Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Banned again

• 31-05-2004 12:22am
    Site Banned Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hi Chaps,

Looks like I've been banned again for apparently suggesting that pirating software was ok. It's not the first time I've ran afoul of fascist moderators in fairness. But perhaps some debate, or notification on this ban would have been nice.. I also wanted to post in the soccer and paranormal forums, but was unable to do this.

First point I'd like to make here - for all the good it does - is to say, that I was not directly suggesting piracy to the cash strapped student, I merely advised him to get an evaluation copy.. Hmm.. anyway, why be banned? Also, because I was banned from posting in the ELARA site, I can only surmise that ELARA pushed for this, or at least approved the action, and thus will get no more of my custom.

Komplett, now they're a company who give good deals. I am a long standing customer of Komplett. I have spent thousands there in fact. Now, I can no longer avail of the support in the Komplett section because Vex decided to ban me from the whole Commercial section.... Do Komplett know about this? Do Komplett agree with this treatment of their customers? I realise that it is an amateur operation here, and the lack of integrity displayed by many moderators shows this.

If anyone wants to waste some of their time investigating this with this Vex chap, then go for it. I'd just like to point out the lack of logic being followed here. If the mod wants to ban me from Elara (and subsequently, they have lost hundreds of euro of orders.. maybe thousands over enough time), then fine.. but now I'm unable to post on many forums? And why should I be banned from armchair.ie and komplett forums?

Cheers,
    Wolfie.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Originally posted by Wolfie
    Hi Chaps,

Hi Wolfie, glad to see we're still oppressing you.
    First point I'd like to make here - for all the good it does - is to say, that I was not directly suggesting piracy to the cash strapped student, I merely advised him to get an evaluation copy.. Hmm.. anyway, why be banned?

Did you not advise him/her to get a CD burner and burn the software?
    Also, because I was banned from posting in the ELARA site, I can only surmise that ELARA pushed for this, or at least approved the action, and thus will get no more of my custom.

You surmise incorrectly. You were banned from the commercial category for your post by Vexorg as he is inclined to do. Elara have no ability to ban or to veto a ban on boards.ie

Originally posted by Wolfie
    I also wanted to post in the soccer and paranormal forums, but was unable to do this.

You're not banned from Paranormal btw, and I don't know if you ever had access to the Soccer forum.

• Site Banned Posts: 197 ✭✭Wolfie

Originally posted by ecksor
    Hi Wolfie, glad to see we're still oppressing you.

Alas, I am not glad, dear Ecksor, as I had hoped that an earlier period of insurrection and moderator in-fighting would lead to some introspection and positive changes in how we are oppressed unfairly. It calmed for a while... but I guess some mods are not nice guys. Some are nice guys though. Which is why I stick around and devote so much time to helping make boards better! A little weeding is all that is necessary .. no need to dig up the whole lawn after all!
    Did you not advise him/her to get a CD burner and burn the software?
    [/B]

Why Ecksor, you both shock and sadden me! I merely suggested that the cash strapped student should 'fire up his cd-burner' and get a loan of a copy to evaluate. I chose the CD-burner because nowadays most people use burners to read/install their cd's... not many have CD-ROM drives anymore. Demographics and all that Ecksor. Oh.. my... you thought I meant? Oh dear! Did I mention anywhere that he should copy the CD?

Would I advocate such flagrant flaunting of copyright licence? Dont microsoft need the money nowadays? MS Office would only cost him 200 quid, and I'm sure they deserve it for their R&D time spent gifting the world with MS Office. Given the chap's financial circumstances I merely implied he should check out the product before buying! Prudent practice for the noble student.

But now, I must ask the question, why can someone be banned if (hypothetically speaking) they did argue there was a case for piracy (in fact, this argument did take place on boards before.. many people advocated piracy and were not banned?). If people can argue the merits of paedophilia (re: the so-called 'humanities' section), abortion, racism ... in fact need I go on? Here on boards many people are free to speak openly about many thorny topics. Cant someone mention piracy? (not that i did, you understand). Isnt that what makes freedom great?
    You surmise incorrectly. You were banned from the commercial category for your post by Vexorg as he is inclined to do. Elara have no ability to ban or to veto a ban on boards.ie [/B]

What gives Vex the right to ban me so non-chalantly from all the forums in the commercial section? As I mentioned, I am a long standing customer of Komplett, they have no problem with me I am sure, but I am banned from their forums too? Do you see my dilemma? My question? The root and the central truth of my neverending quest for justice for us peon users who have not yet licked our way to mod status? I am no politician, I know I dont appeal to the masses (or perhaps I do and the masses are all banned?) just a simple user of boards, who would like to be able to post on forums that are put here by companies that I give my hard earned cash to.

If the private businesses such as ELARA allow such idiotic (no, I dont use the term loosely) moderation of their forums, dont they realise that it will damage their custom? Many people will be annoyed. But I guess Vex had a bad day, and needed to vent. So who cares about my lifetime ban eh? (Oh, that last sentance was sarcasm!)

Investigate comrades, investigate and righteously punish those who brandished the whip against the innocent wolfie!

What gives Vex the right to ban me so non-chalantly from all the forums in the commercial section?

Apart from being one of the owners of this website you mean?

Your overly long crap filled complaints only make me want to oppress you further I'm afraid. I'm sure that Vexorg will examine your complaints and the effect that us not allowing you to advocate piracy on our forums has upon the business of the companies you mention and more importantly upon the image which you claim has been besmirched. I can assure you that he takes such matters very seriously even when the peons are calling him idiotic and generally wasting our time with rambling nonsense.

In case I have not been clear, none of the companies you mention had anything to do with you being banned and are probably unaware of the banning at this point.

Apart from being one of the owners of this website you mean?

That is irrelevent, if he wants the website to remain an open forum then it matters not if he 'owns' the website or not.
    Your overly long crap filled complaints only make me want to oppress you further I'm afraid. I'm sure that
    [/B]

Ah.. right.. fair play to you.. its the sensible moderators like you who make 99% of people think boards is full of ****. My 'crap' filled complaints are in fact my opinion on the matter. Unfortunately, it is individuals like yourself that I am forced to present these views to. Maybe someone should set up a new boards... its not hard after all is it, with your PHPBB rip off software.

Vexorg will examine your complaints and the effect that us not allowing you to advocate piracy on our forums has upon the business of the companies you mention and more importantly upon the image which you claim has been besmirched. I can assure you that he takes such matters very seriously even when the peons are calling him idiotic and generally wasting our time with rambling nonsense.

In case I have not been clear, none of the companies you mention had anything to do with you being banned and are probably unaware of the banning at this point. [/B]

Again, can you prove from my post that I am advocating piracy? Perhaps you took it up the wrong way sonny? It is nice that Vex takes things such as this seriously. That should mean he immediately strips croney mods of their 'powers'... Hmm.. on second thoughts, perhaps Vex takes things too seriously.

You say that the companies are not aware of my banning.. that suggests a stupid process then doesnt it. You can ban and treat their customers like **** on a whim.

Go ahead and ban me completely from boards if that is what you children want to do. If that makes you feel big then do it. I'll go, and never darken the door again. I mean it.. no re-registering with a different IP address. If that is how you kids want to play your power trip then just do it. I have many many ways to fill my time apart from here. I've already left 'humanities' because of similar nonsense and never gone back. It bothers me not. I have a life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Vexorg

You were banned from "all" the commercial forums for suggesting on a commercial forum that someone pirate software.

Feel free to make your case to Jeanie at Elara, Patman at komplett, Armchair.ie at armchair and blacknight at blacknight.

As for "or notification on this ban would have been nice.." you read the pm notifying you of the ban on 31-05-2004 00:09...

Regards

V.

Originally posted by Vexorg
    You were banned from "all" the commercial forums for suggesting on a commercial forum that someone pirate software.

Feel free to make your case to Jeanie at Elara, Patman at komplett, Armchair.ie at armchair and blacknight at blacknight.

As for "or notification on this ban would have been nice.." you read the pm notifying you of the ban on 31-05-2004 00:09...

Regards

V.

Yeah, I know why you banned me.. You dont have conclusive proof that I suggested someone pirate software. Are all your licences up to date and acocunted for Vex? Are you being a hypocrite? Have many others suggested pirating software and music on boards and not been banned?

As for the notification issue, you told me in a dictatorial (in other words, boards) way that I was banned. You didnt give warning or enter into dialogue/debate to ascertain whether or not I was suggesting this person should pirate software. Either way, pardon my french, but you've been a complete twat about the whole situation, havent you?

I cant mail Patman about it, he doesnt accept PMs, no surprise really! I'm sure he wouldnt be impressed at your unprofessional handling of the situation, and banning a very good customer from the komplett forums.

Also, I was banned from humanities for a week (well, it was supposed to be a week, then the moderator forgot about the ban.. of course, since this is amateur hour), but didnt get banned from *every* forum in the Society section. Funny that isnt it? Just get a life, try to be nicer and treat people with some respect instead of punch bags for your personal amusement and ego/intellectual self-gratification and you might get somewhere. I bet you mods wouldnt be half as stroppy in real life.

Ok, we've established that you've been banned and why and that you've been 'mistaken' about a few facts that you've presented. I think that settles the matter.

Ok, we've established that you've been banned and why and that you've been 'mistaken' about a few facts that you've presented. I think that settles the matter.

What are you talking about? Whats it even got to do with you btw? Have you nothing better to do with your life than butt into others business and act the big important moderator? HAHA. I laugh at you! Chamone!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Are all your licences up to date and acocunted for Vex? Are you being a hypocrite? Have many others suggested pirating software and music on boards and not been banned?

We run on BSD (a free OS) and we pay a yearly subscription for VBulletin, so that would be a "yes".

I've never seen someone suggest getting a pirated copy of music or software who *didnt* get banned. Feel free to point them out to me and I'll ban them too.
    As for the notification issue, you told me in a dictatorial (in other words, boards) way that I was banned. You didnt give warning or enter into dialogue/debate to ascertain whether or not I was suggesting this person should pirate software. Either way, pardon my french, but you've been a complete twat about the whole situation, havent you?

Here, mate... I can settle all your confusion over where you are banned from and where you arent. Considering that you have a *litany* of boards you have been banned from (by different people) and for different reasons, give me one good reason why I should want you around here at all?

We dont enter into debates or discussions with people we ban in general. It leads to brain-hurting discussions like this where people like you just dont get it.

DeV.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by DeVore
    We run on BSD (a free OS) and we pay a yearly subscription for VBulletin, so that would be a "yes".

I've never seen someone suggest getting a pirated copy of music or software who *didnt* get banned. Feel free to point them out to me and I'll ban them too.

I'm sure you pay your sub for VBulletin, but I'm also sure that lurking on many moderators hard drives are some questionable items (in terms of copyright that is). I'm merely pointing to a hypocritical attitude. An unfriendly attitude of banning.

I remember entering a piracy debate, and I have often heard people say things like "You still buy music?" and things like that. Far less than what I am alleged to have been implying (see.. alleged, implying.. a flimsy case). Anyway, I dont begrudge that, if the people want to express that view then fair enough. There is a mandate for advocating piracy anyway in my opinion.

Here, mate... I can settle all your confusion over where you are banned from and where you arent. Considering that you have a *litany* of boards you have been banned from (by different people) and for different reasons, give me one good reason why I should want you around here at all?
    [/B]

Litany.. hmm.. look up big words before you use them DeVore. I was banned from one forum (humanities) and now I am banned from all commercial boards in one fell swoop by one other power crazed mod. So, thats two mods with personality/emotional disorders who have vented on me for very minor infringements of 'their interpretation' of the rules. I dont have to give you any good reasons why you should want me around here. I thought boards was an open forum for discussion? Obviously you guys dont value your users if we have to give you reasons why we are worthy to use this message board? It's got a really bad reputation, boards.ie, are you lads aware of that? Most of the people I know, even ones who post here, percieve that it "is full of arseholes". This problem comes from the mods (not all mods, but many of you).
    We dont enter into debates or discussions with people we ban in general. It leads to brain-hurting discussions like this where people like you just dont get it.

DeV. [/B]

No, mate, it's you who doesnt get it - despite me trying to tell you. Your condescending tone, you poor thing.. what is wrong with your ego, your id? Your childhood? Who scarred your personality so? Your brain hurts when people dont do everything you want them to, when your ned to assert your will on them fails? Tsk.. classic social problems and phobias.

The need to live out your fascist all powerful existence, like you are playing some kind of RPG online, with you guys as the kings, except you are dealing with real people. You are disrespecting real opinions and views. Do *you* get it? Seriously, step back from your emotional baggage and think over what I have said. Look at it logically. I'm trying to help. I dont care anymore about being banned. What annoys me is people continuing to wallow in their ignorance.

We could refrain from banning him so that we look like the bigger people here, but who gives a toss at the end of the day. I just want him to shut up.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Freedom of speech eh?
    Please feel free to *STFU*.

If this place bothers you so much and is so terrible (as *everyone* knows!) then why are you still here? Why do you even come here? You do realise that you are one of the arseholes you're "friends" are talking about. Seriously.

DeV.

Freedom of speech eh?
    Please feel free to *STFU*.

If this place bothers you so much and is so terrible (as *everyone* knows!) then why are you still here? Why do you even come here? You do realise that you are one of the arseholes you're "friends" are talking about. Seriously.

DeV.

Please feel free to STFU? That's hardly mature now is it?! You're being unfriendly again, and you didnt really answer much to my last post.

Now, on to your questions. What bothers me about this place is not the place itself, but the small minded attitude of many mods, who act way too OTT. I enjoy the banter with many regular posters however. I am not really one of the arseholes that others percieve as being a boards clique, because I always listen to what people have to say, and I dont ban them and act the strongarm arse for whimsical reasons. I'm a nice guy. I'm a valuable human being. Oh yeah baby! in fact.. I reckon, I rock! Rock on!

Anyway, I know that many people agree with me, but are censored and prevented from posting here. You ought to let people talk more... Justice for Wolfie, and freedom for Hendrix.

You lads are here to moderate discussions, not dominate or censor them? Or am I mistaken? Hey, do you think one of you mods should ask Patman to check this thread.. I'd like to know what he thinks about this. My hands are tied.. figuratively speaking.

You can ban our posts, but you can never take, our freeeeeeeeedom!

There is a new flag of freedom on boards DeVore (if that is your real name).. You've called down the thunder my friend..

" Dont tread on me! "

I know he's probably just having a laugh at this stage but it's not funny so ...

Advertisement