Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Im looking for info on overclocking the athlon fx51 on a mach II system

Options
  • 31-05-2004 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭

Im looking for info on overclocking the athlon fx51 on a mach II system
    i bought an fx51 and the nventiv mach II cooling system.

which is the best board and ram to get for overclocking

i heard the sk8n you can change the multipliers, but i was also told the sk8v was better for overclocking??????????????

Which is the best ram to get, i saw OCZ pc3500 registered memory, but was told muskin PC3200 reg was d best to get????????

I reckon i should be able to get between 2.8ghz and 3.0ghz out of d fx51 wit the mach II. But i dont know which is the best board/ram and method to use.

anyone know wat to use to get a kickass overclock outa d fx51????

please help

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Its hard to know. While I'm on the socket 754 AMD 64 CPU's I have not really been keeping up to date with the 940 socket format but I'm in the same boat regards stock clock speed of 2.2Ghz and using a MACH II cooler. First thing you should do is wait for nforce 250 or 250GB boards to come out or the new VIA chipsets. These will all have working PCI locks which will allow for better overclocks than the nforce 150 and current VIA K8T800 chipsets. These boards will be out any time now on socket 754 not sure about 940 though. The difference between GB and non GB boards is gigabit speed lans....a feature unique to AMD 64 processor motherboard. The two boards I have heard the most impressive things about are the Chaintech VNF3- 250 (will be a 250GB out shortly after) with a working PCI LOCK and a max front side bus of 400 and the Epox 8KDA3+ with a FSB of 350 and GB lan. If these boards make it over to socket 940 those will probably the boards to go for.

Memory wise you will want to go for something with a higherbandwidth of PC3200 otherwise you will be limited in your overclock. The higher the bandwidth the less good your timings will be but not really a problem. You should really look for ram that will clock up to PC4000 or over 500mhz.

I have seen FX 51's overclocked to 2.9ghz on a mach II with a bit of coaxing but you probably get to 2.8ghz much more easy and with less stability issues. That will equal over a 4 ghz p4. Not bad at all.

What other components you putting into your machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Some info here with these guys, my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭BeatFreak

Originally posted by Azza
    The difference between GB and non GB boards is gigabit speed lans....a feature unique to AMD 64 processor motherboard.

Erm, no it's not Gigabit ethernet has been available on recent P4 boards for some time now.

Advertisement