Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst gaming moment?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Originally posted by tman
    like i said, i've turned into a complete pussy when it comes to game difficulty.
    i played through metroid prime on hard mode and got as far as Thardus, i didn't even bother facing him... just saved the game and turned of my cube. i erased the incomplete hard mode save and started playing through it again on normal, soon after that:dunno:

I'm scared to try hard mode! after the amount of times i got completely pwnd by omega pirate on normal...
    and i have to admit that my worst gaming moment ever does involve metroid prime.
    I'd just beaten thardus for the first time, and then chose the wrong way out of quarantine cave, ie. into the room with the 2 security drones. Got out of this room with 63 energy, out into ruined courtyard. decided 'if I run, i'll make it across to the save station'. got through the door of the save station with 3 energy, having been shot to pieces by the flying pirates... only to be killed INSIDE THE ****ING SAVE STATION by a pirate shot through the still open door.
    /rainbow kirby curls into a ball and cries.

Also being stunned at how crap final fantasy: crystal chronicles was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by rainbow kirby
    only to be killed INSIDE THE ****ING SAVE STATION by a pirate shot through the still open door.
    /rainbow kirby curls into a ball and cries.
    i feel your pain:(

oh yeah, after all this talk of Hulk Davidson beinng a pussy, i thought i'd give viewtiful joe another lash last night.
    that bizatch went down no bother. i still had 5 energy bars left by the end of the fight:)
    its all down to managing you V-guage and keeping an eye on his life guage (when he stops taking damage, do a runner to the opposite side of the room and let your v-guage refill)

just out of interest, how the **** do i break the pink crates?
    i managed to do it purely by fluke once, i'm guessing it's something to do with the pink targets that appear on enemies (which i also don't have a clue about:dunno: )

after playing through pn03, you'd think i'd have a bit of patience when it comes to learning enemies attack patterns.

i guess i'll retract my post about Hulk Davidson being one of my worst gaming moments, due to the insane amounts of gratification i got from whupping his ass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

i played through metroid prime on hard mode and got as far as Thardus, i didn't even bother facing him... just saved the game and turned of my cube. i erased the incomplete hard mode save and started playing through it again on normal, soon after that:dunno:

Next time you come up against him. Climb up the rocks around the edge. You can get high enough so his icy blasts don't get you. He won't hit you when he rolls around either do the only thing you have to worry about are incoming rocks and these are easy as pie. You should finish the battle with full health.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

i feel your pain:(

just out of interest, how the **** do i break the pink crates?
    i managed to do it purely by fluke once, i'm guessing it's something to do with the pink targets that appear on enemies (which i also don't have a clue about:dunno: )

after playing through pn03, you'd think i'd have a bit of patience when it comes to learning enemies attack patterns.

i guess i'll retract my post about Hulk Davidson being one of my worst gaming moments, due to the insane amounts of gratification i got from whupping his ass

you break the pink crates by using mach 3. or the speed up thing. it helps if youve got the highest power mach 3 and then oyu just lay into any of the bad guyson screen and joe flys around everywhere and he eventually kicks the pink box and breaks it. you can getsome cool stuff from them like red bottles which allows you to use V-fx as much as you want for a few minutes.

what's pn-03 like? it looks fairly crap

heh, i never thought of using mach... slow-mo a go-go tbh, much more fun.
    Originally posted by evad_lhorg
    what's pn-03 like? it looks fairly crap
    it'll keep you mildly amused for a few hours, then the monotony sets in. (of scenery and gameplay)
    it's a fairly average game tbh, definitely not worth spending any more than €15 on.
    the outdoor levels are great, god knows why they didn't add a couple more of those... the name 'product number 3' sums it up nicely, minimum input maximum profit...

cheers [CrimsonGhost], i always find him to be one of the most challenging bosses in the game. think i'll start again on hard mode and try for 100% items at the same time :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

probably lots, but getting all the gold coins (is it even gold coins ? its been so long I can't remember), on the desert level in mario 64, the one where if u get caught in the sand drift, u exit the level, almost drove me insane. When I got them all it was the biggest relief tho. But the pain of having to start from scratch each and every time... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    The final missle level in the Mega Drive Probotector gave me nightmares because it was so tough. And it took ages to get there.

do you not mean NES Probotector?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Playing star trek armada 2 the day it came out and then relising it was nothing like the orgianal and was ****. So that day i reinstalled the orginal and completed it again - such a great game and so moddable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I've never played Mario 64 (Don't hate me!) but I do quite like Halo

What an odd sentance...

Loosing my memory card about 3 days ago with my mario kart,Metroid Prime, Zelda,Smash Bros,Viewtiful Joe and Resident Evil Saves on it :( grrr

Final Fantasy X got corrupted around 20 hours in...

Playing Decent ( that what it was called ? )

PC games...too many to mention , Problems with installing , crashing for no reason and general breaking !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 bleh3000

Trying to get 100% in any game, and then finishing it, only to realise that you've only got 99%.

A prime example would be FF-X2. Why oh why does something as stupid as skipping one single cutscene prevent you from reaching 100%? This game can be so f**king stupid at times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Black and white....i really wanted to like that game

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Mine was probably when my GTA3 save was overwritten by my sister. It was on 50% and I do remember punching the wall pretty hard.
    Took me a while to play the game again, it was just so depressing.

Another one was where, I was playing Turtles in Time on the SNES. It was an imported games from America and you had to plug in this adaptor into the SNES and then plug another SNES game into the back of the adaptor. Anyway, I didn't know it would wipe the saves on the game you plugged in, so I lost all my Mario World saves. Never played the Mario World again after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

in X-COM (either UFO or Terror from the Deep)

when you spend about an hour clearing out a level

and then another 2 hours trying to find that last goddamn alien.....

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!

great games...too many gliches

(it is actually against the law not to like mario 64)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Getting really really far in GTA vice city and forgetting to save it:( :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

1, Black & White - what a pile of rubbish that was after so much hype and amazing reviews.

2, Final Fantasy X2 - after the amazing FFX, I wasnt even 2 minutes into X2 and I know it was very dissapointing and it stayed that way to the end. Poor gameplay from Square, some of the most annoying characters ever in a video game.

3. Quake 3
    I thought this game didnt gel like q1 and q2 did, multiplayer was awfull compared to q2, rotten netcode at the time of release and now every server has a different patch or version of q3 running makeing this more hassle than its worth. I didnt like the gameengine much either.

4. DREAMCAST console
    This was an excellent console with excellent games, sega's plans to kill off this console very soon and stop making consoles killed this excellent machine over night.

5. Zelda Windwaker
    At first I thought this was ok but the more I played it the more annoyed I got with all that water, endless water... tooing and frooing constantly on that water.... gave up after that fire & ice place.

6. Playstation 2 console.
    Over all I am very dissapointed with this machine, underpowered and overpriced even when released, the gfx looked dated after a year compared to the ps1 which looked better for a far longer time. My main dissapointment tho are the games themselves.. nothing but sequels and poor ones at that. eg. wipeout fusion (i was a huge wipeout fan on ps1), tekkan tag, tomb raider, FFx-2, and many more. Only good titles imo were ICO, FFX and GTA3 at the time.

7. STEAM
    I love CS and Half Life but gawd it was better without steam and all its trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Doom on the Snes, played it right until the second last level, was right at the end of it. And was killed by a shotgun guy.... the puniest of all badies. I just beat a Cyberdemon at close range with a rocketlauncher, but a stupid shotgun guy was my downfall!

I was so angry I threw the joypad down, and smacked reset.

I nearly cried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

SNES D00M rocked, after a while you didn't even see the huge black borders.

Worst gaming moment hmmm, one that springs to mind is where you go to play DeusEx for the second time, thinking to yourself "cool I'm gonna do it differently this time", only to realise that you're not really given the freedom you thought you had :(

Also - Buying a game because you like how it looks on the back of the box, only to bring it home and find out it's totaly shit.
    I'm sure we've all learned that lesson the hard way... always get a demo of it first.
    Although that was in the bad-old-days where retailers were ultra-snotty about returning games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

do you not mean NES Probotector?

No definitely, Mega Drive Probotector.

Originally posted by SantaHoe
    SNES D00M rocked, after a while you didn't even see the huge black borders.
    god i loved that game:D
    after playing the shareware version on a pc with a b&w monitor and no sound card, i was totally blown away when i first slapped that cart into my snes:)
    strafing left and right felt so natural on a console pad.

another worst gaming moment for me;
    finishing Quake on nightmare, hoping that there's be some kind of extra nod of recognition towards your general hardkoerness:(
    bastids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

Originally posted by The Real B-man
    Getting really really far in GTA vice city and forgetting to save it:( :rolleyes:

Yeah, call of duty is a b*llocks for that aswell. It automatically saves your position in the game, but that's only while your playing, you have to save it by yourself if you want to get back to that position after quiting the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Originally posted by i_am_dogboy
    Black and white....i really wanted to like that game

Soul destroying game teaching your damn stupid animal to pick up a ball and trow it took ****ing hours .....and that mouse movement spell caster was a pain in the ass i played it for 2-3 days (around 7 hours over all) wast of 30 pound or what ever it was then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

I played Lemmings on the Amiga for a full 24 hours breaking only briefly for the toilet and a sandwich. Not a gaming feat in itself but the hallucinations which followed will stay with me to the grave.

I walked down the stairs and turned on tv. I was watching The Bill (early 90's so Tosh was alive and well) and suddenly all I could see was the stairs-building lemming working his way across the screen. This went on for a good 30 minutes, even when I closed my eyes, the little fella was reaching in his sack to get another brick........

worst and best all in 1!!

...meeting the guys from gamezville is a close second. how i controlled my fists is beyond me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I thought B&W was alright actually.
    The mouse spells weren't too bad once you learned to do them very quickly using small mouse movements, it becomes second nature after a few days.
    I did get fed up with trying to teach my creature though, so I mostly let him roam around by himself, pooping on houses and eating villagers.
    I got to that last level versus Nemesis, but I just gave up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Originally posted by karlh2001

...meeting the guys from gamezville is a close second. how i controlled my fists is beyond me...

You should of killed them so the guru could take over..........or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Originally posted by Praetorian
    No definitely, Mega Drive Probotector.

ko, it was preceeded by a NES Version tho :) I had it.

[edit] added link

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There have been Probotector/Contra games on almost every format.

Another worst moment is FFX-2. Why did I waste money on it.

Another was a pact I did with Praetorian. We both had to play a game we hated. I had to play through Unreal. Prae had Deus Ex. Prae ended up loving Deus Ex. I got a raw deal. What a polished turd of a game.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

worms 3D it simply was a terrible gaming moment more so because its earlier titles were excellent fun:(

Another was a pact I did with Praetorian. We both had to play a game we hated. I had to play through Unreal. Prae had Deus Ex. Prae ended up loving Deus Ex. I got a raw deal. What a polished turd of a game.
    unreal 1 or 2?
    i actaully enjoyed unreal 2 (despite only getting round to finishing it yesterday)

unreal 1 was fairly... smeh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Dolan84

Having my then favourite game Gunstar Heroes stolen by a prick that took a lend of it and moved house the next day.

lol and i thought i was the only person who didn't like you!

I thought the end of farcry was dissapointing, not the WORST GAMING MOMENT!1 ever but it was a bit ghey. I suppose the most sickening moment was losing a tfc cup final to MDB.

I joined MDB shortly after :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭[DF]Lenny

Overwriting my 20 year+ career in CM2 with Halifax Town European Champions cos of a friggin virus! I've since learnt my lesson and no longer play games long enough to save anything of any use.

Advertisement