Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless bridging options

• 30-05-2004 4:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭

Seeing as though I am going to be getting DSL in the next 2 - 3 weeks I am looking at bridging my connection between the two networks in my house through a wireless bridge. At the moment I have a Dlink switch and Netgear access point/router. Across a wired network upstairs and a wireless network rest of the house.

At the moment its looking like the dsl modem will be put downstairs so im looking at the option of installing a wireless bridge between the upstairs and downstairs. I will place the dsl modem and wireless accesspoint/router downstairs then the bridge and switch upstairs.

At the moment im stuck between the following. Going for the Netgear WGE101 bridge or the WG602 and run it in bridge mode.

Would going for the WG602 Access point and having it set to bridge mode extend my wireless network further and provide better capabilities then going for the normal WGE101 bridge?

There is about €20 differance in ITDirect.ie between the two prices so im not sure weather it would be worth the extra money to go for the access poitn and run it in bridge mode?

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

I'd go for the bridge - if you get the AP, you're just paying for functionality that you won't be using.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Would the Access Point boost the range of the network though? I would be tempted to spend the extra and go for the access point over the bridge if it would extend the network. Also the access point would give greater flexability would it not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

I suppose it depends on your future plans. To achieve what you have described in your original post, the bridge is the most economical option. Unless you have a huge house and/or very thick walls, your existing access point should already be providing the necessary range. The access point and bridge, once installed, will be in fixed positions relative to each other, so the required range for that connection is not going to change.

Then again, as you noted, €20 is not that much, and it will allow you more flexibility for future rearrangement. If you want to do it properly, you should get hold of APs that support WDS - the Wireless Distribution System. This is the preferred standard for bridging two access points. However, that will depend on whether your existing one does WDS, as I imagine you don't want to replace it.

Advertisement