Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

babys/ young children in cinema

• 31-05-2004 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭

what are peoples opinions on parents bringing very young kids or babies into the cinema? im not talking about whether the film in question is suitable for the child. im also obviously not talking about watching kids films, where you'd expect kids to be in the cinema.

what i mean is the inconvienience to other people in the cinema, when a kid starts whinging.

i watched the day after 2moro last night and it struck me on my way in that there were a couple young kids in the cinema(i mean under 5) and 1 baby in pram. didnt think any more about it.

there was a bit of whining 1/2 way through, nothing major, but for about a minute or 2 everyone was aware that there was a child in there and id say most couldnt hear what was being said. then the kid was silenced, and not another peep for the duration.

it just got me thinking about it. i can see where parents would be coming from just wanting a night out at cinema etc, but i dont think i was ever brought to the cinema when i was very young unless it was a childs film, and i know id never bring an infant or small child unless it was a kids film, just because i dont think its appropriate to inconvienience everyone. what do you reckon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭bugler

I would have thought the cinema would be very loud for young children. I'm not in favour of it, but I suppose you have to think of the parents too. Provided they are alert to the fact that prolonged crying is unfair on other people and step outside when/if it happens it's alright with me I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭LazStanaridis

Does this mean that you stop people from laughing at a funny scene in a film coz chances are you will not hear what is being said while the laughter continues....

Where do you draw the line on noise in the cinema?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I don't see a problem with parents bringing very young kids to movies provided it's somthing the kids can follow and are interested in, but bringing a baby into a loud, dark cinema for two or three hours doesn't seem sensible to me. Also, I don't think a parent has the right to force that possible annoyance on other movie viewers.

The point is that this kind of noise is in a similar vein as people talking continuously during a film or making noise that obviously annoys other viewers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

Originally posted by LazStanaridis
    Does this mean that you stop people from laughing at a funny scene in a film coz chances are you will not hear what is being said while the laughter continues....

no it dosent. i dont see where i said id stop people from laughing anywhere. its a silly comparision. laughter is a reaction to something thats happening in a film, so is screaming at a scary part or crying at a sad part.

a noisy child is completely differant. more akin to somebody talking on a mobile phone in a cinema thatn laughter surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by LazStanaridis

Thats incomparable. For one thing, I think it's unfair bringing a baby into the cinema because it is very loud and must be quite scary for the child.
    And another thing, it's almost inevitable the child will cry/start whining/start running about, and most of the times i've seen this happen the parents don't bother stepping outside with the child at all! It's just so incredibly rude.
    This, and knackery little kids watching films they are obviously underage for, talking all the way through, throwing popcorn at each other, kicking seats - and then when someone gets the manager they act like angels - are a big reason I don't go to the cinema much anymore.

Toddlers should NOT be allowed into adult films, end of. Neither should underage children, but the people working in the cinemas don't give a crap about the law and turn a blind eye, something should be done about this IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I had this exact experience during The Passion Of The Christ, where this couple brought a baby in with them, and the fecking thing was SCREAMING throughout the entire film.

It's beyond beleif that the parents were ignoreant to the point of cruelty in bringing the child with them, and that the cinema would actually let them bring a baby (Not even a year old, I wouldn't have thought) into a film in the first place. ****ers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

They should have a minimum age for entry. The sinema isn't suitable for a child under 4, maybe even 7, imo.

Advertisement