Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6x Magnification enough for bridges?

Options
  • 30-05-2004 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Going to mess around with the L1 bridges of my Athlon (Palmino core) 2100+ and I'm looking to buy a cheap magnifier to help me out with this.

Will a 6x Linen Tester Magnifier (Maplins code A82AW ) be sufficient or can anyone else suggest a better one to use.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

ya man it would be, have one myself and its great for that sort of stuff, or burning ants.
    A bit overpriced in maplin tho: )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

You might think about saving that money, adding a few bob to it and getting a second hand TBred? Xp1800's are nice overclockers (depends alot on the stepping as to how nice).........

Messing with bridges for what will prob be a small overclock ........ palli's just run too hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

I had a couple of pali's and they wouldn't overclock much at all Loki is right you would be better off buying an ould Tbred . What overclock are you getting at the minute with your chip?

If you are going to do it tho 6x should be enough as it is possible to do it without a magnifer but the magnifier just helps you see it better.
    Which method are you going for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by ARGINITE
    or burning ants.

You shouldn't really do that anymore when you're over 12 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by BabyEater
    I had a couple of pali's and they wouldn't overclock much at all Loki is right you would be better off buying an ould Tbred
    Well it depends on the MB you were running the chip on, if the board was unlocked then the CPU would never have reached it's full potential as the PCI bus would have stopped you from a full OC - it's what happened to my PC, my HDD stops me in my tracks when I'm trying to OC:(.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭electrofelix

Have been able to get an extra 140-150Mhz out of it before but I suffered problems due the PCI bus being generated from the main system bus. It didn't appear to be a heat problem which was the limiting factor but since I couldn't reduce the multiplier going to 166MHz was too high for the CPU.

So now I'm going to use the wire trick to deal with the L3 bridges which will allow multipliers under 12.5x and closing the L1 bridges which will allow me to control the multipier via the BIOS.

I'm hoping that I should be able to push the FSB to reach 166MHz by droping the multiplier at the same time. Also have a graphics GPU heatsink&fan which I plan to use to replace the current passive cooling on my northbridge.

Besides, if it alls goes pear shaped, buying a new T'Bred or Barton isn't all that expensive these days so I won't feel the bite too badly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

I didn't improve me overclocks on me pali by going to an NForce 2 so it was the chip and not the board that was holding me back.

Its worth a shot to see how much you get out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

2x-4x mag would be fine.
    Any more and it might feel a bit wierd.

Advertisement