Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New quyalifying

• 31-05-2004 4:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭

Anyone catch exactly what the new Qualifying format is to be brought in at Silverstone. I know its 2 20 min sessions and something to do with aggregate times.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Low fuel.
    Can change fuel & tyres before race. (Tho compound probably still has to be the same, has been like that for years).
    Aggregate times.

Dunno how many laps each drivers gets per session tho. Hope it goes ahead, it'll be more exciting, like the ol' style 1 hour quali.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

Each car completes six laps in each of the two sessions; the fastest lap times from each session are added to get an overall time used to determine the starting order.

Some more details here.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭brainstorm

If you think about it, its pretty much bringing back the old 1 hour 12 lap session, except for the agg times and split session. Dunno why they changed it in the first place, cos everyone gets the same amount of tv exposure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

Originally posted by brainstorm
    If you think about it, its pretty much bringing back the old 1 hour 12 lap session, except for the agg times and split session. Dunno why they changed it in the first place, cos everyone gets the same amount of tv exposure.

Yeah, bring back the old system. We should see the cars on the absolute limit with low fuel and the tyres to best suit the conditions. The new system is tedious and it's too difficult to get a real idea of who qualified well and who didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭irishman_abroad

I think they should go back to the full hour qually with 12 laps. It gave the teams more leeway with the way they ran it. ie 4x3lap runs or 3x4lap runs.
    And at least you knew there and then who was on pole, I dont think this aggregate thing is a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

The problem with the old system was that nothing happened for half an hour, then too much happened at once.

I would've preferred something like two half our sessions spread over Friday and Saturday. Friday in full qualifying trim and Saturday in race trim, compulsory 6 laps in each and an aggregate of the fastest on each day.

Originally posted by Doctor J
    I would've preferred something like two half our sessions spread over Friday and Saturday. Friday in full qualifying trim and Saturday in race trim, compulsory 6 laps in each and an aggregate of the fastest on each day.

The problem with that, 6 laps on Saturday with race fuel being a waste. Fastest lap would usually be last lap, and the cars have small tanks, so in order to carry enough fuel for laps (and move fast enough on in and out laps to keep out of the way of fast cars) would require REALLY early pitting, making grid position a bit of a sham! :)

The current idea is ok I think, we'll see drivers on the edge again, and there'll always be some action on the track! In theory. Now to see if it works....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

bring back the old system, these changes were brought in to stop schumi et al and it hasnt worked, of course the new system means that all the sponsors on the small teams get seen.

BTW did you see that sponsor on jordans rear http://www.libid-x.com (could be work unfriendly) WTF??? :D

03.jpg

haha, class :) once its money for the team, yay!

Advertisement