Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SOLAR SYSTEM PAN (Dublin movie project)

Options
  • 29-05-2004 12:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

So far I've been busy collecting 3D models of the things I'll be needing for the rendering of the first two animations: ONE animation (about 1 min) of a solar system pan as it is today; and TWO: an animation (about 1 min); more or less exactly the same movements and shots, but the solar system as it would be in the 24th century, during star trek.

So far, I got hold of the following models:
    *some artificial satellites to orbit around Mars and Earth
    *textures for the main planets coming in view: Pluto, Jupiter, asteroids, Mars,
    Earth and Moon;
    *drydock stations (two versions: a TMP style, and a Nemesis style one)
    *Spacedock

I'll start posting pics of quick renderings of the planets. Some will have backgrounds already, some not.

First planet: PLUTO (it is actually a very high definition texture of Ganymede, a moon of Saturn, or was it Jupiter ?:dunno: )

Please, post comments at will.

The Admiral

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭The Admiral

SECOND planet: EARTH

THIRD planet: MARS I'm busy searching for higher quality textures for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Nice, very nice

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Lookin good man, real good infact. However i have to ask, that earth texture, is it a conversion of the america's earth texture from bridge commander? Also, if possible, post up a render of the 24th century earth with a starbase and perhaps a sovvie flying past, just for prettiness, if it's not too much to ask. Just wanna see how it'd turn out, that kinda thing. All this work is very much appreciated you know.

Originally posted by Achilles
    Lookin good man, real good infact. However i have to ask, that earth texture, is it a conversion of the america's earth texture from bridge commander? Also, if possible, post up a render of the 24th century earth with a starbase and perhaps a sovvie flying past, just for prettiness, if it's not too much to ask. Just wanna see how it'd turn out, that kinda thing.

No, the used textures are actually six layers of texturefiles I got from a NASA-affiliated site. But I will have to redo some of them because they are too low resolution. I remember seeing texture files of gigantic formats (something like 10000x30000 pixels). Of course, THAT would be hell of a job not to be done on any mediocre PC configuration :)

I'm right now working on a "low poly" Sovereign version with relatively good textures. Once I'm done with that, I'll render an Earth-Sovvie-Spacedock pic ;)

The Admiral

• Advertisement

Good, for those among you - wild animals - who have this undying hunger for more ;) I made a quick render of the Earth, Spacedock and the Enterprise E put together in a scene. It's done quickly, so don't mind the details :p

The Admiral

ps: the Spacedock and Enterprise models are from Starfleet Command and Bridge Commander.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Looks great but i would rccemend having ireland visible like in the photo above and i would also having the sovy in the distance, mabe aproching or leaving the starbase. Just a suggestion

Originally posted by User45701
    Looks great but i would rccemend having ireland visible like in the photo above and i would also having the sovy in the distance, mabe aproching or leaving the starbase. Just a suggestion

Well, I didn't spend too much time on composition, because that would take me hours... This is just a bit of fun AND to show you people the models that will be used in the movie project.
    About the Ireland visibility: I'll put it in the BIG spotlight next time :p

The Admiral

I made some storyboards on the 2 animations I'm working on. Basically, these storyboards will be the same for both 21st and 24th century solar system pans - except that in the 21st century pan, some of the star trek "items" will be replaced with 21st century spacecraft (like satellites and....that's about it :p )

Because of the VERY low maximum attachment sizes on this board, I will have to present these 9 storyboards in three separate zipfiles :confused:

The Admiral

....and part 2....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

....and part 3... :rolleyes:

Ya know man, that has to be almost exactly how i pictured it in my mind. *saves images for inclusion on the dvd extras!!!* hehe seriously tho some very good ideas there. You're a very valuable asset to this project. By the way, i keep forgetting what country you are from, enlighten me... again. Please.

Ya know man, that has to be almost exactly how i pictured it in my mind. *saves images for inclusion on the dvd extras!!!* hehe seriously tho some very good ideas there. You're a very valuable asset to this project. By the way, i keep forgetting what country you are from, enlighten me... again. Please.

Belgium (if you don't know where that is: on the map, just at the right of the U.K., that little smudge over the Northsea...that's it... :) )

The Admiral

The first render of one frame in the beginning of the solar system pan nearby planet Pluto. I'm still working on the Sun although it will be visible during the first couple of frames only.

The Admiral

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Though you where english .....great work btw :)

did belgium beat holland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭shinzon

Admiral just a quick question, you wouldnt be THE ADMIRAL from the bridgecommander days, did you hand over your Excelsior model to the then sci-fi dreamyards for final hard pointing etc

Just wondering

Shin

Originally posted by shinzon
    Admiral just a quick question, you wouldnt be THE ADMIRAL from the bridgecommander days, did you hand over your Excelsior model to the then sci-fi dreamyards for final hard pointing etc

Just wondering

Shin

No. I'm not him :) I'm another incarnation :p
    Originally posted by bizmark
    Though you where english .....great work btw

did belgium beat holland ?

Well, I'm not English.... And what do you mean exactly with "beating Holland" ?

The Admiral

I'm pretty sure he means something to do with soccer, which, thankfully, i dont think they play anymore in the 24th century. But if they do... ahh god love them, always watching other good looking fit males running around in shorts showing off their legs. Beh... sorry... rant... insult... rant rant, etc :P

I'm pretty sure he means something to do with soccer

Well, I don't watch soccer... In fact, my tv has been unplugged for over 3 months continuously today... I don't have the time to waste hours on that viewing box anymore...just as in the 24th century :)

The Admiral

ps: If I really, really want to watch a movie, I try to choose one of my 216 DVD's and project it on the wall with my beamer :p:D :cool:

Project onto the wall with your.... with your... your...... hrm.... hrmmmm yummmmmmmmmmphnnnummm. I hate you.... bastid. :P

• Advertisement

Have you started on this yet admiral?!

Have you started on this yet admiral?!

I'll be getting back to it after this weekend (19th- 20th June) :D

The Admiral

Good good, keep me posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Fuhrio

film still going ahead?, hasnt been any post about it in a while

Yeah still going ahead, as i keep saying i've no home net access at the moment so i can't post here every day and stuff, although i do try ;) It's not on hold or anything just not alot happening right now. Would you guys be up for some kind of meetup in the near future? I'm not talking about like what happened the last time, with only myself and data turning up. Anyone who has anything to offer, or even if you don't come and see what we can get done ;-)

Advertisement