Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ClickSilver with own modem?

• 31-05-2004 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi,

I am thinking of availing of UTV's 4 months free trial. I was also thinking of buying a wireless modem, router and firewall unit and was wondering if this is possible with UTV's clicksilver package. If it is possible does anybody have any recommendations on a modem/router.

Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

I'm using Clicksilver with my own modem/router at the moment and it works fine. Should be grand with the wireless config as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 smceneaney

Cheers MarVeL,

Can you recommend a modem? Any ideas on a price?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

PC World are doing a Belkin ADSL Modem/Router/Wireless Unit for 129.99 euro and the wireless cards are 49.99

Got one last week and up and running with Clicksilver no probs at all ....

Cool. Thanks Couch Potato. I saw an ad for that one in the paper. I might give that one a go. Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

clicksilver has always been grand for me with my own netgear modem & wireless router

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You will still have to pay the €99 fee, and probably still be sent the UTV modem as well. The €99 is to cover eircom's charge to them for connecting a new DSL user.

I use a d-link router with my clicksilver account, the UTV modem is shoved in a drawer somewhere.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I have a vague recollection that there was a post somewhere in the User group saying that they gave a small reduction if you did not need a modem? A call to UTV should provide the answer fairly rapidly.

Thanks for all the posts. Will fire off an email to UTVinternet to see if they do offer a discount when a modem is required. I'll post the response.

I got a very prompt response from UTVinternet. Fair play to them. I've included it below.

Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 9:59 AM
    Subject: Broadband question

We normally reduce the cost of installation and modem by €30 if a modem is not required.

Malcolm Thompson
    Operations Manager
    UTV Internet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭weemcd

how is utv broadband for games? im on utvip xl atm and i cant even join q3 servers and i was wondering if anyone has the same problem with clicksilver.

• Advertisement

Its alright but not the best. Pings better to UK servers than Irish ones. Pings are a good 30 ms higher than eircom. A few months back it was dire pingwise, but they've really pulled the finger out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭weemcd

im in the north btw, i wonder would this effect it? my area isnt broadband enabled till september so ive plenty of time do decide on an ip

Yeah i think its better in the north because they don't use the poxy Energis/nevada/whatever they're called network up there (as far as I know). See if you can find any of their existing DSL customers up north and ask them about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭dec2000

Hmm thats strange - I emailed UTV about this also, before i saw this post and i was told the €99 is for setting it up and the modem is supplied free of charge for Clicksilver users. Returning the modem would not result in any decrease...so i was told :confused:

As for the Belkin wireless - I was looking at getting this one - would you recommend it? Just on a side note - is there such a thing as a wirelss router on its own that will work with the USB modem UTV supply? Are is an all - in - one the best way to go?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I rang as well and was told that there wasn't any reduction for supplying my own kit...so the modem is sitting in its box doing sfa..

Guys, you can quote the message I posted from Malcolm in UTV. Maybe they won't offer a refund after the event.

Cheers,

Shane

btw How are you finding the response time/service from UTV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭dec2000

I was waiting two days for a reply when I emailed them but the mail opened with sorry for the delay which was fair enough.

I have rang twice for various issues and I was never waiting - they usually answer within two rings.

The broadband service - I have only being using since last friday but it seems to be good! I do notice that sometimes it can be slower than usual but this hasnt happened often

So really is the UTV USB modem useless unless your using a direct connection to one computer?

It came in handy when I accidentally nuked my router's firmware :)

luckily I was able to get online using the UTV modem and download the files i needed to restore the firmware.

You could also use it to share your connection between PC's using NAT (or windows internet connection sharing which is NAT+DHCP with a nice fuzzy name). If you already have a DSL router though the usb modem is not much use.

Advertisement