Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting my apartment phone line reconnected... couple of q's

Options
  • 31-05-2004 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭

alright. with all the talk of free broadband trials, now would seem to be the perfect time to whet my beak in some high speed internet acshun.

first of all, my apartment already has a phone line, which seems to have been connected at one stage. (there's a phone line going from the socket in the kitchen into my bedroom.)
    from this page, i'm guessing that i'll only have to pay €24.18 per month plus the €24.99 connection fee (please god, don't let it be €129.99:eek: )
    not really a question as such, i'm just hoping someone can put my mind at ease.

secondly; i have no idea what the phone number of my apartment is, and as such can't check if my line passes any providers bb tests.
    neither my landlord, nor the owners of the building seem to have a clue what it is. i've tried calling eircom (1901 and then 4 iirc) without any luck - the ****ercunts told me they were going to transfer me, followed by me being dumped back to the main menu. i don't have the patience to go through this again.
    any ideas about which number/email address i could try using to find out the number of my phone line?

sorry about the long windedness of all this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I don't think it will have a number assigned to it until it is reconnected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

plug in fone, dial 199000

what happens, if it talks back a number (any number) the fee is €25 as it is a reconnect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

so... i can't really find out whether i'll be able to get BB until i've paid the €25 connection fee.
    thats a bit of a cuntybollocks:mad:
    i'll grab an old phone next time i'm down home and try that 199000 trick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Originally posted by Muck
    plug in fone, dial 199000

what happens, if it talks back a number (any number) the fee is €25 as it is a reconnect.

What is that number (other than the NSA incident tracking number!)?

.cg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

Yes 199000 will work if the line is active

also if the line has been disconx more than one year its €129 foir the reconx

also it will take 2 weeks for the line to be reactivated and a further week to update you line to see if it passes for DSL and then another 2 weeks for the DSL install.

Im in the same situation at the moment in my new house

• Advertisement

Originally posted by the Guru
    Yes 199000 will work if the line is active

also if the line has been disconx more than one year its €129 foir the reconx

also it will take 2 weeks for the line to be reactivated and a further week to update you line to see if it passes for DSL and then another 2 weeks for the DSL install.

Im in the same situation at the moment in my new house
    sweet jesus, and thats only if everything goes smoothly:eek:
    prolly be more like 2 months from now before i get bb (if at all)

Originally posted by the Guru

also it will take 2 weeks for the line to be reactivated

Took me about 2 mins the last time I did it, told Biddy I was the homeowner who had just bought the gaff. Never signed no contracts neither :D

€25 on the first bill. 199000 worked though

M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

but what is the number that 199000 calls out to you? Not the phone number or the account number.. is it the line number or summit?

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

I had this exact issue there about 2 weeks ago:
    1)ring eircom 1909 r what ever it is, it should work even on a disconnected line
    2) Fone line is activated usually within an hour(took mine 10mins)
    3) You will have been assigned a number but you can't ask for your line to be test for dsl for 3 or so days until the fact u activated your line filters through their system.
    4) Line testing took 5 working days exactly(as they said) in my case...and it passed...waiting on stuff from esat now, orderd dsl on monday.

Cost was the 29euro for install and 24.99 for line rental ongoing.

Originally posted by cgarvey
    but what is the number that 199000 calls out to you? Not the phone number or the account number.. is it the line number or summit?

It calls out the previous number, if it was disconnected you ring it and get a number not in service message. Otherwise the number was transferred elsewhere in the area. Out of service is best for you.

Now you can ring 1800512128 and ask them if it passed the DSL test WHILE IT WAS CONNECTED , they can tell you if it did so the same line will pass next time too. It musta been your line because the number is now out of service and not transferred to another line.

Get a name at 1800512128 and tell them you'll ring back with the new number which will replace the number which registers as pass in the database. Order reconnect from 1901 and ring em back with the new number, a supervisor on 1800512128 can kludge it straight into the database for ya.

Now your ADSL order is live in one day for a few phonecalls . You must ring Eircom if you are in a hurry, the other carriers will not have the data for 2 weeks .

M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

Originally posted by cgarvey
    What is that number (other than the NSA incident tracking number!)?

.cg

its called an ANAC number

which stands for Automatic Number Announcement Circuit... it reads back the number of the line that called it, also works on most public payphones... or you could ring the other four digit code eircom gives out to techies within co. and outside who install phone systems which then requires a 4 pin code.. ;)

try 199017 , its a ringback number

call up the switch , hang up ; pick up again, hang up and the switch calls back the line that rang it.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I had this issue a couple of years ago and a major battle with Eircom over the connection fee (they wanted to charge me €129 for connection) and I beat them!

Firstly. Eircom rarely disconnect lines like in the old days. If you connect a handset you should hear a tone. Stay on the line for a few moments and it will connect you to Eircom sales. You can also make 999/112 calls. If you don't hear a tone you do have problems!

The next problem is when was the line last active. If it hasn't been active (in an account name) they will charge you the €129. Don't accept it! Put the boot in and tell them you ain't paying etc. Use the potential of broadband to negotiate and the fact that there are now other operators out there.

I ended up paying the lower connection charge after a 4 week battle that included engineers pretending to be from accounts visiting my apt! Ultimately it was working with the engineer and not sales who got me connected!

bah!
    i tried the 199000 trick last night and have just used the number given with digiweb and iol's availability tests. seems that my local exchange isn't enabled:(

not sure whether to go with dial up or isdn now (hopefully ntl sort out Galway with some cable goodness:( )

Advertisement