Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNS Server

Options
  • 29-05-2004 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Hi,

This maybe the most rediculous question ever, but i don't know the answer so I'm going to ask it anyway!

I have a domain registered and my own IP address from my ISP. I'm about to set up my own web server at home running Debian ( first time Linux, but what the hell).

My domain currently uses forwarding instead of DNS management which suited me fine, but now I would like to have all requests go straight to my new web server with my IP.

I can setup DNS management with my domain register for $10 a year...not bad...but what I'm wondering is, can I set up my own DNS server on my webserver?

I was reading articles on setting up the Debian web server and they refer to setting up DNS. I don't think it's just pointing to my ISP dns for lookups...or is it?

Anyway, do I have to pay the $10, or can I D.I.Y. it?

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭FreeHost

Bottom line is yes you can yes, you can DIY it. There are a couple of methods; I will assume you do not have your own nameservers.

1. Get your provider to create a zone for your domain and point the ‘A’ Records to your IP address. (but you wouldn't really be managing your DNS)

Or

2. This would be the recommended option for a home server. Create an account with zoneedit.com, change the nameservers of your domain to theirs. Now you can create all the records you want and point them at your own IP address. (the first five domain name are free)

Lastly, If you want all requests to go directly to your server (in the truest sense of the word) you’ll have to create nameservers out of your domain. (ns1.yourdomain.com and ns2.your domain.com) You could set your primary nameserver as your domain and IP address, but you’ll have to get a secondary nameserver somewhere else or get your provider to give to a second IP address. With this option you can manage the DNS records on your own home server.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭byrnenj

I set up zoneedit but i havn't changes the Name Servers yet...just testing it out!

I have mail forwarding with my registrar, where i have lots of different alias's set up! If i change the name servers will this function stop working? Although they do have mail forwarding in zoneedit!

With the free zones/domains you get with zoneedit, can i set up as much records for that as i want. ( i.e. as many email alias's, A records, web forwards etc.)
    If so, then this is a pretty good service for free!

Thanks for your help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭FreeHost

Yes, if you change nameservers, the functions being provided by your current host will stop.

As far as I am aware you can set up as many 'A' and 'MX' Records as you want within any zone, but, you only have 5 zones before they start charging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭byrnenj

That's not too bad. I only have 3 domains registered, of which I only have 1 that's has any need for DNS management!

Thanks for the help! It's been very useful!

-Niall

Advertisement