Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yu-gi-oh!

Options
  • 31-05-2004 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭

I enjoy the series and over the weekend a friend showed me how to play the game and gave me my first deck *aw* :P

Anyway just wondering does anyone else play?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Unless its 1000% better than the cartoon (every second episode is the same) then: no and never!

Got more info on the card game? Its about the only thing possibly redeemable from the cartoon and I don't see how it can have anything on MTG apart from kids being able to play. However, that just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I've never played MTG or any other game like these so i can't make a comparison, but here's instructions on how the game is played: http://www.upperdeckentertainment.com/yugioh/train.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Yu-Gi-Oh is a bit of a kids game, play Magic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Skylerr

I play and if you want to find more players go to www.skylerr.tk. As for it being a kids game. It now has its own $10,000 pro tour. The top players in the world are all in their 20's. There is nothing wrong with magic but I find that its tournament players are far too involved in the game. And not the word game. Its still a game and should be fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Thank god I've never come across a CCG for Beyblade. That would just be a bit too much, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I've played it, well, the gameboy version, and its a pretty good game, I wouldnt rate it as well as MTG, but its a lot easier to understand, better for the kiddies

MTG board

Join us azezil...join us....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

the thing thats wrong with the yu-gi-oh game is that its too easy to play big powerful cards, whereas in magic, big cards are harder to play (just compare Raigeki and Plague Wind for instance, raigeki can just be played like any other card, but plague wind is never going to see play because of its impossible playing cost). i have to admit that the yu-gi-oh game is fun though, although not as rewarding and strategic as MTG. an other interesting point to note is that Yu-Gi-Oh cards are in general more valuable than MTG cards, eg Insect Princess can fetch up to €40, a full set of egyptian gods is worth about €70 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MatthewVII

and you've just gotta enjoy winning the game on turn 1, which is insanely easy to pull of in yu-gi-oh, eg Scapegoat-Dark Hole-Last Will, swing to win. and theres always the Lord of Dragons + 2 Flutes of Summoning Dragon + 3 blue eyes and whatever other badass dragon you want. Muy Bueno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

I had a Yu-gi-oh deck...

quite fun, easy to get into

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Yeah, it is a really good game.

Its not as simplistic as people make it out to be though.

It can get very complicated really quickly. Which is a big problem at the moment as they havent really ironed out the rules just yet so nobody really knows what way to go.

The lads at www.4lakesgames.com have been running regular events around the country for the past few months. They almost had the first Irish nationals sorted out but it fell through at the last minute. Should be organising one for next year though.

As for any kind of relationship between the cartoon and the card game, I have laughed so hard watching the cartoon since I started playing the card game. Every five minutes during a "duel" they would use some card and I would be falling on the floor laughing at the really shíte cards they would use.

Stay away from exodia unless its the defensive one, dont use that card that lets you pay life to summon a fusion card as you will most likely loose to a bell of destruction or mirror force or something irritating like that.

Anyway, its a great game, not as good as magic mind and I forsee it becoming very much like MTG in terms of the player base. Once people realise there are $1,000's to be made from the game and their main competition is pre-teens it will most likely become very competitive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ben Tovermen

i got hooked on yu-gi-oh and recently got my friend into it - i love the cartoon series and have only lost a few games - n i want my card back az

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

haha come get it :P
    and i want toon world back! >_<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Slack_Jaw

i got hooked on it and now i go to most tornuments in the dublin, carlow or waterford area great game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Originally posted by Sarky
    Thank god I've never come across a CCG for Beyblade. That would just be a bit too much, I think.

I spoke too soon. I saw it on sale in my local.

Now where did I put that noose?

Advertisement