Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quick questions - buying a car.

Options
  • 31-05-2004 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been covered before! Can anyone tell me quickly:

1. How to check out if the car you are about to buy has any outstanding finance on it (I know this service is available in the UK, what about here?)

2. If I want to get a mechanic to check out a car before I buy it, what is the best way to do this (I don't know any mechanic within 20 miles of where I am buying the car) - is there anyone who offers this service?

Thanks,

Genghis

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭kahlua

I know there is a number that you can ring and they'll do a search on the car, make sure it's not a leased car etc. but you should ask for registration forms or the log book of the car.

Also check to make sure NCT is done on the car, should give you a good insight into what shape the car is in. Or else ask the owner to take it to a garage for inspection. Or you can ask for receipts see when it was last serviced etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Genghis

2. If I want to get a mechanic to check out a car before I buy it, what is the best way to do this (I don't know any mechanic within 20 miles of where I am buying the car) - is there anyone who offers this service?

the AA does this. I got a full inspection done on my focus before I bought it. The engineer went out to the garage. I think I payed about 2 or 300 for the full inspection although you can get cheaper depending on what you want him to check. You get a detailed report sent out to you after he rings you

Advertisement