Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I was paying an Insurance Policy twice

Options
  • 31-05-2004 5:16pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I came across this a few weeks ago,what happend was I switched mortgage companys about a year and a half ago and I wanted to up my police just in case I need more cover so I did this and went with the same company.Then about 3 weeks ago I noticed that I was paying it twice.

Now the thing is am I due a refund....?as if I was to clam in I am sure they would not pay me twice.I have been on to them and some girl cancelled one one of the polices and she said she would "look in to it and see if I was due a refund".Has this happend to anybody....?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Course you are due a refund. Two policies covering one insured thing (like a house) is against one of the four principles of insurance.
    Would you be due a refund if you paid for a mars bar twice?
    Or were charged twice for one graphics card?

Take no quarter and demand a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Dub13, is the insurance with one or two companies? If with one, there is a clearcut case for a refund, I'm not so sure if you have two separate insurers that aren't aware of the other.

Did you use a broker?
    Originally posted by Sleipnir
    Two policies covering one insured thing (like a house) is against one of the four principles of insurance.
    Actually not quite so. You can't profit from insurance (by claiming the full value on two policies), it doesn't mean you can't have two policies in the first place.
    Originally posted by Sleipnir
    Take no quarter and demand a refund.
    But make sure you aren't claiming first!

Check out http://www.scs.ie/publication/hritoc.asp to see if you are paying the right amount for insurance.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

No they were both with the one company,as far as I can make out they just did not cancel the first direct debit.I hope I am due a refund...cash I never had maybe another Holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I imagine it's just a matter of explaining to them that they were charging twice

Then they can hardly argue not having knowledge of the other policy. Just make sure that one payment per month (?) covers the full policy amount and that the policy value is sufficient.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I will thanks....of the top of my head I should be due about 1500 80 x 18.Not bad I should go through my finance more often

• Advertisement
Advertisement