Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst gaming moment?

Options
  • 31-05-2004 2:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭

Flipside to the excellent Best Gaming moment thread. Whats the worst, most frustrating, brain bleedingly agonising moment you can recall?

For me, it was realising that my GTA:VC Disc had been scratched in the cruellest way possible, after lending it to a friend.

It wasn't broken completely, it just froze if I played the radio while moving at high speed. If it had been broken outright, I could have justified buying a new copy but as it stood...it was just torture. I'd promise myself to switch off the radio everytime..but I'd always succumb. "I won't go too fast" I'd promise myself...It finally got too much for me last week and after what? A year? I finally bought a platinum edition...and guess what? My old saves weren't compatible. ARRRRGH!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

i'm gonna be torched for this one...

playing MArio 64 for the first time...sorry it didnt click with me, i like having a reason to play the game and the story annoyed me (esp the lets bake a cake ending AHHHHH) the levels were not as enjoyable as i thought they should have been, i know it was the first all 3d platformer but i dunno i didnt think it was as great as it is said to be (I played it 2 months after it came out, so no it was great then excuses and just because i'm a sonic fan doesnt mean i wont play mario games, i love mario world) guess i have it here because of the disapointment i got from it. (dont worry nintendo fans i feel almost the same for Halo)

Playing Dakitana...i already knew it was meant to be crap...but this was god awfully painful.

returning to CS after 6 months away having to download this huge patch, then trying to get cheating death to work with my computer until finally getting into a server which had not 1 but 2 cheaters on it...really pissed me off.

p.s Why does this place shut down every night at 3am it really annoys me...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Normal people sleep now Blitzkrieg...:D

I've never played Mario 64 (Don't hate me!) but I do quite like Halo, even if it could do with a bit more variety, and maybe a bit more time on the first play through. It took me longer to finish MGS, fer crying out loud...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

The server gets backed up at about 3am.

I agree about Mario64.. but then I didn't like Goldeneye much either (and I'm generally a big fan of Ninty games). Maybe it was becuase I was playing things like Quake and Quake2 on the PC at the time - the blocky 3Dness of it all wasn't enough to keep me interested. I've never come close to finishing either game, and I've owned them both at one time or another.

In fact, unless I think of something better as I'm pushing that 'submit' button, those two games may constitute my worst gameing moment... so hyped, but still pretty rubish. and from Nintendo too... I was disapointed :(

please send me definition of normal people, and if thats the case why are you here?

(whaever happened to the 4am club

(now they have 2 reasons to burn me to hell)

naah wha i didnt like about halo was it was overhyped so i thought i was gonna play something totally fesh and amazing, the opening level felt like another half life clone (loads and loads of scripted moments) and after that it felt a tad repetitive. (drive here drive there blow up this blow up that. Course i gave up after a while) Maybe i should have sticked at it...or at least play it in co-op. Course none of my friends seem to want to play it in co-op only mutliplayer CTF...which is nothing great.

I AM NOT ALONE!!!

-though goldeneye mutliplayer can get addictive just for its simplicity and room atmosphere alone. Nothing beats cheating by ramming your heal into your opponents foot. But without 4 controllers and some friends willing to spend the night drinking and playing a game (wha in 1998 you gotta be kidding me!)

• Advertisement

please send me definition of normal people, and if thats the case why are you here?

Never said I was normal...:D Its now 4 am, I have work in 5 hours and a terrifying phone bill, and I'm still here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

spending a whole day getting super sonic on sonic 2 on the mega drive, and the screen froze, the mega drive had no save option and once crashed that was it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Playing the godawful atrocity that was shadowman on the ps1, only bought after reading the rave reviews it got on the n64...dark days.
    ONI on the ps2..played it once, back it went to the depths of hell where it was spawned.
    Playing vice city on the ps2 for the first time and realising it was a horrible mess not much different from GTA3.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I have to say Halo. When I finally got to play the xbox's killer app (that seemed to be getting amazing reviews from everyone), after an hour I shrugged, said "so what?" and never played it again. Couldn't see what the big deal was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Right about here

Good game right up until that moment ,i have never forgiving Rare.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I broke a nail playing Pacman.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Viewtiful Joe - such a great game... i wish i could just stop there:(
    THAT MOTHER****ING **** **** BEBOP LOOKING COCKTARD DAVIDSON ASSCAKE!!!!
    'nuff said

Oh, realising my brother had spilled tea on my memory card wasn't good either. My MGS, and VR Mission saves, my Final Fantasy (Yup, all three...), but most heartbreaking of all, to me at least, the loss of my hard earned Resident Evil saves...god, I wanted him dead. Maybe there is something in that whole violence/ video games thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

the very end of mohaa

"thats it???"

Originally posted by MiCr0
    the very end of mohaa

"thats it???"

Oh yeah that too ,worst ending ever.

kdjac

Originally posted by jill_valentine
    Oh, realising my brother had spilled tea on my memory card wasn't good either.
    ah jesus, the memories are flooding back:(
    my bro overwrote (is that a word?) my gran turismo 2 save:mad:
    3 goddamn months of playing that game GONE.
    haven't been able to look at it since.

playing simpson's wrestling on the ps1, i'm still pissed off that i wasted €3 renting this and a perfectly good cdr copying this steaming pile of ****:mad:
    likewise with the italian job.

realising that i just don't have the patience for hard games any more (i play most of my games on easy now, and still give them up if i fail more than once):(

Argh, getting within a milimetre of surviving the torture in MGS and then my mother came in to the room to tell me to study...Concentration lost, Snake dies, bad mojo for Meryl, and I can safely say I learned nothing after fuming at my geography notes for an hour...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Originally posted by TmB
    I have to say Halo. When I finally got to play the xbox's killer app (that seemed to be getting amazing reviews from everyone), after an hour I shrugged, said "so what?" and never played it again. Couldn't see what the big deal was.

Me to. I finished it and all, but it wasn't anything special.

After playing Fooze Ball for about 2 hours I fucked up my right arm. I can't play Fooze Ball or Bowling anymore.

Worst actualy computer gaming moment was when my 6 year old cousin deleted my file in Goldeneye after me beating all levels on 00 Agent and unlocking all the cheats. Needless to say Social Services were called.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Originally posted by tman
    Viewtiful Joe - such a great game... i wish i could just stop there:(
    THAT MOTHER****ING **** **** BEBOP LOOKING COCKTARD DAVIDSON ASSCAKE!!!!
    'nuff said

DAAAAAAAAVVVVVVVIIIIIIIDDDDDDDDSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOONNNN iS IN THE HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D

good job he is one of the easier bosses. im stilll stuck on another joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Hmm. Let's see. Tribes 2 was trauma in a cd case. I remember being so excited by its release and rushing to buy it on its day of release before I caught the bus home from college to my pc. Needless to say, about 3 weeks later I still didn't have it working. Then I got it working but it kept crashing after maybe 2/3 minutes in game, due to a virus I'm sure I got from its wonderful patching process. Then I eventually got it working (with the help of a boards team of regulars that probably numbered about 10/12 working round the clock) and soon after that I was sorry I did get it working. Turns out what I needed to do to get it working properly took roughly 30 seconds. Enable Microsoft IPX protocol or something.

Thing is, sometimes even now I get the urge to reinstall it. Masochist?

Another ball-achingly frustrating moment was any time within the first couple of months of Steam. Every time I'd have abattle with the latest update, resinstalling, deleting, crying. Then I'd get it working, and go back to college for the week. When I returned, sure as sh*t there'd be ana update out, and I'd have to go through it all again.

Precious memories.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Here are a few of mine.

Losing one of my PS2 memory cards while a being 25 hours into a game of Front Mission 3.

Buying Sparkster only to learn that it was **** and a disgrace to the Rocket Knight Adventures game that it was a sequel to.

Turning the computer off while C+C was saving and corrupting my file (my fault entirely).

Recently when my beloved PS2's laser broke and I found out how much it would cost to get another chipped PS2.

Having my then favourite game Gunstar Heroes stolen by a prick that took a lend of it and moved house the next day.

Fire Leo from Viewtiful Joe. Believe me when I say that Hulk davidson and Another Joe are pansies compared to this guy. And remember I played it on Adults from the start.

The final missle level in the Mega Drive Probotector gave me nightmares because it was so tough. And it took ages to get there.

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    Fire Leo from Viewtiful Joe. Believe me when I say that Hulk davidson and Another Joe are pansies compared to this guy. And remember I played it on Adults from the start.
    ooooh! low blow:D

Pussies Joe is one of the best original games made in a long time and cos its too hard you all whine about it.

See thats why PS2 and Prima guides were made , noobs :)

All those Joe = Worst gaming moment should be deleted they actually best gmaing moments imo .

//shakes fist at the whiners!!!!

kdjac

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    Here are a few of mine.

Ive played on adults all the way through too. I didnt know it meant easy and hard I just though it meant there would be swearing or somethin:D

I nearly killed another joe the first time I fought him. got his energy to red. I just am too lazy to try it over and over again. im in the middle of metroid prime and I can be certain my worst gaming moments wont be comeing from these games.

Originally posted by KdjaC
    Pussies Joe is one of the best original games made in a long time and cos its too hard you all whine about it.

See thats why PS2 and Prima guides were made , noobs :)

All those Joe = Worst gaming moment should be deleted they actually best gmaing moments imo .

//shakes fist at the whiners!!!!

kdjac

who was complaining about it? Its my best game along with Prime. I dont complain about it and neither was the other guy, he just said Hulk davidson was annoying.

ugh...like whacking your shin on a coffee table, Retr0gamer's hit that nerve that makes you gutsick just thinking about it.
    Turning the computer off while C+C was saving and corrupting my file (my fault entirely).
    :eek: :(
    Recently when my beloved PS2's laser broke and I found out how much it would cost to get another chipped PS2
    How much? How much to replace the laser by itself?

Originally posted by evad_lhorg
    who was complaining about it? Its my best game along with Prime. I dont complain about it and neither was the other guy, he just said Hulk davidson was annoying.

Sorry i posted this in wrong topic thought it was" worst gaming moment" oh wait !!!!!!

kdjac

Originally posted by KdjaC
    Sorry i posted this in wrong topic thought it was" worst gaming moment" oh wait !!!!!!

kdjac
    I included it as one of my worst gaming moments, because i was having one of the greatest gaming moments of my life up to the point of facing Hulk Davidson.
    it'll probably be a couple of months before i pick the game up again and try to beat that asswipe.

like i said, i've turned into a complete pussy when it comes to game difficulty.
    i played through metroid prime on hard mode and got as far as Thardus, i didn't even bother facing him... just saved the game and turned of my cube. i erased the incomplete hard mode save and started playing through it again on normal, soon after that:dunno:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well I loved the game up to that point but it was because of that bastid that I stopped playing it for 2 months. Loved the game but Fire Leo got me in trouble for swearing loudly at the TV and than at my mother for stating the pointless that the whole street could hear me.
    How much? How much to replace the laser by itself?

Well it would cost 200 yoyos for a new PS2 and almost 100 for the chip and its fitting. Can't get a second hand one since PS2's are so cheaply made and I play mine so much that the same thing would happen in about 6 months. Also can't get it repaired. Sony shops won't touch it because it is chipped and don't know anyone that can replace the laser. I tried cleaning the laser but it didn't help at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

going back to my old PS1 to play FF7/8/9 and finding my mom had saved over my disc3 saves for each game with 'spyro the dragon' 'Crash Bandicoot 3' and 'A bugs life' respectivly.

Advertisement