Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Americans

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

SO, only half of America voted for Mr Bush Jr. eh. so does that mean the blood of the thousands of dead Iraqi's, Afgani's and the countless others killed either directly through American aggression or indirectly though it's foriegn policy is only on the hands of the half that did?

no, oh OK that's alright then. For a minute there I thought the American people were going to have to take responsibility for voting that tyrant into power. few that was close.

Oh, and bombing Ireland? the millions of American dollars that have been pumped into supporting the IRA have done plenty towards bombing Ireland already.

Oh, yeah, and thanks for saving us all in WW2 it was kind of you not to let us fight it out for 2 years and lose millions of people before jumping in just because you lost a few ships. oh, yeah, you did do that didn't you. OK, then thanks for waiting until there was no other thing for you to do but step in, when it was almost done. OH, and then vaporise millions of japanese after they had surrendered. good going.

The UN was dealing with Iraq quite adequitely thank you very much, it didn't need American 'help' and specifically decreed that america should not invade unnecessarily, but Dictator Bush decided he just had to finish off what daddy had started all those years before.

well my friend you shall reap what you have sown, but unfortunately that also means that the rest of us will too.

The Russian army couldn't beat the Afgani's, and that was one small pocket of Muslims. There are lots more out there who would be more than happy to show America what a few determined individuals are capable of achieving. SOmething big is coming and it's going to make 9/11 looks like a picnic. the timgle biggest reason it's going to happen is because of American foreign policy and George W Bush.

Remember that in the next election, if you get to have one.

a291.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

The only difference that I can spot between America and Nazi Germany is that you're getting away with it.
    Oh, so true.
    I mean, how could you miss the similarities.

Each are totalitarian Nazi states, under which all forms of media are controlled. Not a single free voice, not so much as a Church pamphlet, can be printed without the Nazi's reading over it first.

If you are of a different opinon from the Furher, your shot. Or worse, sent to a concentration camp.

It's education system changed to the point that in the Maths curiculum there are questions such as:
    "A hospital for disabled people is being run at 50,000 Marks a year.
    If you stopped funding the hospital, how many tanks you could you buy out of the money saved over a seven year period?"

Don't be so ignorant as to compare Nazi Germany to America, George Bush isn't even the same ballpark as Hitler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Originally posted by Cannibal Ox
    Oh, so true.
    I mean, how could you miss the similarities.

Each are totalitarian Nazi states, under which all forms of media are controlled. Not a single free voice, not so much as a Church pamphlet, can be printed without the Nazi's reading over it first.

I know u were using sarcasm for all ur post but this part is true .

My opinion of America is : it has a terible government but its people are nice , they're just a little stupid is all ( with some of them of course not all or the majority )

If the media is under complete control, why are they allowed to criticise Bush? Why are they allowed to put Colin Powell on the spot when during an interview the camera veers off him during a difficult question? Why was the 9/11 inquiry shown on daytime TV even, as it is now, hinting at some damning things for the Bush administration. Or the questioning of Rumsfeld and Army officers about the torturing shown on TV?

I'm not a fan of the Bush administration, I'm just trying to point out that turning it into some kind of facist dictastorship is hardly realistic.

they put Colin Powell on the spot because he's an intelligent person and can answer most questions he's asked easily .

How come Fox News never shows anything graphic of an American , but when its an Iraqi its alright ?

Hmm, Fox News being the only American News station?
    he's an intelligent person
    I wouldn't exactly call Rumsfeld the quickest runner in the race, but besides that, what does that matter?
    They still questioned him, if America was Nazi German the reporter would have been shot.

I'll agree that's American news isn't altogether honest in it's portrayal of the Iraq War but at the same time, from my original point, it's hardly under the iron fist of Bush now is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭keu

they put Colm Powell on the spot because he's an intelligent person and can answer most questions he's asked easily.
    Colin L. Powell became the 65th Secretary of State on January 20, 2001

http://www.state.gov/secretary/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Originally posted by Big Ears
    they put Colm Powell on the spot

WTF?

Anyways, why is it that all media questions for george bush have to be pre-approved before press conferences? Funny how he still manages to keep putting his foot in his month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭skipn_easy

The fact that this guy, the OP, is actually trying to find out what other people think of the americans and is not completely self-absorbed is heartening. Its a pity that the thread degenerated into an attack on the american government though (justified or not), as opposed to an interesting discussion on the american people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭IDM

On the topic of media ...

Fox News = crap controlled by a single bloke that lurves Bush.

Watch CNN for five minutes and you'll notice that that they'd rather have a dead pigeon as the president of the US.

My favourite anti-Bush media source, though, is by far the Washington Post. Practically every single photo of him that they publish makes him look like an orangutan. They aren't the most subtle publishers out there ... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

There are several amercians on my "death list" , its my list of people i will kill if i ever find out i have 6 months to live, i tell u "i will make kill bill look like bambi" - User45701

But there are also several amercians who i consider friends so it depends on the person. Its just like saying do i like irish people. Im irish but given the opertunity i would have over 1/2 million irish people - have them shot in the streets (all those "scumbags") ppl who go out looking for fights and also shoot all the people who sell "hard" drugs.

So u cant generalise. i saw bush mentioned so i refer you to http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=161711&perpage=20&pagenumber=5 Irish re-elect george W

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Im goin to bed happy now:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ll=llannah

i can't be bothered to write out something about U.S. foreign policy right now. so instead i decided to spread the love via this wonderful poem:
    This is a short poem made up entirely of actual quotations from George W. Bush. These have been arranged, only for aesthetic purposes, by Washington Post writer, Richard Thompson.

MAKE THE PIE HIGHER

I think we all agree, the past is over.
    This is still a dangerous world.
    It's a world of madmen and uncertainty
    And potential mental losses.
    Rarely is the question asked
    Is our children learning?
    Will the highways of the Internet
    Become more few?
    How many hands have I shaked?
    They misunderestimate me.
    I am a pitbull on the pantleg of opportunity.
    I know that the human being
    And the fish can coexist.
    Families is where our nation finds hope,
    Where our wings take dream.
    Put food on your family!
    Knock down the tollbooth!
    Vulcanize society!
    Make the pie higher!
    Make the pie higher!

oh, btw, /raises hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭40crush41

(sitting waiting to be acknowledged that my hand is raised)
    eh?oh right, can't see me-theres a computer screen in the way-silly computer screen.

hmm- would it be better if america became an isolationistic goverenment? can't say i know all the details about the consequences of this change- don't even know if itd be possible due to how small the world has become. plus due to the fact that we have so much money and not be willing to share it would make us a bit selfish.
    at the same time however, im sick (very sick) of getting into other peoples business when we have enough problems of our own.
    so- dumb idea?

and may i ask ya'll to be kind to me? im just thinking out loud...
    ~beth

edit: eh, hope this inquiry isn't too random-
    (hey hannah =))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Originally posted by 40crush41
    (hmm- would it be better if america became an isolationistic goverenment? can't say i know all the details about the consequences of this change- don't even know if itd be possible due to how small the world has become. plus due to the fact that we have so much money and not be willing to share it would make us a bit selfish.
    at the same time however, im sick (very sick) of getting into other peoples business when we have enough problems of our own.
    so- dumb idea?
    (hey hannah =))

-America was isolationist before world war 1 and before world war 2 until the wall street crises were it briefly emerged to tkae back the money it loaned and then went into the depression. Alot of people argue that it was America's isolationist policy that allowed Hitler to rise. So if you take that line of thought. Then No...isolationism is bad.

But there is a difference between isolationism and aggressionism. What America is doing right now is Aggressionism. Before 9/11 USA was semi-isolated in culture (people didnt care about rest of world, government did hence Kosovo) but post 9/11 there has been a complete turn around and now the country is majoritly aggressive under the belief of *Security*. What the world wants to see is America take its place with other countries in working together for everyone. Not grabbing the ball on its own and making a mess of it (think of it as a game of rugby. Iraq is a rook, America is a big guy who has jumped over alone grabbed the ball and now has 30 or so smaller guys hanging off him. The rest of the *west* is too far away (by americas own fault) to help. (xcept for england.)

*Of course most americans never played rugby and have no idea wha i'm saying...*sigh*

On the Nazi Germany argument. *SLAP* Dip**** grow up, read abit about nazi germany before spouting totalitarian crap...they cant even define the word properly let alone apply it to anyone. Thats the media pulling you around saying Nazi Germany abused everyone and shot you if you stepped out of line. Sorry to break it to you but that was rare, more common was other Germans turning on them calling them 'Un-German' etc. Now where have we heard that before. ANd before you bring up the concentration camps The jewish people held the same popularity in europe as the Arabs do today in the world, or black people in 1960s america. So people turned a blind eye. The state did not enforce it on them. Note Germany DID BACK DOWN when the catholic church opposed the state plan killing of handicapped people, part of the eugenics policy. which funnily enough existed in Britain, America and Ireland at the same time...bloody hell.

Nazi germany and totalitarianism have become boo-words and all anyone has to say to get people stirred up for war is to say said country is like nazi germany (as was said for Iraq, Kosovo, Cuba, Vietnam, Korea and so on) i think afganastan was exception because they didnt need to.

Oh and to the person ho compared nazi germany to america *SLAP* same to you, research before you compare. both of you are wrong. Of all the fascist regimes, the closest to America was Franco's Spain. (Which wasnt pretty either)

now i feel so much better

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭40crush41

BlitzKrieg- thanks for the reply
    so we'll search for this happy medium- wish it was as easy at that.

so in a completely isolationlist nation-neither the gov nor the people care about whats going on round them.. government doesn't intervene in world affairs even if someone is blowing it up.

then semi-isolationist country- people don't care, but government does as they 'police' other nations.
    (where do u draw the line here? what if a leader went nuts and started killing people- is it the place of this powerful country to step in or does it sit back and let that nation deal with its issues?) tbh, i think id leave em alone- nobody seems to want our help anyway. idk. - don't know anything about world politics either, it all makes me sick.. too bad its important.

then i guess there would be semi-aggressivism which probably be about the same, but people care more about governement affairs in foreign policy.

and then total aggresivism where the american people wave their little flags and cry for justice when someone gets shot, government walks all over other nation. ball. little people hang on big person. rook.

k, think i understand.. if i have just proven myself to not understand go ahead and tell me about it.

thank you so very very much~beth

btw- my sis played rugby- she explained some of the rules to me, something about lifting people up so they can throw the ball farther. mmmhmm, she turned into a blueberry, said it was the funnest thing shes ever done. would imagine so, tackling people looks enjoyable. that being said.. silly researching for essay must begin again =_(

Hmm, Fox News being the only American News station?

the only one thats funny . The Oreily Factor is the best hour of comedy u can get .

I wouldn't exactly call Rumsfeld the quickest runner in the race, but besides that, what does that matter?

Neither did I .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭giveth

Originally posted by Boston
    So this is the total of your arguement. Insult people is not how to have an open exchange of opinions. It's also against whatever rules are in operation around here. A fact you are aware of Mr first point is an insult.

Being blatently racist is not how things are done around here either. You hate all americans unconditionally because of their government. If that's not racism, i dont know what is.

If that is your logic, why don't you hate all iraqis because of sadam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by giveth
    Being blatently racist is not how things are done around here either. You hate all americans unconditionally because of their government. If that's not racism, i dont know what is.

If that is your logic, why don't you hate all iraqis because of sadam?

American isn't a race. Everything I've said is true, you can't argue with it so you call me a Racist. I love the way you tell me who I hate child, its very interesting. As for Iraq, thats a dictatorship, they are not responsible for the actions of those in power. Americans are.

• Advertisement

actually racism is just hateing people because of their race , not their government . Although maybe if you replaced the word racist/racism with predudist / predudism

Originally posted by Big Ears
    actually racism is just hateing people because of their race , not their government . Although maybe if you replaced the word racist/racism with predudist / predudism

Is it predudist to condem a people due to the actions of there elected representatives. Actions which the amjority support? Isn't that what democracy is, sharing the blame.

Is it predudist to condem a people due to the actions of there elected representatives. Actions which the amjority support? Isn't that what democracy is, sharing the blame.

Sure, because you're just tossing those who don't support it in with the rest of them. That isn't fair, now is it ? I've yet to meet an American in Ireland who supports George Bush or how we went about the war (excluding those bloody tourists, of course).

So there's no need to just automatically assume that because someone's American that they wanted all this sh1t to go down. I think you'll find that there are plenty of us who feel exactly the same way about our government, as you. Hell, I have a hard time admitting I'm American over here ! It's a much safer bet to pull the Scottish/Australian card (thanks to the good old parents).

Individual americans can be ok. But the fact is the george bush supports don't leave America and have no concept of the outside world, other then what they are feed/

But the fact is the george bush supports don't leave America ......

Are you really complaining ? I for one am happy that the majority of Americans overseas are more educated democrats. Everyone would really really hate us if your average Joes were pissin about Europe causing hell. The one thing I worry about now is that too many republicans have gotten into travelling. They're the ones that do a number on our image ...

Originally posted by IDM
    Are you really complaining ? I for one am happy that the majority of Americans overseas are more educated democrats. Everyone would really really hate us if your average Joes were pissin about Europe causing hell. The one thing I worry about now is that too many republicans have gotten into travelling. They're the ones that do a number on our image ...

Your foreing policy does a number on your Image, people are not stupid enough to base their entire opinion on Americans based upon afew doesy tourists.

Your foreing policy does a number on your Image, people are not stupid enough to base their entire opinion on Americans based upon afew doesy tourists.

But again, foreign policy --> government. And if you've been following the polls --> check dis

I think you'll realise that you're not the only one upset with Bush's administration & foreign policy. Absentee ballot in November, baby.

Question for yee Americans , how come a huge amount of high positions in your're country goes to ex-military people .

MAKE THE PIE HIGHER

I think we all agree, the past is over.
    This is still a dangerous world.
    It's a world of madmen and uncertainty
    And potential mental losses.
    Rarely is the question asked
    Is our children learning?
    Will the highways of the Internet
    Become more few?
    How many hands have I shaked?
    They misunderestimate me.
    I am a pitbull on the pantleg of opportunity.
    I know that the human being
    And the fish can coexist.
    Families is where our nation finds hope,
    Where our wings take dream.
    Put food on your family!
    Knock down the tollbooth!
    Vulcanize society!
    Make the pie higher!
    Make the pie higher!

Brilliant!

Seriously though, how did that man get the job?

@BlitzKrieg
    Sorry to break it to you but that was rare
    Pff, so I exaggerated it a little bit.

I know everyone wasn't just shot for saying the wrong thing, and yes I know it was more common for people to turn you into/inform the Gestapo for suspicous, un-German activities rather then you actually walking out on the street and proclaiming yourself anti-Hitler and then being shot down by a bunch of goose stepping, black uniform wearing German's with horns and tails.

I know that mostly they were sent to prisons, or a camp rather then being shot.
    Why waste the bullets when they can just rot in a cell instead?

I also know that by 1933 over 26,000 prisoners were held in Camps. Torture and beatings were common and a lot of people died there. Cheaper I suppose then shooting them all.
    Like Hitler said, "People will think twice before opposing us, if they know what awaits them in the camps".
    Can't say I've ever heard Bush say anything simillar to that, can't say either that Bush has turned America into a place were your afriad to speak your mind in case your neighbour turns you in to the FBI for "un-American" thoughts.

By 1939 there were 18 camps with over 250,000 prisoners.
    Now, I'm not stupid and I realise, you can't simply shoot that many people, it's easier (not to mention politically wiser) to throw them in camps or prisons for speaking out againest you.
    Also, when several people from your street have been taken away to the Camps and don't return, your more likely to keep your mouth shut then if their gunned down outside of your house.

They did kill people, in and outside of the camps, for speaking out againest Hitler and the Nazi's and I don't think anyone can deny that.

That was the point I was trying to make, albeit exagerated somewhat, about the difference between America and Nazi Germany.
    America has free speech, Nazi Germany didn't.
    Dip**** grow up, read abit about nazi germany before spouting totalitarian crap
    I've just finished my fourth set of notes for the LC on Hitler and Germany, I'm not exactly an ignorant dip**** on the matter.
    So maybe, next time, think before you start spouting crap about someone you don't even know.
    Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

peoples opinions of americans may be coloured by the fact that most of the worlds experience of american people is through TV. So most of them get the reputation of bein like them retards off friends and Jerry Springer. Also, they have shows dedicated to showing stupid people doin stupid things. In reality, every american ive ever met has been nice and friendly. and not fat. maybe a bit condescending.

PS im not sayin 9/11 was because Osama didnt like friends. i'd explain more but ive a bad hangover.

Stupidity can be an endearing quality at times, the reason why shows like friends or the simpsons are so funny is because we can relate to the humour of stupidity, it makes us laugh. Americans have perfected the technique of being stupid (probably an inherited Irish quality) and have managed to take that quality and install it in the whitehouse, which for some reason makes it unfunny, because in real life, unlike cartoons and TV shows, when people blow up they actually die.

I don't know who is more stupid, G.W. Bush or the American Public for voting G.W.Bush as leader of the current global superpower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I also know that by 1933 over 26,000 prisoners were held in Camps. Torture and beatings were common and a lot of people died there. Cheaper I suppose then shooting them all.
    Like Hitler said, "People will think twice before opposing us, if they know what awaits them in the camps".
    Can't say I've ever heard Bush say anything simillar to that, can't say either that Bush has turned America into a place were your afriad to speak your mind in case your neighbour turns you in to the FBI for "un-American" thoughts.

Pfft... 1933??? dude better recheck your dates, Hitler didnt fully secure power until early 1934 late 1933 the camps your thinking of where approved by the riechstag (then a democracy..oh my)in general by the following precedure...

...He came to head of riechstag in 1933, riechstag burns in march he uses it as an excuse to put communists and opposers in camps. 2001 Bush comes to power and 2 towers in september...he uses it as an excuse to push down on the arab population and put in prison 100s of people. Hitler did not become a dictator until the end of 1933 early 1934 when hindenburg (president) passed away and the military supported him (very imp. if your doing LC to focuse on military support, and the night of long knives if question is securing power in germany.)

By 1939 there were 18 camps with over 250,000 prisoners.
    Now, I'm not stupid and I realise, you can't simply shoot that many people, it's easier (not to mention politically wiser) to throw them in camps or prisons for speaking out againest you.
    Also, when several people from your street have been taken away to the Camps and don't return, your more likely to keep your mouth shut then if their gunned down outside of your house.

thats why we have the internet today, take china for an example, they are taking the prosucute and lock em up route, yet we get so many images of this over the TV and internet. just because your a dictator does not mean you have to be stupid, there are far more effective ways of shutting people up then locking them up. Make them sound crazy, or as stated already 'un-american' there was a great documentary a while back about Stalin on how he was an evil basterd but had the people he got rid off look even more evil. Similer policy here without the killing off aspect as it causes unnecasary b*ll****ing on how they died.

They did kill people, in and outside of the camps, for speaking out againest Hitler and the Nazi's and I don't think anyone can deny that.

never did, just saying that it is not as extreme as the public like to believe, personnally i wanna slap spielberg for that scene in saving private ryan, where the
    German they freed comes back and kills them. sure its the risks of war but alot of kids around my area think germans are evil a-holes because of that scene

That was the point I was trying to make, albeit exagerated somewhat, about the difference between America and Nazi Germany.
    America has free speech, Nazi Germany didn't.

Ahh but whats the point of free speech if no one will listen to you. Free Speech is like in england where reporters are allowed ask tony blair anything and shout at him and rip the poor f*cker to bits (entertaining yet depressing to watch, what a paradox) But in America they pass around a card saying YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED ASK ABOUT THE FOLLOWING.... Great free speech there, ask something bad and you're never allowed go back. So go ahead ask about it, Bushy will say 'no comment mkaay' and you will never see the inside of the white house again except on little crappy tours.

And if you read my piece. I dont think Bush is like Hitler, Hitler controlled the economy, Bush is like Franco, who was more controlled by the economy and the big families and buisnesses. But Franco did nasty stuff to his opposition as well so dont think just cause it aint hitler it aint bad.

I've just finished my fourth set of notes for the LC on Hitler and Germany, I'm not exactly an ignorant dip**** on the matter.
    So maybe, next time, think before you start spouting crap about someone you don't even know.
    Cheers. [/B]

ok. I have done LC history (hold a proud piece of paper with a big FAT A on it (dont wanna brag) but when you do university history (specifically 20th century european history and politics, and guess who is a big part of it) you learn quickly that alot of what you learn in LC is full of sh*t. Read 'Dark Continent' by Mozawar and that'll open anyones eyes how ****ed up the entire world has been for the last 100 years...

p.s damnit i gotta learn how to spell quote!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭UnrealQueen

I think americans are very friendly people. I absolutely love them. I was there a few years ago, and the people there would bend over backwards to help you out. I can't wait to go back:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

O I'm sorry. We all really like you and you're really great. Thanks for saving us from the mean nasty Nazi's and then does damn Reds.

What I always find hilarious about 'saving us from the nazis' is that it was actually the russians who saved us all from the nazis..

Originally posted by soma
    What I always find hilarious about 'saving us from the nazis' is that it was actually the russians who saved us all from the nazis..

Actually it was a hell of alot of people working together that stoped tha nazi's no one saved anybody. People fought and died for their own freedom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

WE'RE NUMBER 1
    WE'RE NUMBER 1
    WE'RE NUMBER 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Americans are like anyone.. some are nice, some are great fun, some are plain stupid, and some deserve to be killed :D

My girlfriend is American, she is not up herself nor is she stupid. Maybe its because she has Irish roots.
    I have met plenty of americans and liked most of them. Women are the best, American guys are more likely to be asses. This again depends on the person.

Advertisement