Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNS Servers update

• 30-05-2004 12:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I'm curious on how long will it take for the ISP to update their DNS servers. Do they automatically update the servers every day?

I am Netsource and since I've update my domain, it took more than 36 hours to see Netsource updates their primary DNS.

It seems to be longer than getting domain propagation complete. Now mydomain.com is pointed correctly but the alias www.mydomain.com is still pointed to my old hosting provider.

Answers anyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

Your right certain Irish providers can take some time, esat use to take yonks when I used them. I am on IBB at the moment and I see site changes after about 20 hours.

Might be worth a call to the guys in netsource maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

What's the ttl on your domain? If you have it set to 36 hours, then that's your/your host's fault, not your ISPs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

Originally posted by ssh
    What's the ttl on your domain? If you have it set to 36 hours, then that's your/your host's fault, not your ISPs.

Transfers can take in between 24 to 72 hours for a domain to see a new set of name servers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by ssh
    I think he's asking about how often Netsource update their authoritative name servers, he'd have no control over that and the TTL would be irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Frank Grimes
    I think he's asking about how often Netsource update their authoritative name servers, he'd have no control over that and the TTL would be irrelevant.
    netsource only have authorative name servers for domains they host.

An ISPs DNS servers don't have DNS records for every domain in the world - they just know who to ask for the current DNS record. When they do a DNS lookup, that DNS record includes information about how long it can be cached (this is usually between 1 and 7 days). If you're going to be moving a server, you should shorten that time (to between 15 minutes and an hour) before you move the server, so that when you eventually move it, nobody, anywhere in the world, has a DNS record that's going to be stale for long. So if you're current TTL is 7 days, then you need to shorten it more than 7 days before you plan to move the server. And the TTL is defined on the DNS server that's authoritaive for the domain name - not on your ISPs DNS server.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

my experience with US based providers is 24-48 hours to change DNS

Originally posted by Ripwave
    netsource only have authorative name servers for domains they host.
    Yeah I know. I'm going under the assumption that his domain is hosted by Netsource.

Yeah I know. I'm going under the assumption that his domain is hosted by Netsource.
    he said that www.domain.com is still pointing at his old hosting provider - that's indicative of a long TTL that's been cached, and it's not Netsources fault.

he said that www.domain.com is still pointing at his old hosting provider - that's indicative of a long TTL that's been cached, and it's not Netsources fault.
    They could be pointing the A record to another providers hosting server, Netsource could have been authoritative all along. That's how I read it at least.
    The fact that mydomain.com is pointing correcting and WWW isn't would indicate that what I'm saying is probably the case.
    I'm only making assumptions though, without the actual domain we're all just guessing anyway.

The fact that mydomain.com is pointing correcting and WWW isn't would indicate that what I'm saying is probably the case.
    Nope, that just suggests that domain.com was never defined in the first place, and therefore wasn't cached.

• Advertisement

Nope, that just suggests that domain.com was never defined in the first place, and therefore wasn't cached.
    But if he's talking about how often they update their authoritative servers it's irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Originally posted by mart_max
    Hi all

I'm curious on how long will it take for the ISP to update their DNS servers. Do they automatically update the servers every day?

I am Netsource and since I've update my domain, it took more than 36 hours to see Netsource updates their primary DNS.

It seems to be longer than getting domain propagation complete. Now mydomain.com is pointed correctly but the alias www.mydomain.com is still pointed to my old hosting provider.

Answers anyone?

How come you didn't post the domain name and we could have easily checked it out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Sorted out. Finally my domain alias got the right pointing after 72 hrs. Previous hosting service had their nameserver TTL 150. New ones have TTL 52. Not sure how good is this but thanks guys for the replies.

Advertisement