Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPU @ 100% at start up

Options
  • 29-05-2004 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

hey all, have problem with my CPU at 100% at start up. I have opened task manager and looked at the processes taking place and it seems that services.exe is taking up a lot of CPU percentage. However when i go to end this process windows tells me it is a critical process and wont let me end it.

What can i do? it making my computer horribly slow.
    Im running XP.

screeny.GIF

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

hummmmmmmmmmm,

OK type "msconfig" in the run dialog, click startup & disable all, reboot see if this solves your problem, then I would do a spyware scan & virus scan.

Thanks JoePC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

kill rasautou, hpotdd01 & hpztsb08 look very dodgy, i'd say you have some sort of browser hijack, trojan whatever
    run adaware, spybot s&d, hijackthis ! etc ...

there should be a sticky telling people to run all these progs before starting a thread

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭namaimo

downloaded AVG and when i run it it finds a virus but then the program ends. any ideas hwo i could run AVG and it not abruptly ending?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Looks like sasser or something. I re-installed xp pro and went online nefore putting up a firewall and it was similar to that. Lookmn for stinger.exe, it sorts out a few of those worms. It's a small download.
    Run command.com
    go to windows\system32
    and run netstat -a

if you've a lot of crap showing, thats a worm then.

Also, run services.msc, and disable SSDP discovery service, it takes up a lot of RAM sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

could be hp drivers those two ..... go to housecall.trendmicro.com and do the free online scan .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭namaimo

got AVG working so its busy doing its thing...out of 43,000 or so files 13,000 or so are infected. not my computer by the way but a friends.:eek:

Advertisement