Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All wrapped up?

Options
  • 30-05-2004 9:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

Has everybody managed to finish all their Leaving Cert courses in time? Just wondering because we barely finished business by the middle of last week, and most people seem to have finished by January/February? Haven't even started to revise for it... There's also a local school that only have 5 questions on each higher maths paper done, which seems a bit stupid, although maths seems to be the subject which alot of schools have trouble finishing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

All courses finished about 3 weeks ago. So, its looking good.

English: Looking at about a B3 (lowest C3)
    Maths: A1 hopefully (Lowest B1)
    Tech Graphics: A1 hopefully (Lowest B1)
    Physics: B3+ if i'm lucky (Lowest C3)
    Irish (Pass): Who cares, D3 is all i need.
    Applied Maths: A2+ (Lowest B3)
    German: C2+ (Lowest C3)
    Geography: C2+ (Lowest C3)
    Music: B3+ (Lowest C3)

If i get the lowest grades i think i'm capable of, i'll get 375 points, which leaves me with 10 spare (based on last years points).

Thats how i think i'm set for the exams. What about everyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

English - B2 (Lowest C2)
    Irish - Pass, A2 (Lowest B2)
    Maths - A2 (Lowest B3)
    French - B1 (Lowest C1)
    Applied Maths - B1 (Lowest C2)
    Business - B2 (Lowest C2)
    Physics - B1 (Lowest C1)
    LCVP - Distinction (?) 70 pts.

That gives me a max of 505 (the median score in 2003 for the course I'm applying for) and a minimum of 425, which would get me my 2nd or maybe 4th choice (my second choice is Financial Maths in UL, which hasn't got any points history, so it's a bit dodgy having it up that high on my list when it could turn out to be a crap course that nobody wants and only need 300 points, meaning I wont get my 4th choice of Commerce and Spanish in NUIG, which sounds interesting. I know I shouldn't be playing the points game, but I'm tempted to move the financial maths down a place or two, just in case...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I reakon I'll get around the 400 mark. I need 405, so here is hoping.

I'm finished all my courses, but I'm having trouble revising French. I don't really have anything concrete to go by.

Most other subjects are fine though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭stuey

I have the worst attiutde to the leavin ever. im lookin for 350points and i got 360 in the mock with no work. so basically im just cruisin through life enjoyin every second

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by stuey
    I have the worst attiutde to the leavin ever. im lookin for 350points and i got 360 in the mock with no work. so basically im just cruisin through life enjoyin every second
    hahaha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭AndrewWK

Ahhh bud jus avin a laff great buzz ya no wot i mean

SHUT UP JUST SHUT UP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

Physics A1 (Lowest A2) I'll be amazed if I get lower, god forbid.
    Chemistry A1 (Lowest B1)
    Biology A2 (Lowest B2) No idea what to expect here
    Maths A1 (Lowest B3) Not sure what to expect either
    Applied Maths B1 (Lowest C3) Doing it at home, :(
    English B3 (Lowest D1) Honestly no idea, B2 in the mocks with no work but the teacher says all my macbeth/poetry/comparative essays are ****.
    Irish, ha
    German, feck

Originally posted by PrecariousNuts
    Physics A1 (Lowest A2) I'll be amazed if I get lower, god forbid.

Have you ever checked out a marking scheme for phsyics? It seems amazingly basic (ie, simplistic - doesn't require any major explanation/detail). Maybe the examiners are a bit more strict with it, but the marking schemes are laughable. Business marking schemes on the other hand, they're a complete nightmare. Short question answers are like 8-10 lines (typed). A bit scary really.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Business isnt THAT bad is it? Because I have a terrible habit of knowing EVERYTHING on the paper, but never writing enough on any of it!

Originally posted by jesjes
    Business isnt THAT bad is it? Because I have a terrible habit of knowing EVERYTHING on the paper, but never writing enough on any of it!

You wouldn't believe how bad it is. They can't possibly expect us to write that much, but it's a bad sign when they issue this as a marking scheme for correctors to compare your script with....

• Advertisement

Originally posted by subway_ie
    Have you ever checked out a marking scheme for phsyics? It seems amazingly basic (ie, simplistic - doesn't require any major explanation/detail). Maybe the examiners are a bit more strict with it, but the marking schemes are laughable. Business marking schemes on the other hand, they're a complete nightmare. Short question answers are like 8-10 lines (typed). A bit scary really.

Yeah Physics/Chemistry :D . I looked at the marking schemes, basicly if you mention the right word - Bang! Full marks and the most you need to do is expand on it slightly.

There were loads in the mocks/past exam papers like "Give and expression that links force and magnetic flux density"

F = ILB, full marks.. or F = qvB, etc

I wonder if they're actually that leniant in correcting though, I know if I was to give an answer like they give in the marking scheme, my teacher would probably kill me with his bare hands, probably after hours of Gold Leaf Electroscope torture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭stuey

I just did that post so andrewWK would get annoyed. he gets annoyed at everything i say

I doubt anyone does write one word answers. You have spent the last two years learning the stuff, I know I'm going to write everything I have ever learned down onto the page. Diffraction grating torture.

I think our Gold Leaf Electroscope torture (but only on a DRY day) beats diffraction grating torture. He was feckin obsessed with it. Not to mention the spectrometer, or even the wheatstone bridge.

AAAAaaaaah. Scary.

And I was hoping that was a subject I'd do really well in!!

Originally posted by jesjes
    AAAAaaaaah. Scary.

And I was hoping that was a subject I'd do really well in!!

Yeah, probably not the best thing to read the week before the exams... Might offer a bit of motivation though? Or just the soul-destroying realisation that you're totally screwed?

Meh, neither.

I've got good knowledge of buisness. It's one of my better subjects.

Now French I'm ****ed for!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

English = 90
    Music = 80
    Classics = 75 (lowest is d3)
    French = 80
    Economics = 65
    History = 80

= 470.

if i get 510 then ill be the person with the highest points ever to get into Mater Dei.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

JUST finished the Biology course on Thursday. I didn't go in though... was hungover. Gonna learn it tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by banquo
    if i get 510 then ill be the person with the highest points ever to get into Mater Dei.

Ha, I read that as Opus Dei and I got a bit worried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Originally posted by stuey

Been there, done that. Got 490 in the mock, only need 365 (385 gives me 20 spare based on last years points) :D i'm SORTED!

Just starting to get the old study groove back on. Leaving cert, HERE I COME!

Ummmm forgive my ignorance, but what's the Matter Dei/Opus Dei?

Mater Dei seems to be some religion college place, while Opus dei is an evil cult religion thing.

Oh, ok. That clears it all up for me. The cult ones are always more fun though. And they get all the good-lookin women too. And they're usually brainwashed, which is always fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭DSMe

my prediction :

History - A1 - B1
    Accountancy - A1 - A2
    Business - A1 - A2
    Maths - B2
    Physics A2 - B1
    English B1
    Geography A2 - B1

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

Maths and Applied - A1 if all goes to plan
    Physics - should bag an A with 4 free days before it
    Economics - A if elasticity comes up/if the micro Qs are easy (macro can **** off), but it's dodgy - what's with the stupid short Q marking by the way with 16s and 17s, not going to make a difference to anyone really but come on who thought that one up
    Business - haven't done any work but it's the most bull****table subject there is, even though the marking scheme is harsh - B1 at least
    French - we were going through the permutations of scraping an A1, and it isn't all that impossible - it all hangs on the listening, which promisingly enough wasn't bad at all last year - B1 at least, I was very happy with the oral
    English - probably somewhere around the Bs, but I haven't a clue where I am in English really
    Irish - hatred for teacher + stupidly boring course = forgetting about it a long time ago - B/C depending on how much work I do in the meantime - make that a C

English B1 - B3
    Irish A1 - B1
    French C1 - D1
    Math A1 - B1 [pass]
    Art B1 - B3
    Buisness B1 - B3

Some of you guys are genius'!!

Lend me some of your brains!

God I can't wait for it to be over. This weekends been hell. The not-working guilt has gone into overdrive, the obsession with exam papers is becoming a tad unhealthy, my eyes have turned an interesting shade of pink, I'm becoming anal about everything exam related, physically impossible to walk through my room without stepping on notes/revision books and I think the fish in my aquarium are starting to taunt me. I'm not looking forward to the large gaps in between exams - THAT will be pure hell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Whywontitwrok

Irish[Pass]- F!! (scrap a sympathy d perhaps ;) )
    English- C1 (C3 worst)
    Maths[Pass]- A1
    French C3 (D3 worst)
    Geography C1 (C3 worst)
    Chemistry C3 (D3 worst)
    Physics D2 (D3 worst)

dunno what that amounts too, Im far too lazy (hence why im on here in the first place!) But I got 350 in the mocks (with only night before study) and I need 300, which shouldnt change, if not even go down :D:D

And even those scores are pessimistic :D

Advertisement