Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of Body Experiences (OBE's)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Originally posted by Zulu
    Unprotected from what exactly? Could another spirit hijack your body???
    exactly what I was thinking ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I know there was discussion on Deja Vu before but if the Astral plane allows you to go to another universe.. perhaps you play out some possible future one night and then a few days later or whatever something similar happens and you get the feeling this has happened before. It has in a way just not in this plane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

Have any of you downloaded brainwave generator? There is a preset for the registered version which can induce OOBEs. I have used a few presets. I tried an "LSD" simulator which was weirdish :)

Can't remember the link to the site but google is your friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭satori

I found it more of a hindrence then a help.... but each to there own!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Holy crap i just downloaded that and within seconds i noticed the effects.. no OOB experience in the list but i tried 3 of them and they did seem to change the way i was. Im at a site setting up a server so cant play now but will try later tonight :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Originally posted by Zulu
    Unprotected from what exactly? Could another spirit hijack your body???

Well....perhaps. To be honest, this is as far as I got in the knowledge. If it happens to you a lot. I'd recommend a very simple thing before going to sleep. Saying in your mind " I am safe, I am happy, and I am protected" Or something similar. Whatever you are comfortable with. If you reaffirm your place and your person, if anything EVER was to try JUMP into your body, then that should stop them. Lol. I think. I have a general knowledge on it. I talk to/know people that study it, but have not studied it myself. So maybe if your concerned look into it more yourself.

Man I hope I don't come off as crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Originally posted by Jesjes
    Well....perhaps. To be honest, this is as far as I got in the knowledge. If it happens to you a lot. I'd recommend a very simple thing before going to sleep. Saying in your mind " I am safe, I am happy, and I am protected" Or something similar. Whatever you are comfortable with. If you reaffirm your place and your person, if anything EVER was to try JUMP into your body, then that should stop them. Lol. I think. I have a general knowledge on it. I talk to/know people that study it, but have not studied it myself. So maybe if your concerned look into it more yourself.

Man I hope I don't come off as crazy.

Just a little crazy ;)
    How would saying that protect you from a spirit taking your body? (assuming they can)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭keu

i spose it works in the same way as if you were sick, some people have the ability to tell themselves that they are better, a bit like self hypnosis?
    (people use mantras to achieve the same effect, repeating words over and saying them with conviction, has the effect of inducing required states of mind and have a calming influence)
    would think to achieve maximum effect you might have to believe in what you are saying though.
    is the basis behind prayer and most people would have said a prayer (for reassurance) before they slept.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Erm. Pretty much. If I'm really honest [and sound REALLY crazy] if your in the situation where you are leaving your body without control over it, I'd just ask for God, if taht's what you belive in, or your angels, if thats what you belive in....you get the jist, ask for whatever faith you have [similar to the idea of a mantra] to just be with you and keep you safe, before you fall asleep that is. YOu should be fine. I doubt it happens to people that often for them to do what I'm saying though.....

hehe. Jesjes aka crazy lady...out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

What a lot of you are talking about here is Awareness During Sleep Parylsis (ASP). When you fall asleep every night your brain makes this chemical that parylsises you from head to toe. People who sleep walk dont produce this chemical properly so they act out their dreams. Some other people including myself sometimes become aware that they are asleep but because of this chemical cannot move. Sometimes you can even see dark figures lurking in the room and hear buzzing sounds and even feel like sombody is trying to kill you. This can be very frightening at first but the important thing is to take control of it. You can use this state of concionuss to enter into a lucid dream or even have an OBE. This takes a lot of practice.

Oh yea I usually get it after a tight bender at the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Evil_Bilbo

Had a dream the other night (just as I was dosing off) that I was up and going to the bathroom - quite similar to the dream at the start of this thread.

Anyway I turned on the light, went into the bathroom, and I started to go blind (or everything started getting dark). Then I was reaching for the light over the mirror, and was gripped with fear.

I dunno if any of ye watched twin peaks, but there was a "theory" in it that in the black lodge (a place of evil), you would meet your double (or shadow self or evil twin or doppleganger). The Indians called it "the dweller on the threshold". Cooper meets his shadow self at the end of the series

Anyway - I watched the entire series about 3 months ago (amazing btw), but for some reason I "knew" that this feeling of fear was because my shadow self was trying to come in through the door. I was shouting and completely freaking out, and didnt want to open my eyes incase I saw myself

Then I woke up. Would this be an out of body experience (or should I just lay off the spliff before bed and twin peaks).

the entire thing only lasted about 5 minutes and I managed to get back to sleep a while after - really freaked me out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

If any of you guys have ever read any James Herbert books, you should read his most recent one. It's called 'Nobody True' and it's about a guy that learns to control his obe's. It's a brilliant story. Thought some of yis would be interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Had some dream the other night, i forget what it was.... it doesn't matter. Anyway i was drifting in and out of this and all of a sudden i felt hands and then an arm going over my shoulder. I kept my eyes shut and rolled over to "squeeze" back and realized there was no one there. Just as i realized this, the feeling went away much to my disappointment. I rolled over as if there was a presence on the left hand side of me. :confused: I havent broken up with anybody and im not missing anybody recently. And im not blaming the spliff. But i felt that this was a presence i WANTED to "sqeeze" back. I still want to.

"spliff" can i ask what this is?

(sorry but blame the sheltered life)

And regarding the presence was it comforting and the urge to squezze back on of love and security or more nocternal lust?

As in experiences of the astral it is not unusual to come accross succubus type energy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

spliff = reefer = j

J = Hash = Marijuana = :p = :ninja:

Edit: It was a loving squeeze.
    SUCCUBUS? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

I'm in work in a few minutes so I don't have time to go through all the posts, I had an OBE years ago myself and yeah it was pretty scary, especially since I didn't know what it was at the time.

Thing is one or two of you metioned waking up and been paralysed. THIS IS NOT A OBE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Doh, accidently p[osted before I was finished.

When you are asleep, you brain often paralyses your body, this is to stop you acting out your dreams and doing yourself some serious harm. Sometimes if you wake up suddenly (for any reason) your brain does not unparalsyse (sorry about spelling) your body. So you are basically awake and cannot move. It's happened me a few times freaked me out the first time, (what makes it worse is you realise you can't move and then try to shout out for help!!!!). Once you know what it is you don't really worry about it.

If it ever happens you, just try to relax and go back asleep.

gillo you are just after repeating what I said at the top of this page

want to tell us about your OBE gillo?

• Advertisement

The below is just my interpertation of a multi layered and extensive classification of what is thought a succubus to be, again this is only one mans veiw i would strongly urge anyone who harbours intrest in ths topic to do there own research and find what rings true to them

The concept of a succubus has arisen through almost every culture, there purpose varies greatly (the most famous contrast being the view point that they are of demonic origin -most commonly associated with Lilith- and the other being no more then a projected individuals manifested internal desires) but one common link exists among them, and that being there erotic energy.

Succubi (Incubi in their male form) are thought to be astral thought forms that feed upon the sexual energy of individuals that are open to their advances.

Often appearing in dreams and on the astral when an individual has transcended the material world they “feed” by night upon the sexually frustrated and the sexually overactive.

Mind altering narcotics such as marijuana can shift a person’s perception and allow the contact with these fundamental and raw energy patterns.

Although personally I have never encountered such a being I do know of people who have and the general agreement seems to be that although this type of being may bring with it a certain degree of psychological gratification they essentially cause havoc to a individuals energy patterns as the essential “feed” of them for survival.

I would not be shocked that if in the near future this entity (be it a thought form to a independent energetic being) reappeared, as people who have in the past left themselves open to this interaction very often have more linear experiences.

The most beneficial thing for you to do is source why you have allowed contact on the astral plane; usually a revilement of repressed sexual feelings and the disbarment of neurotic tendencies that are causing you anxiety and stress can put an end to such encounters…

But in open honestly I have to admit that many people choose not to, even at the risk of there own energy patterns and the psychological strain they choose to progress with the above activity, this is a decision that you and only you have the right to choose upon, my best advice is to realistically explore this phenomenon both astral as well as mundanely so when a decision is reached, it is one that you find will be most beneficial to your over all being.

I wish you nothing but peace

Satoi

Man that is some deep sh1t.

Satori, thank you so much for offering an opinion of the happenings that night. Might have to work on my emotions a bit. And my social life.

Mushroom season approaches. I shall be altering the mind beyond return.
    As for demons that hunt in the night, bring the fockers on. Ive plenty of energy left inside me. And nothing can take it away from me. My dreams are my own, i dont wish to share them. I should learn to hate and disembowel what i should not love.

just want to add a comment.
    Thats a well written piece Satori, This is an area which could be debated and discussed in more detail. speaking from my own experience (information not garnered from a website) it could be argued that all thought form is astral energy and as far as I can see the point being, how to discern between what is being described as " an independent energetic being" (or an independant thought form) (could be argued there is no difference)
    Succubi (Incubi in their male form) are thought to be astral thought forms that feed upon the sexual energy of individuals that are open to their advances.

The word inspired literally means "in spirit", if you can imagine that all energy that surrounds us is in a sense the same energy or essence that is "spirit" you can understand how Mozart or Bach were "inspired" to write great music.
    So it could be argued that there is no such thing as an independant thought form. (all thought being derived from various levels of a collective consciousness)

What seperates the kind of inspiration (thought forms) which can leave one feeling "attacked"/ defensive or sexually manipulated in this case, would be the level from where inspiration is being derived.
    Naturally if your going to be taking mind altering drugs, your mind takes up residence on the astral plane, so to speak.

It's commonly suggested that there are many "levels" of consciousness, for explantion purposes I'll call the lower level (astral plane) universal UNconsiousness.
    On the flip side you might imagine there is a universal consciousness too (a state of full awareness)

Again, for explanation purposes....consider earthbound spirit are those which remain on the astral plane. (and are not conscious to their own awareness)
    and consider then that this plane (astral) holds the thoughts of our physical existance, thoughts which deal only with earthly issues, like sexual desires. (or pain and suffering)

Want to give a quick example.
    I met a lady few years back who had lost her husband through suicide. About a week later, I started having dreams about a guy (complete stranger) of a sexual nature. (very deep and physical). I thought it nothing more than my own desires acting out subconsciously during sleep, until I discussed the dreams with my friend.
    I described the guy, (who was driving in a fire truck) and she sent me a photo of her husband. She recognised the information as relevant to her husband (fire truck, big hose heheh) and when I saw the picture I was blown away because it was who I had seen in the dreams.
    All the information I had revelead was relative in some way to her and so she took the information as a message or contact from him.
    As soon as she did the dreams ceased.
    (often sucides don't move further than the astral plane, still clinging to earthly desires)

If you think any of this information applies, with regard to the astral plane, than perhaps you might consider a plane of higher consciousness. (spirit or tought form which is not concerned with earthly things). The best way to connect with this space is through prayer or meditation. (prayer is quick and will supply a sense of protection, just by raising the consciousness)

(Fear, of being defensive is in a sense supplying energy to the lower levels of consciousness)
    "I should learn to hate and disembowel what i should not love."..sounds like an entity from a lower level of consciousness to me.
    Raise yaself up nick.

Thanks for your comments Keu ;)

In reveiw of nicks comments, as he was attached to the emotional security and warmth of the presence maybe it was in fact a spiritual guide?

What do you think?

and more importantly what dose nick think?

Think it's down to how nick feels at the end of the day, (and as long as he knows there's plenty of support and guidance around him too)

Originally posted by satori

In reveiw of nicks comments, as he was attached to the emotional security and warmth of the presence maybe it was in fact a spiritual guide?

I would like that. I would also like, if in that case it would show itself more often.
    Originally posted by keu

(and as long as he knows there's plenty of support and guidance around him too)

:D:D:D Hey thats cool. Thank you.
    I've been feeling good the last two days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭nicelives

Originally posted by Saruman
    I guess you know what i mean by a "good dream" :cool:

Oh i singed up for those free courses (online) on the mysticweb site. Starts in august.

Really found this thread interesting and signed up for the online course as well Saruman. I then got freaked out that the guy who's teaching and pushing all this calls himself Beelzebuub as in the demonic spirit in the Gospel. I questioned this and was advised by a guy called Patrik that he was a demon and is no longer. In terms of sprits and different plains even the hint of negative energy makes me very uneasy and unable to relax.

Was trying to induce OOBEs about 9 months ago but only got to the buzzing stage before I panicked a bit.
    Was very interested in the stories above and really hope those to whom it happens to involuntary and unwanted manage to get rid.

Graham.

I then got freaked out that the guy who's teaching and pushing all this calls himself Beelzebuub as in the demonic spirit in the Gospel. I questioned this and was advised by a guy called Patrik that he was a demon and is no longer. In terms of sprits and different plains even the hint of negative energy makes me very uneasy and unable to relax.

rule #1.
    trust your instincts.

edit: btw, you can have transcendental experiences without actually obeing.
    I don't know why people try so hard to have Obe's, I would think that trying would just inhibit any experiences. (which is why they usually occur when people not trying so hard, during/ before sleep)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by nicelives
    I then got freaked out that the guy who's teaching and pushing all this calls himself Beelzebuub as in the demonic spirit in the Gospel. Graham.

I told someone my name was beezlebub for the laugh in a chatroom yesterday. Without knowledge of what i just quoted. Weird. :eek:

Advertisement