Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ur Irish starting 11 .

• 30-05-2004 10:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭

This is a thread for people to post their preffered Irish starting 11 .

Il start off .

.......................................Given...........................................

Carr.................Dunne/OBrien........Cuningham.........Finann

Miller........................Holland............Keane.............A.Reid...

.................................................................Duff....................

...........................................Keane......................................

u know which Keane is where .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

.......................................Given...........................................

Carr.................Dunne/OBrien........Cuningham.........Finann

Patridge(once he gets his chance he is gona be great/
    S. Reid.....................Miller...............Keane.............A.Reid...

Dufff

......................................Keane......................................

Don't know how well Duff can play there though tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

ya Partridge is quality ive saw a lot of him at coventry .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Given

Carr
    O'Brien
    cunningham----O'Shea

Miller
    Keane
    Holland
    Duff

Keane----Morrison

Im not sure about holland but he does score some goals for ireland.
    Ill have a good think and see :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by PHB
    Don't know how well Duff can play there though tbh
    Every time he's given a free role he gets MOM so that should put that to bed.;)

I'd go with Big Ears' team with Kavanagh in for Holland (Kavanagh > Kilbane > Holland, IMHO) and switch Duff with Reid for a bit of width. Also, seeing Finnan in the last couple of games I'd probably stick with O'Shea at LB. His confidence will be a lot higher after his performance against Poland.

Let's lope one of the youngsters make rapid progress and club level so we can get decent a partner for Keane up front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Carr.................OBrien........ANYONE:p...............O'Shea.......

..............Miller............Keane..................A.Reid...................

.........................................................................Duff............

...................Mc Geady......Keane..................................

I came up with this,

I left cunningham out, everyone has him in the side but I think he looks a bit dodgy to be honest. That complete lack of pace is a serious worry and especially when there is a few games being played back to back.

Miller seems to play his best football in the center of the pitch so thats where he was put.

Its a variation on the 4-3-1-2 but the defence is sound (most of the time) and Keane and Miller look set to dominate midfield who ever we play

Maybe a bit unbalanced but duff does like playing (his best) way out on the left

Up front its either clint or anyone else who is better, maybe mc geady might be decent enough but there is a serious amount of hype in football

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭paddyduff

....................Given.......................
    Carr....O'Brien....Dunne....O'Shea
    McGeady...S.Reid...Keane...A.Reid
    ............................Duff..................
    ..................Keane........................

"McGeady is the most naturally gifted youngster I have ever seen" - Liam Brady. That is the main reason I want to see him in there. How can a comment like that not whet the appetite?

Personally, I think S.Reid could be a great player in the centre of the pitch if given the role at his club. Disappointing season gone by but I think he'll come good after showing much promise before joining Blackburn.

I took Cunningham out so Roy can have the captaincy... *joke*. I think the younger lads are quality players now and have been especially impressed with the reformed Dunne.

For me Miller has a lot to proove still. I have a terrible feeling that United is going to be a bad move for him. I can't see him getting his game regularly. I hope I'm wrong though.

I also hope that Paddy Kenny never has to play in a big international game.

Partridge is a player I'd love to see getting his chance. I'm still gutted that Sadlier had to call it a day.. He would have been a great attacking option.

Hopefully the Nigeria game and other recent games have shown Kerr who can do a job for him and who can't. Out with the dead wood and onwards with a blend of our top drawer experienced players and promising young lads. All in all, the futures bright I feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭hoolio

I'd like to see us try new formations in these friendlies but with such a fragmented squad its impossible to gain much from them.I think
    Given
    Carr-Cunningham-O'Brien-O'Shea
    Keane--Kavanagh
    -Reid
    Keane
    Duff
    Morrison

could have been interesting.
    Given is self explanatory,Cunningham is our best defender,the other 3 places are really up for grabs.Keane/Kavanagh to run about doing what they do best - hacking,tackling and working the midfield,feeding it to one of the 3.Duff/Reid out wide and Robbie spends so much time arsing around outside the box we might as well play him there.Morrison is decent in the air and could hold it up for the other 3 to come in.You could also swap it so Robbie is up front with Reid right behind him and Clinton on the right.

But thats all just dreaming really.Realistically:
    Given
    Carr-Cunningham-O'Brien-O'Shea
    Reid---Keane---Kavanagh---Duff
    Keane-Morrison

No place for Miller or McGeady (i dont believe the hype on either really,neither has shown enough,not yet anyway) and Steven Reid misses out just because he hasn't been playing enough.Partridge would be a great option to have but needs to start getting a game somewhere,he isn't getting any younger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Originally posted by paddyduff

"McGeady is the most naturally gifted youngster I have ever seen" - Liam Brady. That is the main reason I want to see him in there. How can a comment like that not whet the appetite?

For me Miller has a lot to proove still. I have a terrible feeling that United is going to be a bad move for him. I can't see him getting his game regularly. I hope I'm wrong though.

How you could put McGeady in and leave Miller out because he has a lot to prove is a bit hypocritical do you not think?

Given

Carr O'Brien Cunningham O'Shea

A. Reid Miller Keane Duff

Keane Morrison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Given
    O'Shea
    Cunningham
    O'Brien
    Harte
    Keane
    Miller
    A Reid
    Duff

Keane
    McGeady

Duff would'nt be strictly at the sip of the diamond, but would have freedom to roam. I was at the match against Romania, and what you don't pick up on the TV is the work-rate of some of the players. For instance Matt Holland (aside from his goal) was brilliant. The amount of tracking, and tackles he put in, was amazing. So I'm being a bit harsh leaving him out.

Putting in Harte I know is dodgy, but he's so good from set pieces and is a good footballer in general. Shame he's a bit slow :/

McGeady hasn't proven himself at all, but Morrison is ****. So ANYONE must be better then clin-TONNN

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Given
    Carr
    Cunningham
    O'Brien
    O'Shea
    Keane
    Miller
    A Reid
    Duff

Keane
    McGeady

I agree with kamobe. Clinton is nowhere near international standard, he's 1st division quality at best. His finishing is terrible and his anticipation is even worse.
    Do not play him. Give McGeady a chance, as many a manager has said "If your young enough, your good enough". ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Originally posted by Space Coyote
    "If your young enough, your good enough". ;)

Haha, a paedophiles words maybe.

"If youre good enough, youre old enough"

....O'Brien....Dunne....
    We'd be demolished with that centre half pairing.

kamobe - At this stage we have better set piece takers than Harte.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭paddyduff

Originally posted by Jivin Turkey
    How you could put McGeady in and leave Miller out because he has a lot to prove is a bit hypocritical do you not think?

No I don't think I'm being hyprocritical.. I put McGeady on the right. For that position someone unproven can have a go for all I care because it's an area that could do with strengthening. (I see Miller as a centre mid.) They're completely different players so I just think including McGeady there over Miller gives a better shape to the midfield.

Actually, The team I put up was me just thinking ahead a bit... I doubt I would pick that team if they had an important game tomorrow. Funnily enough, I would probably be inclined to include Miller if playing the game tomorrow.
    Originally posted by eirebhoy
    We'd be demolished with that centre half pairing.

Have to disagree. Does Kenny Cunningham make the difference between being solid and being demolished? Kenny was a bit lost at sea a few times against Romania and by all accounts, he didn't play particularly well against Nigeria either! (Although I can understand being rubbish against Nigeria was down to tiredness.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Given

Carr
    O`brien
    Cunningham
    O`shea----

Miller
    Holland
    Keane
    Duff

Morrisson
    Keane

although also worth experimenting with is

Given

--Carr
    O`Shea
    O`Brien
    Finnan

Miller
    Keane
    A.Reid

Duff

Keane
    Elliot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

Given

Carr
    O'Brian
    Cunningham
    O'Shea

Miller
    Keane
    Reid
    Duff

Keane
    Morrison

This is the team i would like to see for the start of the World Cup Quilifiers in September. O'brian has been playing well for newcastle and for Ireland in a few friendlys and i belive he deserves his chance. Kenny is the captain and he will show leadership at the back.

I think Miller did well on the right and i would keep him there for a while until Keane retires and move him into the middle. I think Andy Reid could work reall well with Keano in the middle of the park. Reid has to start in the world cup quilifiers cause he has great vision and he passing is very good.

We really dont have anyone to partner Keane at the moment so i went with Morrison. he needs to starting scoring for Birmingham and Ireland. McGready isnt ready yet and he hasnt played that many matches for Celtic but could be a great supper-sub.

This the other team i would like to see:

Given

----Carr
    O'Brian
    Cunningham
    O'Shea

----Miller
    Keane
    Holland
    Reid

Keane
    Duff

I know Duff would be out of position but we dont have any good strikers to partner Keane and Duffer worked well with Keane in the World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I'd leave Andy Reid on the bench if Duff is fit. Great sub to have though.
    Miller looks good enough to me to be a certain starter.
    Until McGeady gets established for Celtic I wouldnt even think about him.
    I'd leave Clinton on the bench. Good sub to inject a bit of pace and confusion.
    Steven Reid was useless everytime I saw him last season for blackburn and especially for Ireland. Pity. I thought he was going to be great.
    McAteer has been very good any time I've seen him for Sunderland. Though Chris Kamara incessantly raving about him doesnt help his cause:D

Given

Carr
    Cunningham
    O'Brien
    O'Shea

McAteer
    Keane
    Kavanagh

Miller
    Duff
    Keane

A very fluid formation, with Duff and Miller in particular being given licence to roam.

Does Kenny Cunningham make the difference between being solid and being demolished?
    To be perfectly honest, yes. Irish fans have short memories, he has a couple of bad games and suddenly he's gone. A defensive pairing without experience is useless. Cunningham does all the organising at the back, etc. O'Brien and Dunne are average at best when either of them are the main man in the bak two. Look at Newcastle without Woodgate or even Sunderland without Breen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Given

Carr
    O Brien
    R Keane
    O Shea

S Finnian
    Miller
    A Reid
    Duff

Keane
    Mc Geady

By The time the finals are played this could be our best team. My midfield may appear a bit light but I am reluctantly moving Roy Keane into defence because of his age in the belief that Miller is being groomed as his replacement at UTD. There are a couple of young players tha could be challenging for places partridge and Mc Shane being two of the most promising .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

..............................Given.................................

...........Carr...........Cunningham............O'Shea

............................Keane...............................

...........A. Reid..........Millar.........S. Reid

.............................Duff..................................

................Keane............Morrisson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    To be perfectly honest, yes. Irish fans have short memories, he has a couple of bad games and suddenly he's gone. A defensive pairing without experience is useless. Cunningham does all the organising at the back, etc. O'Brien and Dunne are average at best when either of them are the main man in the bak two. Look at Newcastle without Woodgate or even Sunderland without Breen.

Cunningham has played a long hard season and considering his age I'm not surprised he looked weary.

That said, he's had an outstanding season for Birminham, right up to the end, including an Arsenal match where he kept Henry in his pocket (and a clean sheet).

I'd say after the summers rest he'll be back to his old self and the partnership of O'Brien looks solid as O'Brian's pace makes up for Cunninghams shortcomings in that area.

My Team (players that I have seen and can judge):

Given
    Carr, O'Brien, Cunningham, O'Shea
    Miller, Keane, Reid, Duff
    Keane, Morrssion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Having looked at the formations so far there are a couple of interesting ones . I dont understand why so many people want OShea at left back , he's never played well for Ireland . Syke is exactly right when talking about Cunningham . Morrison in my mind isnt good enough .
    Mceady will be a great talent , but theres a huge amount of people who have him (an uncapped player ) in their line up .
    Steven Reid i dont think is good enough .

Finally Morrison/Connoly/Lee/Doherty dont gell with Robbie Keane .

Originally posted by Iago
    ...........Carr...........Cunningham............O'Shea
    I don't think I've ever seen a team with one centre half in the starting lineup. Even if you count O'Shea as a centre half it just wouldn't work.

Advertisement