going way over the top.

That point made, on to why people cheat/don't cheat. 99.9% of the time because of the risk, I highly doubt the moral aspect plays any part in the decision for most people. If there was no risk involved, pretty much everyone would do it, many of them despite thinking it's wrong, because they couldn't compete otherwise. The question is whether it is actually right or wrong. To answer that question adequately you have to establish what cheating in the LC is exactly, because on the face of it it's fairly harmless, and it's easy to convince yourself that you're not affecting anyone else. Well, the LC is essentially a nationwide competition. The grade you get is irrelevant, what matters is whether it's better than what Joe Soap got. Anyone thinking "come on, reading a piece of paper for a few extra marks isn't going to make a big difference", ask yourself what the point in cheating is at all if it doesn't make a difference. There are only a set amount of college places. By cheating, what you are really doing is trying to get into course X instead of someone else. You're not "beating the system", or whatever other ideological spin you want to put on it, you are trying to cheat someone else out of a college place, and that is an indisputable fact, so the issue here is whether you think THAT is right or wrong. I think many people fail to see the link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭callmescratch

Originally posted by krattapopov
    ive thought long and hard about this.......

cheaters are scum.

have to disagree with you there. if i was doin my LC again i'd definitely cheat. not that i did badly, but you soon realise after the LC that you don't actually need ANY of the knowledge when you go to college, so why learn it. you could start with a clean slate.
    the LC is a cruel, outdated, demoralising experience which is just unnesessarily
    stressful.
    so don't cheat if you don't want to krattapopov (if that is your real name) but take it easy on ppl who see things differently to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Originally posted by subway_ie
    We don't all agree that the leaving cert system is totally screwed. It's a relatively fair system - if you can suggest ANY system that's allready in place that works better than the leaving cert, and produces results, then I would be VERY impressed. A-Levels? Bac maybe? SATS? No - the leaving cert beats them all: for fairness, broadness, general education. The leaving cert is a good foundation for a good system - it could be improved, but not hugely. People have to work hard - a lot don't. That's the individuals problem, not the systems.

Bull****. You're saying a wide course is of more value than a focused course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

Originally posted by User45701
    if you all agree that the leaving cert system is screwed then why do u go along with it?

just a wild guess here, but i'd say it's cause they want to go directly to a proper college. I'd have to say it would be pretty sad to not to work for the lc just cause you believe the system to be screwed.

What do you want? All the lc's to band together and refuse to do the exam? - a highly risky and improbable option. Better option is just to wait for the slow slow slow process of reform.

Originally posted by Kold
    Bull****. You're saying a wide course is of more value than a focused course.

Yeah. I am. Clap clap. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Originally posted by minority

Ur joking right?
    Originally posted by dangerman
    just a wild guess here, but i'd say it's cause they want to go directly to a proper college. I'd have to say it would be pretty sad to not to work for the lc just cause you believe the system to be screwed.

What do you want? All the lc's to band together and refuse to do the exam? - a highly risky and improbable option. Better option is just to wait for the slow slow slow process of reform.

Well like i said

If NOONE studied then it would still be fair

I still dont understand why ppl go along with something they think is a stupid system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Can I lock this yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

Originally posted by callmescratch
    have to disagree with you there. if i was doin my LC again i'd definitely cheat. not that i did badly, but you soon realise after the LC that you don't actually need ANY of the knowledge when you go to college, so why learn it. you could start with a clean slate.
    the LC is a cruel, outdated, demoralising experience which is just unnesessarily
    stressful.
    so don't cheat if you don't want to krattapopov (if that is your real name) but take it easy on ppl who see things differently to you

please read what i have already posted callmescratch if that is your real name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Kelter

;>

Originally posted by seamus
    Can I lock this yet?

but we're all having such a great discussion.

can u blow it up?

Can I lock this yet?

Why would you lock it? It could provide valuable English, Paper 1, composition material.

I still dont understand why ppl go along with something they think is a stupid system

Read my post again. They go along with it to go to college. Whats hard to understand about that.

Maybe they don't think it's a stupid system? More to the point, if you think it's so terrible, why are you going along with it? Why didn't you drop out after Junior Cert, or just not sign up for the Leaving Cert exam? You could've done the SATs or GCSEs just as easily. But you didn't. Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Can I lock this yet?

I vote yes...

Isn't it kinda funny how this is the thread with the second highest number of posts since the creation of the Leaving Cert forum, the first being about the Mocks (indirectly a thread about cheating, since most people were asking for what comes up on the papers...).

But yeah, lock it, it's just the same point coming up over and over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by subway_ie
    Isn't it kinda funny how this is the thread with the second highest number of posts since the creation of the Leaving Cert forum, the first being about the Mocks (indirectly a thread about cheating, since most people were asking for what comes up on the papers...).
    I'd say it's mostly because we have a forum full of Leaving Certers who will do absolutely anything but study, hence the huge growth of this thread.

Thread starter requests lockage, and I can't see this being much more than a spam magnet.

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement