Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9 meg cable service (40 euro a month)

• 29-05-2004 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

But just before you nearly get over-excited, I must warn you, that yes, it is infact cablesurf once again.

Just when you think that he cut the cake with his 5 meg service, he's upped the bandwidth to 9 megs for the price of a few pints and a packet of crisp (40 euro). Anyways, I wouldn't worry about it. It will only be another 5-6 years before 9 megs is the norm nationwide. I'm sure you can all wait.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

That's amazing!
    How are they able to do this?
    And why isn't this being done elsewhere?

Killian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

wow, there's nothing in it for them, seeing as the competition is so so far behind, are they just nice guys, or something ?

"180x faster than dial-up"

/weeps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Hmm, dumb question, but can you only get this in Waterford?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Christ that's just unfair:(, how the hell can that backwater have so much bandwidth?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

maybe they're upping it to 9 megs to stick two fingers to smug Dubliners people who say dungarvan's a 'backwater'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Right, lets get a few people together and get a bucketload of antennes set up running from waterford to rathfarnham, and we can bring the 9meg goodness to dublin via wirelessness.

Other than that, lets go to waterford!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by parasite
    maybe they're upping it to 9 megs to stick two fingers to smug Dubliners people who say dungarvan's a 'backwater'
    :D Ye they now have tons of bandwidth therefore --> dungarvan > Dublin. Or then again maybe not, I find Dublin small and boring dungarvan would be hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Right, lets get a few people together and get a bucketload of antennes set up running from waterford to rathfarnham, and we can bring the 9meg goodness to dublin via wirelessness.
    ##

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

Thats pretty good for Dungarven!
    Is there any govt. dept. moving down there because of de-centralisation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Superman
    Thats pretty good for Dungarven!
    The Minister for e-voting is moving "his" civil servants (Dept of the Environment) to Wexford. I don't know if anything is going to Waterford.

(It boggles the mind that people don't recognize that Government Ministers making decisions to "decentralize" departments to their own constituencies is a textbook case of corruption. But that's another thread).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Balls to Sweden, I'm moving to Waterford!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

unreal - fair play to cablesurf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭gombín

Originally posted by Superman

Ordnance Survey (300 employees, I believe)

Regards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

Originally posted by gombín
    Ordnance Survey (300 employees, I believe)

Regards.

Ah well I know wehat i'm doin when I get my B.A. in Geography!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Further details Here

One is further blessed in Dungarvan in that you can ditch the €ircon Phone Line with its €24 a month rental which means that the marginal cost of the BB itself, per Mbit is €40-€24 = €16 which, when divided by 9 gives you a price of €1.77 per Mbit per month uncapped.

The cheapest €ircon product is the €30 on top of the line rental product with the 4Gb cap which runs at 512k ........thats a marginal cost of €60 per Mbit per month on top of the Line Rental .

So apart for being 18 Times faster than the cheapest DSL it also costs less than 3% of what an Eircom phone line and a minimum DSL package would cost you on a marginal price per Mbit basis once the line rental is excluded.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Muck
    So apart for being 18 Times faster than the cheapest DSL it also costs less than 3% of what an Eircom phone line and a minimum DSL package would cost you
    Wow - you surpass yourself, Muck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Actually that was UTV BB on an €ircon line where €ircon pick up the bulk of the €30 thru their wholesale mechanism, the cheapest €ircon BB is €40 a month .

sorry for dissing UTV there.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

What kind of setup do they have does anyone know?

Are they using 2-way digital cable? How come they can afford to set up 2-way cable when NTL can only afford a few streets in Dublin? What's the upload speed? And most of all how the hell can the afford to give away all this bandwidth?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

b0llocks to that, I'm moving to Japan.

100mbit fibre connection for less than €30 a month pls. you could host half the dsl customers in dublin on your own with bandwidth like that. :D

only another 10 years or so before it's here and we can all burn our 56k modems. :ninja:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by vibe666
    only another 10 years or so before it's here and we can all burn our 56k modems. :ninja:

Add another zero to that 10 and you just might be close.

• Advertisement
Advertisement