Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

should tj ryan get jail?

• 31-05-2004 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

unbelivably dirty stroke

yellow card

what a joke

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

It was dirty and he should have been off, but I do not really like the idea of a legal settlement to a sporting row. I know that at times it could be neccessary but I just do not like the principal of it. Also, while it was a bad strike, I have seen plenty worse delivered in my day, both as a player and a spectator and if you are going to call the Gardai in over this one, not many matches will not go by without them being called in, and then it is just a waste of everyones time, and a fair portion of taxpayers money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭SAXA

Look no one died. The guy was waring a helmet. Next time he might not try to shoulder someone bigger then him off the ball. It a mans game. It deserved a yellow card but no more. TJ pushed the hurley against him (high ok) but did not strike him which is a sending off offence. All these thing look worse in slow motion anyways. TJ Ryan is not a dirty player and never has been. It was a heat of the moment exchange not like the premeditated stuff that happens in football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

Kelter - stick to soccer , where players get jail for beating their wives and raping women and leave GAA alone.

It was a dirty clip and he should of gotten the line but as the previous poster said no-one died. First round of the championship, and passions were high. IMO Anyone who calls for TJ Ryan to be arrested has no understanding of GAA.

I think that because GAA has become "sexy" for the general public at the moment you get a lot of people who have neither played or attended many matches (club or county) who express opinions about a sport they do not understand. If you think it was a yellow or red card that fine, its up to the individual but to call for his arrest after it is silly. Half of the football teams in the north would be serving sentences if this was allowed. I have see absolute acts of tuggery on the field that should have warranted investigation but this was not one of them. Most of them at club match I might add. Nothing like a bit of neighbourly parish rivalry to get the blood going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

Kelter..you want back up your reasoning for saying Ryan should go to jail ?

I think your a bit mad and all the points made previously here highlight that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

didn't see it myself, but heard it was a tad dirty.

now, my understanding is that if he did serious damage to the opposing player, charges can be brought against him and *possible* jail time.

[incident a while ago where this happened]

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭stevemac

i'd think the cork lad was playing up a bit. Only saw it once on tv but he was wearing a helmet so why did he stay down? shock?

i'd also say that if ryan was sent of so should the cork guy have being sent off. Buts mainly because i think if you started it or if the other guy was just reacting to what you did then ye both should go.
    ok the cork lad (yep, i don't know his name :confused: ) barely touched him when he pushed him but if he didn't push ryan then ryan wouldn't have reacted.

i'd think the cork lad was playing up a bit. Only saw it once on tv but he was wearing a helmet so why did he stay down? shock?

The way I saw it I thought that Ryan struck him with the but of a hurl through the mask and that is why he stayed down.
    ok the cork lad (yep, i don't know his name ) barely touched him when he pushed him but if he didn't push ryan then ryan wouldn't have reacted.

I think that is a touch ridiculous. Are you saying that there is no such thinhg as an over reaction. A push does not deserve a hurl in the face at any time. It is still a contact sport and jostling and pushing is always going to happen. It is a part of the game but it is up to the ref to penalise it if he deems it serious enough.

from my view Ryan started it all .. the lad he hit did react but as waylander says it didnt deserve a hurl in the face.

Im not so sure if the butt of the hurl made it past the face guard but never the less it was a rough strike. I would have gone down ( but I doubt there was any need to stay down for so long) ~

There is no debating he should have been sent off... but to even suggust jail is crazy talk. its not like he attacked him from behind oe caused massive injuries....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Kelter

Look no one died. The guy was waring a helmet. Next time he might not try to shoulder someone bigger then him off the ball. It a mans game. It deserved a yellow card but no more.

The fact that the Jonathon O'Callaghan was wearing a helmet was not the issue, Attempting to break a jaw is no less a crime than succeeding.
    Next time he might not try to shoulder someone bigger then him off the ball.

So are you suggesting that smaller players should allow larger players to walk all over them and if they do tackle the larger player has the right to hit them in the face with a piece of ash

It deserved a yellow card but no more

Well I won't even bother!

Kelter - stick to soccer , where players get jail for beating their wives and raping women and leave GAA alone.

Funny guy.... I like that uninformed trash talk
    Anyone who calls for TJ Ryan to be arrested has no understanding of GAA.

I am, and have been a hurling man all my life and have been involved in many's the rough game, but my understanding of GAA is not about off the ball instances and retaliation. My understanding is in toughness in the game itself. I realise that players are amateurs and it would be terrible if they met sanctions for something they did during play, but this was not an incident during play.

If a player trashes another players car after the game in retaliation for a hard tackle I think you would all see my point (except for mightymouse and saxa who are idiots)
    who have neither played or attended many matches (club or county) who express opinions about a sport they do not understand

I have played hurling since I was 6 and attend all Clare match since(though I doubt I will get to many this year). I also attend as many other championship match in both hurling and football as I can.
    I was watch last weeks game on tv however.

Maybe I still don't match up to your person who understands hurling but I guess some people will never learn.

Kelter..you want back up your reasoning for saying Ryan should go to jail ?

just getting to it... I promise

The other posters have made excellant and fair points

The idea of criminal charges being brought against any player of any sport due to something which takes place during a game is not something I am in favour of. Infact I would be with all the posters on that one.

However how many here would disagree with criminal proceedings against an incident which happens after a game... in the carpark for example(I think there's a case of it in a Sligo club match last year.)

The actions of TJ ryan were also not part of the game as he the ball was long gone. This was a pure act of thuggery. The increase in off the ball getting to know you injuries, while exciting(I know I shouted in satisfaction at a few myself) is not something which can be tollerated in GAA, unless they which to start up a new sport called boxing.

Can I also point out that the level of injury suffered by O'Callaghan is not really relivent as the intent was still there. I personally have recieved face injuries(thats right I'm not a pretty boy) despite wearing a helmet. Had O'Callaghan not been wearing a helmet(an option open to all adults) and he lost a number of teeth/eyes/jaw, would you all be seeing things differently.

I think such an attitude is quite ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I'm all against cowardly blows. I'd have no problem with James McCartan getting jail for smashing the Larkin of Westmeath's jaw last year.

But the TJ Ryan incident has been blown out of all proportion IMO. He kept his hand on the handle of the hurl, which restricted the strength of the blow. There was no intention to break a jaw or to cause injury. If O'Callaghan had not been wearing a helmet Ryan wouldnt have touched his head. Ryan just got thick and acted stupidly. There was no pain caused or intended. Just a little slap. Handbags. He deserved a red card, and it would have been a silly thing to get sent off for.

Originally posted by stevemac

i'd also say that if ryan was sent of so should the cork guy have being sent off. Buts mainly because i think if you started it or if the other guy was just reacting to what you did then ye both should go.
    ok the cork lad (yep, i don't know his name :confused: ) barely touched him when he pushed him but if he didn't push ryan then ryan wouldn't have reacted.

agree completly. o'callaghan and ryan should have walked and would have i think had it not been such an early stage of the game.

as for jail sure wasnt it good enough for big duncan ferguson if anyone remembers.
    a vicious assault is a vicious assault and it might be an effective way of getting that filth out of sport.

I think you are being a tad harsh there. Tempers are always going to go in a serious match like this. I do not know him well enough, but I have heard such an action is uncharacteristic for TJ. If this is the case I think a sentence would be ridiculous. These guys have a lot of pressure heaped onto them by fans from their county, and they are only amatuer. You cannot then punish them that severely if they overreact to certain situations. I am not saying there should be a blanket suspension of the law when it comes to sporting events, but that was not nearly a bad enough strike to merit getting anyone other then the ref involved. A sending off would have been punishment enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

The fact that the Jonathon O'Callaghan was wearing a helmet was not the issue, Attempting to break a jaw is no less a crime than succeeding.
    It doesnt matter that O Callaghan was wearing a helmut and face guard!!!
    Funny guy.... I like that uninformed trash talk
    Yes, I'm the uninformed one talking trash!
    I am, and have been a hurling man all my life and have been involved in many's the rough game, but my understanding of GAA is not about off the ball instances and retaliation.
    I really doubt you are a hurling man. If you are I find it hard to believe your calling for jail!! Of coarse the GAA is not "about" off the ball retaliation but at the end of the day neither is rugby or Aussie Rules. While the authorities have done a good job in stamping it out.........it's still part of a physical game. Ie a mans game.
    If a player trashes another players car after the game in retaliation for a hard tackle I think you would all see my point
    I can see the point your trying to make but at the end of the day, it happened on the field of "play", "during" a game.
    I have played hurling since I was 6 and attend all Clare match since(though I doubt I will get to many this year). I also attend as many other championship match in both hurling and football as I can
    I'm really struggling to believe this. If its true can I ask have you never taken a dirty blow and if you did were criminal charges brought? If not, why not?
    The idea of criminal charges being brought against any player of any sport due to something which takes place during a game is not something I am in favour of.
    But you think TJ Ryan should get jail?:confused:
    Can I also point out that the level of injury suffered by O'Callaghan is not really relivent as the intent was still there
    the fact that he wasnt injured doesnt play even a small part in whether he should go to jail or not!

PS
    on re-read my previous point about soccer sounded a little harsh. What I meant was that there are many "soccer" elements creaping into the GAA. Elements I'm opposed to. When talking about criminal charges English Soccer has an element outside the game which is in part a lot different the the GAA family oriented culture.

Guys, I think this has been an excellent debate apart from a couple of flames and personal insults. a PM has been sent to the guilty parties and any more will result in a short ban.

Thanks

Alan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

What exactly is a flame? (Just so I dont burn anyone!)

"Troll" is another term I see on some of the boards, but that goes over my head too.:dunno:

Flaming or trolling is deliberately posting a comment just to start a serious row or wind up fellow posters.

Some Links :

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=troll&f=1

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=129605

basically I try to watch out for People needlessly insulting others or looking to pick a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭gaelic cowboy

If it is against the rules of the GAA it's just wrong but an assault is against the law of the land seriosly hurting another person is wrong on the sport field or not westmeaths Kenny Larkin anyone ???????

There are massive differances between Ryan and larkin IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭gaelic cowboy

True

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I was in Croker yesterday and towards the end of the Laois game, as a fair few people prob saw as it was a sending off, one of the Meath lads decided a kick in the face was merited to a chap lying on the ground. Pure thuggery and not even in a situation where there could be raised tempers or anything. I reckon suspension for moves like that should be measured in years. Anyone esle see it and what you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭stevemac

yeah saw him kick parkinson. cheap shot.
    some niggley incidents in the match.

Just so those who think that the incident was an unprovoked attack do not get the wrong in of the stick. Ryan had his tooth knocked out by O Callaghan in the incident leading up to that. Did not see TJ fall to the ground like a Italian soccer player. There was nothing wrong with O Callaghan. Saying that the incident was highly illegal but was an act of retaliation. Not pretty but understandable. It was handled by the ref and has not be deemed worthy of investigation by the Croke Park

Advertisement