Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of Body Experiences (OBE's)

Options
  • 30-05-2004 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭

Hope there isn't another thread like this here..
    About two years ago i was feeling kinda crappy, nothing unusual
    went to sleep and woke up about three o clock. Got out of the bed to go to the jacks, switched on my room light, opened my door and walked the two steps to the bathroom lightswitch outside the jacks. I went to switch it on but to my unforseen horror i couldnt, I cant explain it, my finger didnt go through it or anything. There was no force left inside me. Suddenly, i felt something take control of me as i tried to grasp the nearest thing to me to stop being forcefully taken away. Again, there was nothing i could do. I was dragged into my room with the most disgusting awkward feeling i have ever experienced, i seen myself, lying facing the left, i thought i was dead for that brief two seconds. It's quite disturbing seeing yourself. When i entered my body this feeling of nausea peaked, beyond description. I woke straight away, the light in my room was on, the door ajar only a few inches. No one else was there that night and i have never sleepwalked before. Anyone else have the same experience?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭keu

that made me almost ill reading it. I had an almost OBE , I woke myself up during it, was most horrifying experience and left me paralysed for about ten minutes. yuck. not a nice feeling having no control over your body. out of curiosity, after you got back to your body, did you experience really intense waves pulling over you? (hard to describe, but I thought my eardrums would explode with the pressure and yeah that feeling made me want to vomit) Really interested to hear more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

I have a very scary selective memory. I dont sleep much. I cant remember much about that night after the incident. Last week before i went asleep at seven in the morning i felt like i was being pumped full of radiation, "Scanned" from head to toe, only once. It felt strangely right. As if i knew i could sleep afterwards. Whats your interpretation of this feeling and its relation to OBE's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭minority

I nearly jumped out of my skin this morning when the alarm clock went off if that counts :)

Have you no good looking neighbours, just to make the whole OBE thing a bit easier to handle lol

Last week before i went asleep at seven in the morning i felt like i was being pumped full of radiation, "Scanned" from head to toe, only once.
    I remember describing it at the time like the the way the stargate transporter device comes down from the ship :)
    wave after wave, from head to toe, it was very very intense at first and was accompanied by a mad frequency of some sort, hurt my ears the pressure was so loud, which made me feel ill. I couldn't open my eyes, was like they were glued shut, but it was like I could see through my eyelids, couldn't move any part of my body and I was really really trying to (trying to shout for it to stop at the same time, but nothing comming out) Scary stuff. I stopped fighting it and slowly(after about ten minutes) I got movement back, but I was exhausted after it (and really pissed off).
    After that it would happen just by thinking about it, like when I was meditating..don't know if you meditate, but I used to visualise colours washing over me..and it started to do it when I was visualising all the colours, they would wash over like those waves.

What do I think of it?
    Think its all down to electro-magnetics of some sort. (human field of energy/soul/spirit).
    I'm suprised your asking me for an interpretation, because I think it becomes very apparant when your there. ;)

Someone brought up the subject of electromagnetics in a different post
    Certain electro-magnetic devices have the ability to tap into higher-dimensional energies.

Personally..I think there is so much radiation in the atmosphere nowdays, electrical equipment, comuters, telecomunications masts..maybe its affecting the human electro-magnetic field and producing these effects?? acting like some sort of amplifier>?

and yea...I love when it happens now, before I fall asleep. Its much softer and I know I'm going somewhere nice for the night :)

I'd love to have another OBE, be able to control it etc.. I hear its very dangerous if you cant decipher the way back. Literally losing all hope. Could meditation help? I've never done it before. Any DIY meditation pages on the net?

• Advertisement

Think there are a couple of posters here who practise hathga?yoga, maybe they can advise.
    There is a place I used to go where you can particpate online, will pm you if thats ok.

Yeah thats cool. Thanks man.

Woman :)

will be in touch

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Nick that is a really horrible experience. I truely believe you. That was definately an OBE. I've researched this phenomenon for years and what you explain fits the picture. I know people who have had it happen to them. You are not alone in the frightening OBE you've had. There are plenty more cases over at www.oberf.org like yours, where people have literally been thrown across the room by malevolant people (spirits, entities whatever you want to call them).

Let me explain what I've gathered from fellow researchers in the states and my own research (this might sound crazy but there are millions of people like you who experience these OBEs and many agree on this general overview of what is happening).

First lets get the term OBE straight: an Out Of Body experience is when the consciousness of a person (his/her soul if you will) detaches itself from the physical body.

The place you where in for a short time is what some people call the quantum plane, similar to our own physical plane (where we are now). Except this plane is where some people go when they die to adjust to life as a free consciousness (or soul or whatever), before moving on to higher planes of existence. We simply cannot see this plane because it is on a higher vibrational level (less dense) than here. (a theoretical physics theory known as superstrings has predicted that there may be up to something like 10/11 of these planes on a particle vibration/spin level, this could be directly related i think).

However some people who are in the quantum plane do not move "up the ladder" as it were to other planes because they are usually either terribly confused or simply do not believe in an afterlife/God. The person who grabbed you was one of these I believe. He/she is not necessarily evil mind you, simply confused or angry because they do not know where they are or what's happening. So they take upon others on that plane like bullies.

The usual signal people get if they are about to have an OBE is usually a very loud buzzing or humming sound in the ears (its so intense that they feel their head will explode) and/or a feeling of being paralysed. This seems similar to what you felt, remote viewer.

However nobody can take your free will away from you and some people who have been attacked in OBEs have made their agressors go away by simply asserting themselves saying something along the lines of "You cannot hurt me, ever. Go away and leave me alone." Also it seems fear attracts a bad OBE, like yours. Try to think positively, if you ever have one again.

There are many sites and discussion groups on the net which go into OBEs in much more detail, have a look on google. Meanwhile try these for starters:

www.oberf.org - read other people's experiences

http://www.worlditc.org/f_01_roadmap_spirit_worlds.htm

At least you know you've just seen proof of an afterlife, Nick. Although I'm not sure wether you believe what you saw or not?

Best Regards anyway,

Elessar.

We simply cannot see this plane because it is on a higher vibrational level (less dense) than here. (a theoretical physics theory known as superstrings has predicted that there may be up to something like 10/11 of these planes on a particle vibration/spin level, this could be directly related i think).
    so very glad to see someone talking sense

btw..elessar, nick works in charleville castle which is where the paranormal investigation is taking place, first thought that jumped into my head is the connections with that place. any thoughts?
    (the reason I say this is because I experienced all that stuff after moving into a house with a life of its own too)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭tonky

Hi. I've done a bit of work on OBE, but have not managed it yet. Overcoming the fear is the main obstacle, esp the vibrations, "boat" effect and dual-location issues. Interesting stuff.
    The reward would be (i guess) personal proof of concious existence outside the body. Well worth trying for imho.
    Anyone tried those "Hemi-Sync" audio items supposed to alter conciousness by producing a low frequency beat in your head?

I dont believe in god.. to think that people would try and rid anyone who made it onto that plane without asking for help or concluding that there is a possibility that they could get outside help from us is illogical to me. Which leads me to believe that there is a purpose in being dragged back in. Seeing what you are not supposed to see, life in the afterlife. If we are on the same plane during an OBE, then why only sometimes are these forces visible and sometimes not? The strange thing was, it all felt normal until i went for that light. I seen nothing before that.

Most mornings i feel this tingling sensation. Are we all doing this and forgetting it? Has anyone analysed the brain patterns of a person who frequently gets OBE's, during or after?

Edit- Only started going up to the castle last year.

Only started going up to the castle last year
    did the experience happen before that?
    to think that people would try and rid anyone who made it onto that plane without asking for help or concluding that there is a possibility that they could get outside help from us is illogical to me.
    From experience..those within that plane just don't realise any differently, its just a state of consciousness, which you describe very clearly here...
    The strange thing was, it all felt normal until i went for that light. I seen nothing before that

I've met lots of "spirits" who think the same way. (and i'm a bit nervous about talking about the rest of this stuff here.. tbh)

but I hope that makes sense.

Originally posted by remote viewer
    did the experience happen before that?
    Yes, about a year or so.

have you seen anything up there?

7 or 8 in the morning, Im in "Connies room" and im just asleep. I hear footsteps from the bottom of the bed over to the window( running), the windows open and the footsteps go back to where they came from.

Another night aroun midnight, something ran down the stairs, came through the hall and started bangin on my door, again they ran back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

ive talked about this on another thread, but others and myself included thought i had an outer body experience. You see when i was two years old i broke my leg, which is obviously a very traumatic experience, when i think back to the event I always see it unfold in 3rd person, which led me to believe it was an outer body experience, thinking about it feels almost cinematic. I thought i should share this experience with you guys here.

ps i love this forum

yeah..I think kids aren't as limited as adults and can "see".."particpate" more easily in things of this nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

must be the shock to the system aswell fuking with your head

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Hi remote viewer,

Yes I think being in a haunted house or being near a place with paranormal activities can trigger events like OBEs. I've read reports of many people who have had NDEs (Near Death Experiences - similar to OBEs but where the person is clinically dead and uaually takes a direct trip to the astral plane) who returned to their bodies only to find out they now have psychic abilities.

You said your experiences happened when you moved to a place which was haunted?

• Advertisement

You said your experiences happened when you moved to a place which was haunted?
    I moved in here the week after my father passed coincidently, so I think it was a combination of a new awareness..so to speak... and living here. Was like I didn't have much choice in the matter lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭MeatProduct

Tonky, I have tried those Hemi-Sync tapes. They are produced by the Monroe Institute which was started by the late Robert Monroe whose first book I just happen to be reading now. In this book he gives practical exercises (chapters 16/17) on how to have an OOBE (Out Of Body Experience).

A friend and myself have been experimenting with intrainment music that enduce travel to the astral or lower 5th dimension. This is where people go during an OOBE as Elessar already said.

There is an online course available on astral travel on www.mysticweb.org. It's a 9 week course that is currently starting the 2nd week. It covers concentration and relexation in the first 2 weeks.

For this particular type of travel I would recommend Raja Yoga although it is easier to start with Hatha Yoga.

Nick

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

It's called Astral Projection. People can control it. It happens to others without their control. If it happens to you often enough then I'd recommend looking it up on google or something and learning the basics of being able to protect yourself. When you leave yourself, your body is unprotected.

It's happened to me once or twice. But I've never been afraid. Just....kinda....floaty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

i've always suffered from these intense,sinister moments when im half awake/asleep, i dont know whether they are be OBE's, but i do fell like im awake when they happen. it usually consists of me being vaguely conscious but not being able to fully awake because i feel like my body is made out of lead or that im being restrained, and i can usually feel a really horrible ''presence'' or something near me, that never quite gets a hold of me but really scares the shyte out of me.everything is really dark and grainy like the white noise on the dead television channels. its really hard to describe..its like there is a huge pressure in my head and i feel like someone is breathing on me.....dont know where im going with this but it has always bothered me since i was 11 or 12. im the kind of person that finds it hard to sleep and i try not to sleep during the day(when im tired and want to doze etc) as i sometimes get sleep paralysis..my mum used to get it a lot when she was a teenager....i keep telling myself its only dreaming but it just feels way too ''intense'' to be dreaming.....its freaky....

hi munkeehaven

I spose it depends on what you want to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Only once (that I know of) did I get sleep-paralysis. I have a terrible memory unfortunately, and I've only a very very hazy memory of it - but what I do remember I was absolutely terrified. I panicked so much that I felt like I couldn't breath (yet I was) and because I believed I couldnt, sure enough - I stopped.

I eventually got control of it though, but it was horrible as I'd never felt anything like it before. Looking back, I wish that I could have had more control over my fear - but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Would OBE's be at all related to "waking up" in your dreams and realising it's a dream (and so you can control it)? I've had a few where I guessed it was a dream and could alter events, such as traffic lights changing, changing seasons - that kind of thing. But only once have I ever completely realised "hey, this is a dream ... MY DREAM!"
    I thought that I could prove it to myself my changing something into something else - and instead of changing a nearby tree into a beautiful woman, I changed my left hand into a machete. I gave myself such a fright that I woke up, and it's never happened since :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Originally posted by munkeehaven
    i've always suffered from these intense,sinister moments when im half awake/asleep, i dont know whether they are be OBE's, but i do fell like im awake when they happen. it usually consists of me being vaguely conscious but not being able to fully awake because i feel like my body is made out of lead or that im being restrained, and i can usually feel a really horrible ''presence'' or something near me, that never quite gets a hold of me but really scares the shyte out of me.everything is really dark and grainy like the white noise on the dead television channels. its really hard to describe..its like there is a huge pressure in my head and i feel like someone is breathing on me.....dont know where im going with this but it has always bothered me since i was 11 or 12. im the kind of person that finds it hard to sleep and i try not to sleep during the day(when im tired and want to doze etc) as i sometimes get sleep paralysis..my mum used to get it a lot when she was a teenager....i keep telling myself its only dreaming but it just feels way too ''intense'' to be dreaming.....its freaky....

Thats sleep-paralysis munkeehaven :D Its perfectly normal actually. Its actually what happens to most people who in the past thought they were possesed by demons etc and more common these days is "alien abduction" :D Anyway its a natural thing so dont worry about it. Im not someone who ever panics so when it happens to me (at least 4 times i remember!) i just relax and wait for my body to wake up

Bassically you are sleeping even though your eyes are open.. you are still asleep and your body in that state is [retty much paralysed.. why? think about it.. If you enacted flying or something in your sleep and your body tried to do it.. well you can see why not being able to move at that level of sleep is a good thing. Anyway you are half conscious so aware but since you are still asleep your dreams imagine things.. you might SEE an alien or demon or something.

Actually its a lot of fun i think, except one time i woke up and realise my knee was twisted so when i got feeling back i was in so much bloody pain :D:D

Oh and on waking up, relaising its a dream and controlling it? I do that all the time. Most of the time i dream i become aware and control it. Its fun.. its only not fun when i wake up enough to not be dreaming as such any more and now im just using my imagination trying to hang on to the dream, especially if its a "good" dream :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Originally posted by Saruman
    its only not fun when i wake up enough to not be dreaming as such any more and now im just using my imagination trying to hang on to the dream, especially if its a "good" dream :D
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I guess you know what i mean by a "good dream" :cool:

Oh i singed up for those free courses (online) on the mysticweb site. Starts in august.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Originally posted by Jesjes
    It's called Astral Projection. People can control it. It happens to others without their control. If it happens to you often enough then I'd recommend looking it up on google or something and learning the basics of being able to protect yourself. When you leave yourself, your body is unprotected.

It's happened to me once or twice. But I've never been afraid. Just....kinda....floaty.

Unprotected from what exactly? Could another spirit hijack your body???

Advertisement