Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soccer some feedback and suggestion

Options
  • 30-05-2004 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭

First off I appreciate that the Admins Mods and most users are tired of this subject so I,m sorry for raising it again but now that my exclusion from the soccer forum has been lifted I have some feed back and suggestions for consideration. I didn,t want to post these while I was excluded as I wanted people to see them for what they are , a genuine attempt to be constructive and to help.

First the feedback, I welcome the changes to the soccer forum that have put an end to the "My team is better than yours" threads. These had taken over the old forum and any true soccer supporter has to welcome the ability to post opinions in the new forum safe in the knowledge that they will not degenerate into that crap.

I believe that improvement is due to the inability of trolls and users with second accounts gaining access just for the purpose of trolling and flambaiting and I also welcome the fact that established users are being more pro active by challenging apparent flamebaits as soon as they appear and diffusing the situation before it
    takes off which didn't really happen before. The forum since it reopened is a huge improvement on what it was and I congratualate the Admins and Moderators on the changes that they have made to bring this about.

Now for the suggestion. There is no doubt that the restricted access is the main reason for the improvement in the quality of thread in the forum but while it is highly successful at keeping the trolls out unfortunately it has a side effect which also keeps genuine new users out as well. If a mechanism could be found to facilitate
    new users in gaining access while keeping the trolls out we would have the ideal solution.

My suggestion for this if possible would be a subforum in soccer say "soccer newbies" which would be viewable by existing soccer members but accessable to those without access or maybe just those who have requested access to the main soccer forum to post in. This would facilitate new uses to post about soccer and would also help existing soccer members make a decision to sponsor someone when acccess requests to the main forum are made.

As it stands at the moment sponsoring people is a gamble and my proposed system would at least give us some information to go by when considering these requests. Some thought would have to be given as to who would be able to view this subforum, My thinking is it should just be logged in members only. It would also help put and end to the threads we have seen here lately like the D4 one, users could be judged on their contribution instead of their possible identity.

I appreciate that this may be considered in effect as creating a second soccer forum with all the hassle and extra work this can bring and so may not be the ideal solution but I honestly feel something should be done for the genuine members who want access to soccer and can not get it because of the current restrictions. Thats
    just my thinking on it and I,m sure it can be improved upon or maybe someone else can come up with a better solution that would help the genuine users who want access to soccer and are finding it difficult to get sponsors in the current system.

The Muppet
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Im glad the admins had some sense i leaving you prove your worth muppet

Your suggestions seem good to me but i dont think the mods will want more work tbh and one thing that i have noticed lately that things are a but on the flat side there, wuth everyone being a bit too PC, anyway thats my opinion but it is better than before for sure.

One a side note where is the access request forum gone! Seems to be missing from the soccer board

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

obviously I'm not speaking on behalf of the admins or mods etc, but from what I gather they are trying to avoid splitting up the soccer forum even more (one of the reasons for not agreeing to an Irish Soccer forum). I think making a noob soccer forum would kinda defeat the purpose of the sponsorship scheme. I know you say it should be only open to people making requests etc, but anyone can do that, and then they can act the idiot in there. They might be banned, but they can get another nick, and do the same again... just like before.

As for gambling with sponsorship etc, the idea is you only support people you know and can trust, if you decide to sponsor someone you dont know, thats at your own risk. If your not willing to take the chance of being banned, then dont. If you're someone who wants access but havent gotten anyone who will support you, you'll just have to wait afew weeks, and prove yourself as a decent guy/gal elsewhere. If you use afew other forums for afew weeks and havent acted up your bound to come across someone who will support you.
    Its not an ideal situation, i know, but sadly its how it has to be, and as you know its worked well so far.
    The muppets in soccer ruined any chance of the forum being open like somewhere like AH or TV, and this is the best way to deal with that.

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by jank

Your suggestions seem good to me but i dont think the mods will want more work tbh

Hi Jank
    I,m would hope given a bit of thought that it could be worked in such a way that it would not necessarily mean that much more work for the mods and IMO the result would be well worth it.

and one thing that i have noticed lately that things are a but on the flat side there, wuth everyone being a bit too PC, anyway thats my opinion but it is better than before for sure.

I have seen a couple of people say that both on the board and in PM and I dont really agree with them. Maybe its a little bit too pc at the moment but most soccer fans would rather than than the flame fest it was before it closed .

One a side note where is the access request forum gone! Seems to be missing from the soccer board

Its still there for me.

The Muppet

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Having to post in a "babies" area to prove you are worth being allowed into the Big Boys gang is more humiliating then hanging around or posting on other boards. I certainly wouldnt do it.
    I prefer things the way they are... mostly I get some peace now.

DeV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Its still there for me
    lol not only im banned from soccer im also banned from even viewing the access request board:eek: and i have no idea why
    could have told me too :p

anyway hope you do the rest of us "dammed souls" proud ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Some sort of league table where good posters get relegated to the higher board of soccer postage and crap posters get demoted to the baby ball board - and can only post once a day etc etc.

That'd be teh kyewl.

Then we could do a littlewoods type pools etc. "Who will be kicked to the kiddies forum this week??"

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

sorry for the "lol" post but um...

lol!

DeV.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Don't write that off with a lol, if we have a championship manager plugin or some sort of fantasy football like thing going on it could be the biggest rage to hit boards in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

actually that'd be class...do a league table of good/bad posters and make it so once every month or so the worst poster gets relegated (read banned) for a week :) it'd be funny :D

Now yez are talking, as soon as flogen disagreed with it I Knew I was on to a winner.:D

I still think its a good Idea, its not ideal but the again neither is the current situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Big Ears

me likes Gordons idea :) . Maybe there could be a small prize for the winner at the end of the season .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Nice one Muppet !!! :D and I thought I could crawl !!!

*/Wipes s**** of the frogs nose !!

I like the idea but would you see it extending to currently banned users to try to get back credibilty or prove themselves to be reformed responsible posters ?

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Oh, post wisely Zener and you could have a hundred times the credibility you have now.

Oh lighten up septre and realise people have different senses of humor !
    My question is valid if you're a banned user with no way of proving reformation, I think jank would agree with me here, even The Muppet realised this and changed before being allowed back in to soccer.

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by ZENER
    Oh lighten up septre and realise people have different senses of humor !
    Missed the "different" humour in my post then:D

Sorry sceptre

*/ sound of penny dropping /*

ZEN

Nice one Muppet !!! :D and I thought I could crawl !!!

*/Wipes s**** of the frogs nose !!

Maybe I should go and buy the guys beer eh! Now that would be really Brown Nosing. :D

I like the idea but would you see it extending to currently banned users to try to get back credibilty or prove themselves to be reformed responsible posters ?

Up until this post I did but some people just dont know when to STFU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭red-not-blue

obviously I'm not speaking on behalf of the admins or mods etc, but from what I gather they are trying to avoid splitting up the soccer forum even more (one of the reasons for not agreeing to an Irish Soccer forum).

I agree flogen, it seems that the admins have to spend alot of time keeping things going here. I think if people were civil in the first place then a nooby forum is not needed and this trouble would never have happened.

Devore himself admitted that life is now easier for hm since the change, I say fair play to him. We all want an easy life.

By the way The Muppet good to see you back after your ban hope to talk footbal soon on the forum.

RNB

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I think a table would be a good idea....but I dont count as I am banned for a week.

I think a table would be a good idea..

T'would be like being back at school again where we get to choose a team !!! sir sir sir can I be Man United sir ?? ah please sir.

Jesting aside and taking that idea on to the next level maybe the soccer forum posters could have a poll containing maybe 3 or 4 "newbies" and they vote on who the consider suitable for entry to the forum. Of course seasoned boarders should still be able to request access the current way.
    Maybe I should go and buy the guys beer eh!

I thought you were allergic to Real Life [tm] :D

ZEN

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Originally posted by Dub13
    I think a table would be a good idea....but I dont count as I am banned for a week.

In case you missed it: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=1664685#post1664685

talla PM me and said it was for a week...so I am happy with that.I have to be a good boy when I get back in.

talla PM me and said it was for a week...

You'd do well to remember that talla has probably stuck his neck out for you to get the ban reduced.

ZEN

I will remember that and I will not post any more funny posts (well I thought they were funny).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Apple_A_Day

It is a pity that such a drastic move had to be made on what appears to be a very popular thread on boards.ie.

I can only assume that there was severe "acting the bollox" for the mods to restrict it like that.

I'm a Manchester United fan for my sins and was interested in posting there only to find I can't without sponsors. It's unfair to expect a stranger to vouch for me and risk their own position, so this idea seems to be an acceptable interim method of judging posters before seeking sponsorship.

Good idea The Muppet. I'm not overly familiar with how things work here but does "no life" mean you can be a moderator ?

Have an Apple !!

Advertisement