Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Modify 125 A1 bike to make it A

Options
  • 31-05-2004 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have a Van Van 125...is there an easy/cheap way to modify it so I could do a driving test on it for class A bikes..I was told by the driving test place that I need a bike bigger than 125cc for the test...I can't use a driving school eg ISM bike cos well i'm pretty short - the van van is the perfect size for me and their bikes are too big for me...
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Are you thinking or reboring the cylinder to bring it up to 150? I would reckon that it needs precision engineering in order not to wreck the engine. I guess you'd be picking up pistons from a larger bike and fitting them.
    Then you'd have to get some independent certification that your modified bike is over 150cc capacity for the driving test.

Simpler solution: got a mate with a bigger bike? Insure it for the day of the test or transfer your own to it. Or another possible: arrange to have your bike serviced on the day of the test and try to get a loaner of 150cc or greater.

How tall are you? I did a lesson in ISM 2 years ago and didn't think the saddle was that high. IIRC it was a 250. Can't remember what bikes they use but webiste shows a Suzuki GN125.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Hi,

I have no idea what a van-van is but there are kits available to replace piston/barrell/head to increase the engine capacity for a lot of 125cc bikes.

TBH, its rarely worth the trouble.

Even if everything goes perfectly & you don't get a circlip embedded in your nice shiny new piston (happened to my mate), the power increase is very small.

Its not going to be easy, cheap or worth it.

P.S. ZZR250 - Great short peoples bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Originally posted by tk123
    Hi All,

I have a Van Van 125...is there an easy/cheap way to modify it so I could do a driving test on it for class A bikes..I was told by the driving test place that I need a bike bigger than 125cc for the test...I can't use a driving school eg ISM bike cos well i'm pretty short - the van van is the perfect size for me and their bikes are too big for me...
    cheers

You're too short for a Suzuki TUX250 which is a smaller bike than the Van Van? This is the bike the ISM will give you for the test, it's so small it's practically a monkey bike / mini-moto.

Btw - even if you modified your 125 to have a larger capacity the original manufacturers sepcification would still say 125cc which is all the tester will read. Your tax disc will also still say 125cc and he will look at this.

The TUX is a grand bike for the test. Rental from ISM for 2 hours for the test is about €120 or so which includes the tax disc and insurance for the duration, which isn't a bad deal really. You also get a 1 hour pre-test lesson from an instructor who rides over with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I didn't try the ISM bike - but from what you're saying it sounds ok Mojo. I was thinking that I prob would fit on it - it's jst a bit embarrasing when you don't!!:p ... Anyhoo sorry everyone for asking a stupid question...!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Wasn't a silly question. Getting bikes to fit is a valid concern for smaller riders, but rest assured the seat on the Suzuki TUX 250 over at the ISM is pretty low and the bike is quite small and nimble. You should have no problems whatsoever. Google a bit for the exatc specs and compare them to the Van Van.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

the vanvan is actually a tall enough bike even though it dont look or feel it! i love mine soooooooo much. most racing bikes are short enough, just keep away frm the average traillie really.

how tall are you? my dad had a friend who was barely five feet and drove a gold wing, she was a nut though....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

i'm 5-1. I've been thinking of maybe getting something like a Virago for a while now but then someone will come along and tell me the Van Van is cool and then I change my mind again!!!

Advertisement