Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend me a 125!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

Originally posted by malico
    On my provisional I was on a Honda Super 4. Great machine, great power and so sturdy. I came off it, and drove it home that night (after i was released form hospital!)

I'm not on an RVF 400R (Race Spec).... Ohhh yeah...

yeah, yeah
    keep Paranormal Research alive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Race spec eh......explain?
    Originally posted by malico
    I'm not on an RVF 400R (Race Spec).... Ohhh yeah...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭batman_oh

i have an rvf 400rr
    thats the stock road bike
    explain the race bike?
    also care to race my road spec rs250 on the race spec rvf?:ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I'm on a Bros 400 and love it but it ain't getting any younger so I might go for a super 4 next. What insurance group is it in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭malico

Phil: Same as the Bros AFIK

theRVF was a race biek when I boutgh it. The engine is Dyno'd to 2, K&N filters, EBC Brakes AND lines, Pilot sports both ends, ART Race can and carbon fiber frontend.

So shiny!!

• Advertisement

thats pretty stock!
    mine has an art can, braided lines front and rear, pilot race 2's and they dont have dynojet kits for the rvf. thats a road bike u described with very minor mods
    an rvf race bike is a whole different world
    bugs' rvf is closer to race than that, full tyga race system, lightweight fairings, hrc coolant and brake reservoir
    but thats still far far far from a race bike

Too many ppl seem to think rvf's are "race bred", they're not, they're little 400's, bloody enjoyable, but without 4000 sterling spare for flowed heads, bored carbs, dymag wheels and lightening everything its not a race bike.
    Bloody nice tho......mines nicer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Originally posted by seamus
    Right, went hunting today.

Found two good picks:

A '03 Varadero with 10k miles (not km). Almost mint condition, slight scratch on the seat rail at the back. Clearly never been dropped, and cared for to some good degree. The guy in the shop said it was traded in while he was on holidays (:rolleyes:) by a guy who was buying a car, so that's all he knows. €4,000 - A normal price apparently, the price of a new Varadero has dropped to €5,500 so they've dropped the price of this bike accordingly. Allegedly.

A '00 Shadow with 35 miles (yes 35, not 35k, just 35). Didn't take a proper look at it (the Varadero was stealing the show), but immediate things that struck me was bad rusting on external bolts. Not necessarily a bad thing, but may provide some kind of clue as to the condition of the rest of the bike. Guy in the shop said it was bought and never ridden, obviously. €3,000. Seems to me that it may be deteriorated after so much time unridden.

If my gut wins out (and is usually does) I'll probably take the Varadero off their hands on Saturday (after some bargaining).

Shadows are POO - stay away.... as someone who rides a Harley Davidson, Honda Shadows are short-changing pretenders that want to sell themselves based on the fact they "barely resemble" a Harley. The Varadaros are WAY better value & will serve you better in all respects. I've had a few scoots on them & they're a lot of fun.

Wasn't too gone on the BROS 400's - found them to be way over-rated, but they are fast little mother truckers, I'll give them that.

But for 125's - I'll still maintain the best 125 you can buy is a GN125 by Suzuki - they're great workhorses & are uber reliable & maintainable.

::: SURF? WATER? WHAT? WHAT? WHAT? :::

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'm selling my '99 Virago,, speedometer needs replacing, thus dirt cheap price of €1000 , is in perfect working order apart from that and looks great , ordering a new speedo kit and getting it fitted would be about 300€ (tops) , still not a bad price imho. If you're interested pm me.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

bros is not fast!
    they do what they do well, they are reliable, reasonably torquey down low and are great in traffic
    fast they aint!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Compared to an HD 883 sportster - they are.....

::: DAMN YOU, DAMN THE BROCOLI & DAMN THE BUTTHOLE SURFERS ! :::

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

I recently ploughed my Suzuki Intruder 125 vl into a bmw.
    bike is apparently written off so i have to get a newer bike.

Was quoted €2000 for an 02 Kawasaki Eliminator with 5k on the clock. Only catch is that it was apparently in a crash, even though all the parts are originals and were not changed.
    there are scratches on the fuel tank alright but nothing major.

what ya think?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Doodee
    I recently ploughed my Suzuki Intruder 125 vl into a bmw.
    bike is apparently written off so i have to get a newer bike.

Was quoted €2000 for an 02 Kawasaki Eliminator with 5k on the clock. Only catch is that it was apparently in a crash, even though all the parts are originals and were not changed.
    there are scratches on the fuel tank alright but nothing major.

what ya think?
    Run away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Originally posted by seamus
    Run away!

Definately unless you have documentation proving that the frame and forks have been checked for alignment in a jig or laser aligned.

Mate of mine in the uk crashed his CBR6, had it repaired and everyting, 2 years later it failed the MOT on the wheels not being aligned. Suspecting the garage was pulling a fast one he had it rechecked and sure enough he had been riding a bike where the front and back wheels didnt line up for 2 1/2 years.

Someone broke the steering lock on my ZX6R trying to steal it. Was raging at the time but thought nothing of it. Year later getting my head bearings replaced I discovered the alu lower fork yoke casting had cracked....

The moral of the tale is if anything happens to a bike (especially front end) put it under a microscope. Last thing you want to see before waking up in casualty is the back wheel overtaking ye....

On a seperate note those VFR's mentioned do they have the black box fitted that overrides the 59hp limit on Jap 400's?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Hmmm.

Damnit, it looks like such a nice bike though.

O well, I'm getting someone else to check out my own bike as i doubt that its worth nothing, even as scrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

€2000 on an Eliminator is a good price on a 02 anyway Doodee. If you looked hard enough you could find a 02 or a low mileage 01, not crashed, for that price.

Originally posted by secret_squirrel
    On a seperate note those VFR's mentioned do they have the black box fitted that overrides the 59hp limit on Jap 400's?

Theres no horsepower restriction, the vfr and rvf were built to 54bhp as standard. The only restriction is within the speedo itself, when the bike reaches 180km, it switches off two cylinders. Can be bipassed using a box or opening the speedo and bending the pin contact so when the needle hits 180, it doesnt connect with the pin.
    Or fitting a mph converter so the bike never gets to the 180 mark.

Advertisement